Tell me what you think about the reviews layout?

Lemmiwinks

Hi there! I'd like your inputs on the new layout for the reviews section. The main thing that's bugging me are the comps: if I put all releases of a year in one section then the comps will be all over the place. Some start with "V/A", others start with "VA", still others start directly with the comp name. Then the even more difficult part is that some have a space between the "VA" and the title, maybe an example will be better: say all comps start with V/A. Then you have them sorted differently if the title is "V/A Name" or "V/A - Name" or "V/A-Name" or "V/A -Name"... Now I could set up a rule saying that everyone should start their reviews of a comp with a standard title (say "V/A - Name"). But then I think that there's a good chance that not everyone will respect that format so I'll have to edit the posts all the time. The other solution would be to make 2 subforums in each year - one for artist albums and EPs and one for comps (like the system I'm currently trying out for 2005). I could eventually add a Chill-out section making this forum's sorting look almost identical to the database system we loved so much. This would be more convenient as all the comps would be in just one place but then there would be too many forums...

So what are your ideas? You're also free to tell me other ideas, they are all welcome :) Just a few replies to some FAQs: no this system won't replace the database accessible when clicking on the left menu bar on "Goa Reviews". It would be too difficult to manually copy all the reviews and what's the use in copying in 2005 reviews written in 2000 anyway? It will be a bit awkward for older releases since they will be double-featured but keep in mind this is only a temporary solution.

And I heard some complain that the Forums section should stay on top... personally I think that it should stay below the reviews simply because this was initially a reviews site so it would be a way of "going back to our roots". The main idea was that people would come to psynews (goatrance.free.fr at the time for those who remember ;) ) to read/ post reviews and then they would eventually drop by the forum to discuss some psytrance matters... then it went to discussing non-psytrance matters (hence the off-topic section) and now it seems more like people come to the forum and occasionally read/ post a review or 2... Personally I found the original system better and basically what made this site much better than other psytrance sites. What do others think?

I don't like the idea of every year having a separate board. :(

Original was better, BTW. The way of reviewing on the left side.

But this new way generates better reviews. :huh:

I don't like the idea of every year having a separate board.  :(

Original was better, BTW. The way of reviewing on the left side.

But this new way generates better reviews.  :huh:

245438[/snapback]

what you mean by clicking on "Goa Reviews"? I agree but that isn't an option for now until that V2 version will come. In the meantime all I can do is reorganize them under a forum version...

what you mean by clicking on "Goa Reviews"? I agree but that isn't an option for now until that V2 version will come. In the meantime all I can do is reorganize them under a forum version...

245440[/snapback]

Yeah, you said that. :(

But as I said previously, make the year-specific boards subboards of one big board. That would make it look a BIT better, anyway. :)

Guest antic

Don't like it, its too spread out. For a forum, the one room was working well I thought - easy to search, no muss, rather informal.

I say wait until you have a real review database kicking before doing much with the reviews.

245487[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly! :)

I don't mind it at all...I actually find it better than previous forum reviews section...That one was more confusing than this one...here, you have a year and you just go there, like in the previous reviews section, only here is separated...

But as I told you in PM, Lemmi, if you want to organize comps better, take the VA out completely and rename them into original comp name...if anyone see one name it would be obvious that is the compilation... ;)

easy to search, no muss, rather informal.

how the hell was it easy to search??? If you were searching for anything else than the latest releases it was practically unusable... Also, if I put them all in one place then this site isn't anything special compared to isratrance, trance.net or sonicblend... IMO we need a system that attracts reviewers who find those too confusing (and which was the main reason why in the database days people prefered reviewing here...)

I like it a lot! It's much better from the original review forum where you had to search the pages and pages to find the review you want, but of course it can't beat the database. I like the albums and comps separation but I think it's better to get off the VA from the topic titles. I mean you already click the comps sub forum so you know that tey are comps.

• 2 weeks later...

Please sort by most recent posts instead of topic title!

1. Most entries will be on recent releases, therefor it's more intuitive to sort by recent posts instead of topic title.

2. After a couple of months there will be several pages to scroll through, and that's just irritating, especially since the pages are numbered and not alphabetized.

3. There's just too much room for human error; a topic starter might enter incorrect information in the topic title making it harder to find it, and it's causing a lot of extra unnecessary work for the moderators.

how the hell was it easy to search??? If you were searching for anything else than the latest releases it was practically unusable... Also, if I put them all in one place then this site isn't anything special compared to isratrance, trance.net or sonicblend... IMO we need a system that attracts reviewers who find those too confusing (and which was the main reason why in the database days people prefered reviewing here...)

245576[/snapback]

It was easy to search cuz I could just go type "Overlap" in the search box at bottom left and wham - every release with an Overlap track mentioned gets popped up. Real easy. Try it now - you'll find it doesn't work from the same place. You can't even click on 'reviews' to get to that forum group and then search from the box - it still comes up empty because the default search doesn't look into sub-forums. Bad design!

Secondly, I don't think the organization of the reviews makes this forum special, really. It is a different atmosphere here, that's what is good about it. I don't mind reviewing casually, and many others don't either. It makes for more open discussion of the music. Like I said - once the new database is in place it would be great to switch, but... before the current setup, the 'one big review forum' was working very well for the site.

My 2 cents, elaborated.

i thought it was a great effort to make this review section, and it is IMO indispensable to sort per year, as far as i m concerned this review section totally works for me. The only little bad point is that we have to click on page 2, page 3 ...we don't have all the reviews of a year on one page. But it's not a big problem actually.

I think it's an ok for solution for now (untill the second version comes)

but 2 things

I would put the review section at the bottom, not on top of the forum

and like said already, the topics with new posts should be on top...

I think it's an ok for solution for now (untill the second version comes)

but 2 things

I would put the review section at the bottom, not on top of the forum

and like said already, the topics with new posts should be on top...

256538[/snapback]

When does it come?

Guest Rain

well I didn't read this topic entireley so don't know if it's menitoned yét...

I said in the pm you sent me that everything was fine but I notice while using it that the fact everything is sorted by alfabet isn't a good thing to use always...

when people post reply on a revieuw of ultravoice I have to go to page 5 to discover that for example...

I think there should be a 2 option...

sort by alfabet

sort by latest post reply

in the revieuw section... so people can check out the revieuws but also keep up the latest post...

I think there should be a 2 option...

sort by alfabet

sort by latest post reply

in the revieuw section... so people can check out the revieuws but also keep up the latest post...

256833[/snapback]

good idea, i'd go for alfabet, but i see there are a lot of people here who 'd go for the second option.

And last thing, a rating system would be great, every reviewer choose a rating between 0 and 10 if they want, and you have the average rating for each album...it would be awesome, but i know i ask too much :D