pr0fane

Artist: Wrecked Machines

Title: Second Thought

Label: Spun

Format: CD

Released: January 2005

Tracklist:

01. Rubberneck

02. Spotless Mind (w/ Nick Laniado aka Panick)

03. Bend of Mischief (w/ GMS & Pixel)

04. Relation Chip (w/ Pixel)

05. Accustix (w/ Bansi)

06. Tension Sheet (w/ Domestic)

07. Tingling Sensation (original by Shanti Matkin… rmx)

08. Rhapsodie (w/ the Antidote)

09. Check In

10. Trancespoting (w/ Domestic & Pixel)

This review isn't as extensive as usual, but since nobody made a review yet, I thought I'd start out with my thoughts:

This Brazilian prodigy has been involved in some of the most memorable full on releases the last 3 years – from his own debut album "Blink" to massive partyhits like "Mind Stuck", memorable collaborations with artists like Star-X and Dual Head/Pixel/Domestic and a massive remix of Sub6 and Pixels "One Shot". Only 6 months ago he even released the beautiful progressive "Electra" with subtle goa-influences, so my expectations for his second album where enormous – unfortunately they weren’t fulfilled.

My impression is that the Spun-sound has been a bad influence on him– the focus in a lot of the tracks is on those fast GMS-trademark squeaky hands in the air melodies, while I miss the rougher, deeper sound and more subtle melodic-work from his earlier releases. Don’t get me wrong though, I like a lot of the material from GMS and Spun in general and neither of the tracks here are pure garbage – but it wasn’t nearly as good as expected from one of my favourite full on artists.

It isn’t all bad though – there are a few very noteworthy highlights, like the Panick collaboration "Spotless Mind", which resembles some of his best work from 2003 and 2004 - and of course the fantastic remix of Underworlds immortal classic "Born Slippy" – a remix that was the definite highlight of the entire VooV Experience 2003 for me, and I'm happy to finally own it.

Those 2 tracks really make the album worth the money, and the dance floor qualities throughout the album are certainly very distinct, so overall the album is well above average - but I was expecting more...

6/10

my thoughts exactely...

especially when u said that

"My impression is that the Spun-sound has been a bad influence on him– the focus in a lot of the tracks is on those fast GMS-trademark squeaky hands in the air melodies, while I miss the rougher, deeper sound and more subtle melodic-work from his earlier releases. Don’t get me wrong though, I like a lot of the material from GMS and Spun in general and neither of the tracks here are pure garbage – but it wasn’t nearly as good as expected from one of my favourite full on artists."

i feel the same way.. he made too many tracks with gms, and now he seems to sound more like them...

i was expecting a lot from this album after tracks like mind stuck, echo groove or blasterizer (my 3 favs from him) but i got very disappointed...

too many collaborations i think on this album... and it's been a trend lately.. it's like we no longer get an artists album but one of collaboration... and it shows in some of the tracks... while i think it's a great learning experience to collaborate with other artists it doesn't always produce the best results imo...

anyway fav tracks 1 (minus the melody during 2nd part), 2 and 6.

6/10

holy #*$#

this is great music!!! some tracks are very inspired. i would almost call this western-style club psy - thats my style too!! ;)

not all the songs are awesome, but there are a couple that are sooooo good. i love the beatboxing track (cream!!!) and the trumpets track (Ateam!!). these tracks make me smile and close my eyes....

im so addicted to this right now!

sun rating: 10/10

cheerz,

dave

B)

This album is quite different from Blink but don't let that put you off. There are some real little diamonds in here. Track 3, Bend of Mischief is a funky little foot stomper with hilarious trumpets and some weird sounding electro fiddle cum clarinet thing happening - very upbeat, well produced number that i'm sure the punters will love. track 5 is run through with catchy riffs that will have them up, and track 7 Tingling Sensation rmx of is pretty cool although I hear not much different from original in line with the overall feel of the album which is oriented around catchy tunes rather than a psy trance journey. I guess that's to be expected with people like Pixel, Domestic & GMS having a hand in the album. If you like that pop psy sound of people like Sub-6 - and are partial to a bit of waving your hands in the air now and then you'll probably enjoy this too.

heavily influenced by the spun lot it seems gabrielle has had little to do with this and handed the lot over to GMS and Pixel-well thats how it sounds. if your after a highly polished club sound then look no further but if your after a low down dirty Wrecked machines cd you will be sorely diappointed. However on the plus side the production is impeccable and if your a little bit like me you could slip some of these tracks into your set to capture the reaction from those who ain't so used to the psy trance sound.

• 1 month later...

Sounds rather dull and sterile. Spotless Mind is ironically good, more depth to be heard. A Team is cheeky but somehow more appealing for having some distinct elements. Much of the rest is just bland - or even spiced with a hint of "Zombie Nation" if you know what I mean. I was excited to read that they had done a remix to Born Slippy but I'm disappointed after hearing it... it doesn't take off at any point - which is what I want a psy remix to an old rave classic to do! Meh, another mediocre Spun release.