Eat Static - The Alien EPs

Guest Astro Cortex

Guest Astro Cortex

Eat Static - The Alien EPs (1999 Mesmobeat)

Posted Image

1. 07:38 Almost Human (Abduction Mix)

2. 07:13 Pupae (The Locust Song)

3. 05:46 Inaana

4. 06:14 Mother Planet

5. 06:52 Monkey Man

6. 05:17 Medicine Wheel

7. 06:58 The Fourth Dimension

8. 06:54 Habibeep

9. 05:52 Alien

Now this is some extremely oldschool stuff from psytrance pioneers Eat Static. It's even oldschool compared to oldschool psy ;). It's a CD retrospective of their very limited first EPs: Monkey Man/Habibeep, Inaana/Medicine Wheel, both from '91, and the Alien EP from '92, which was made up of Almost Human (Abduction Mix), The 4th Dimension, Pupae and Mother Planet. The track Alien wasn't released before.

This is Eat Static at their most tripped-out, crazy and psychedelic, and I count these tracks to their best work to date. Eat Static started as an Ozric Tentacles offshoot project and there is indeed an Ozric feel in this early stuff. as it still contains these lovely, spacey ambient synth lines you can hear in the Ozrics' early works.

At first we have the excellent Almost Human (Abduction Mix), which is a driving 4/4 version of the more drum'n'bass-like original (released on their debut tape album Prepare your Spirit). What comes next is one of my fave Eat Static tracks, Pupae (The Locust Song), the best track on here. It's a real kick-ass tune with an utterly funky bassline and a great spaced-out Ozric-style melody. Wicked! Inaana I don't like that much, it's a bit annoying and childish sounding, but it's still not bad. Then comes one of the coolest and funkiest tracks ever, Mother Planet. It has the trademark (for their older work at least) "UFOs and stuff"-samples and wow, how the hell did they create those liquid noises from outer space? We already had the "locust song", and this one could as well be called the "jellyfish song" ;). Next is Monkey Man, they've overdone it with the samples a bit in this one, but it's still a decent and tripped-out tune. After that we haveMedicine Wheel, this is a real pumping tune, with a nice Ozric-type melody and wicked sounds all over the place. The Fourth Dimension is really an outstanding track, it has a melody that shouts "classic!" at you, really, and it's so damn trippy with all those crazy distorted dub bubbles and cut-up voice samples. Habibeep is another awesome tune, and it's amazing how much this already sounds like the "Goa trance" that came out in masses around '95/'96. Surely ahead of its time. And then there is Alien, which is downright funky and filled with all sorts of quirky sounds and samples. It's a real funny sounding tongue-in-cheek type of track. Shouldn't be taken too serious, it's just funky alien music ;)

Yeah, Eat Static are my first choice when it comes to kick-ass psy trance, especially this crazy old stuff. It's "fire in my brain!" ;)

Yeah, this cd is definetely a killer, if only I could find it at a decent prize.....  :unsure:

225693[/snapback]

have you tried amazon.com? you might find some old albums at very low prices. e.g som1 i know had bought Doof - Let's Turn On for just 6 euros ! :D

B)

• 5 months later...

Yup, it's allright... I think maybe it's a bit to "barren" for me. I'm more into the enveloping soundscapes of implant and abduction.

-Anywho... How inportant is "prepare your spirit"? I have ALL the other major Eat Static albums - do I need this one?

-A

Yup, it's allright... I think maybe it's a bit to "barren" for me. I'm more into the enveloping soundscapes of implant and abduction.

-Anywho... How inportant is "prepare your spirit"? I have ALL the other major Eat Static albums - do I need this one?

-A

317303[/snapback]

To be honest, haven't heard that one myself, BUT on the other hand, everything I've heard from ES has been blown-away music, total top notch! :)

So yes, definitely get it if you're into their sound.

:)

(I should get it myself too hehé :) )

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Astro Cortex

Prepare your Spirit....

Half of the tracks on this double CD are not really my cup of tea (it's some oldschool rave/techno stuff), the other half is brilliant.

And the versions of Almost Human, Medicine Wheel and 4th Dimension are different versions from those on Alien EP's :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

An excellent collection of tunes here. Most you probably have from other releases but if you don't have any eat static then check this out ;)

I have found eat statics new stuff to be very good but not as good as there old stuff. Except the tracks on chill comps they are great!