Dark Goa , yes it exists...

AmithabaBuddha

Chakra and edi mis is acidic and has crazy parts, but doesn't have that atmosphere imo ... Crop circles have some more nighttime music (anatomasia), but tracks like lunar civilization have a rather cheesy over the top melody over it :)

Mfg - Project Genesis

Sandman - witchcraft

Ux - Ultimate experience

Alienated - FF

Xenomorph - cassandra's...

Darshan - awakening

Some cydonia

Hux Flux - perceptor/time slices/logarytmic

Process - internal horizon/dealing with demons --> not that darkish, but nice nighttime atmosphere

Syb unity network

Ka-sol - professor mephisto

Psyhopod - universal mind/ stop the carnage

Rythmystec - plutonica

• 14 years later...
On 10/14/2022 at 10:54 PM, Penzoline said:

Well the thread is from 2008 and scythe of orion came out in 2010. :lol:

But yes, a monster album that one. I actually have it on CD.

Lol, yes I realised after posting but was too lazy to edit.

Do you know of any other good dark albums that released after 2008 and aren't mentioned here?

Rastaliens "Freestyle" - an old favourite with a dark melodic sensibility and killer basslines. Sits poised on the cusp between Goa and psytrance, a bit like "Classical Mushroom". Yet another wonderful trance album with bad cover art. 

I wonder if it is worthwhile to distinguish between dark and hard, though of course there is much fertile crossover between the two. For me, Darshan are more on the hard side than the dark. They tend towards science fiction rather than horror, if that makes sense. Either way, Darshan are indeed excellent, though I prefer the first album. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DoktorG said:

Rastaliens "Freestyle" - an old favourite with a dark melodic sensibility and killer basslines. Sits poised on the cusp between Goa and psytrance, a bit like "Classical Mushroom". Yet another wonderful trance album with bad cover art. 

I wonder if it is worthwhile to distinguish between dark and hard, though of course there is much fertile crossover between the two. For me, Darshan are more on the hard side than the dark. They tend towards science fiction rather than horror, if that makes sense. Either way, Darshan are indeed excellent, though I prefer the first album. 

Thanks, that Rastaliens totally sounds like my jam - Classical Mushroom is literally the first first psytrance album I ever heard and needless to say it opened my eyes!

Definitely agree dark doesn't necessarily mean hard, in fact I don't like hard psytrance at all.  By "dark", I mean dark themes, stories, etc.  Doesn't have to be horror per se, for example the Cybernetika album I mentioned is dark sci-fi which I love (it's also quite hard, so now I'm contradicting myself!)

• Like 1

I agree with the notions of previous posters. Dark Psytrance can clearly be a lot of different things, dark as in a foreboding/sinister sensation. Dark as a mysterious/enigmatic touch etc. 

In my mind the immediate conceptual idea I associate with dark psychedelic music is the paranormal spooky themes with ghosts, ESP, telepathy and what have you. Infected Mushroom-Return of The Shadows, is spooky and dark to me, Bust A Move has spooky aspects too. Hallucinogen-Gamma Goblin pt2 for sure as well.

The Classical Mushroom album to me is rather dark in a romantic/nostalgic gothic way. Then there's the popular dark cosmic themes, very popular in Goa-Trance for sure.

I would argue that the dark paranormal aspect of Psytrance certainly is one if its most compelling and unique selling-points. When comparing the genre to other electronic genres such as Techno it becomes very apparent. I can't think of any other music genre that so exquisitely explored and perfected these type of themes.

Then we have the funky dark parodic styles, Talpa springs to mind and Cosmic Conspiracy Records whole catalogue.

One thing I think is a bit under-explored is Dark Euphoric styles. Infected fits in this category with some tracks from the Classical Mushroom album. (The Shen). Perhaps Artifact-303 as well somewhat with his latest album, but in a more cosmic euphoria with dark touches. Filteria-Pyrogen has some dark euphoric cosmic elements.

MFG-Project Genesis, UX-Ultimate Experience and Hallucinogen-Twisted are very cosmic and dark euphoric at times.

There is much more! The topic is vast and very interesting! :) 

• Like 1

I went to Goa a couple of times in the early 2000s and two cd albums that caught my attention because they were just everywhere for sale were MFG "The Prophecy" and Rastaliens "Freestyle". No other cds were as available as those two in Anjuna. I guess that someone, probably slightly obsessive and with good taste, just copied tons of each. This might be relevant because Goa, especially early on, crosses over with techno, trance, acid etc and has been seen as fluffy or cheesy. Just one example in the form of a question to make the point: was Technossomy a Platipus band or a Goa outfit? For every hands in the air Goa anthem, there is a darker minor part of the track, or another darker track, or another outfit making more introverted sounds. Darkness has been part of Goa from the beginning is what I'm saying. This is inevitable with a Dionysian cultural movement, because every euphoria has its come down or shadow. In the Shiva trance dance you have to navigate the darkest hour before the dawn when you are tired and the music is at its most intense. Moreover, as Magus so rightly observes, how could a space-themed style not be full of the infinite darkness between the stars? Whilst "The Prophecy" is not dark exactly, its main theme is ominous and MFG's industrial roots come through in the music. Rastaliens always lurked in the shadows. Goa in the 2000s was not the Goa of the late nineties, but I think the point still stands. What I like about this is that like any good art form Goa has its salt and pepper, its light and dark. It makes sense that we'd be more attuned to the dark side now, given the darker times in which we are currently living. Do we see more eco-apocalypse, conspiracy, horror, and so on, in contemporary trance? But forget all that, in the true spirit of darkness there can only be one dark lord:

X E N O M O R P H    

muaaaahhhhahahahaha

• Like 3

On 10/16/2022 at 3:11 AM, StratosOZ said:

Lol, yes I realised after posting but was too lazy to edit.

Do you know of any other good dark albums that released after 2008 and aren't mentioned here?

Some great thoughts above.

The first one that jumps to mind is Alienapia – Goapocalipsis (2010).

Apologies for the name dropping, but I did just want to mention the dark releases in "progressive trance". Some of the minimalist prog that came out after the millenium was dark:

Noma "Navigator" album

Tegma "Werewolf" & "What's Akabar" 

12 Moons "Hunting Demons", "Back to Basics" & "Into Oblivion"

Echotek

Holeg & Spies

Beat Bizarre 

Planet B.E.N.

Special mention of the Beat Bizarre remix of Tegma's "Werewolf" - what a superlative dark track!