DAMN SIMON POSFORD!

God dammit! He's spoiled it for me!

His 4 biggies (Twisted, Deranger, Shpongled?, Inexpressible) have totally ruined almost all other music for me!

Anbody else suffering from STG Syndrome? (Simon's Too Good)

And i STILL notice new stuff occasionally with those albums. It's funny how it might seem like there's almost silence in some of those Shpongle tracks, but if you turn it up there's a whole world of noise going on.

He's just too good.... he's spoiled me.

Anybody agree, or am i just obsessing?

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not to say I can't listen to other music now. It just seems like he's SO far above these other artists it's absurd!

It's like smoking a bong hit of some bullshit weed and then trying some chronic. The shitweed just doesn't do it for ya any longer...

Guest hhhhheliummmmmmmmmmm

oh, blablabla :)

Gr8 music(i don't like "Twisted" at all tho) but i just don't see how one could place it on a pedestal far above albums like:

X-Dream "Radio"

Hux Flux "Cryptic Crunch"

Logic Bomb "Headware"

etc etc etc- just some of my favs

What is it that you say such things for???- is it the complexity, the melodies and sounds that are SSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than anyone elses, the beats, rythms, etc???

I mean man, those 3 i listed above are every bit as complex, outrageous, and dynamic as Posfords "Hallucinogen" stuff.

Shpongle is like comparing apples and oranges tho and I do agree it's the "best" ambient type stuff i've heard...

But as for "Hallucinogen" being "better" than all the rest, i just don't see it...

not me as there are alot better out there.

Rock bitch mafia blows Twisted out of the water and almost knocks off The Lone Deranger however Sphongle cannot be beaten even by most real trance.

Stumpling you will probably not get many people agreeing with you here with a post like that. , but , i can semi agree with you anyway.

I think Shpongle is amazing. I think simons music is amazing.

And man agree with you about the weed. We have cryp where I am, and when we are out of that , i will not smoke regular weed. Its just so weak compared to the good stuff. Theres a few albums out this year that raise the bar for the psy scene. Shpongle being one of them.

Guest MadTrippz

Quite the contarary, I agree 100%. After gettin my head blown to peices by SIR Simon nothing ever comes close to that warm, tingly feeling Hallucinogen and Shpongle give me.

SIMON IS GOD

Yes I agree that Simon Posford is an amazing producer, but I have found many others are just as good, but not better. Ok, cutting Shpongle out of the scene, and please do not kill me again!!, hallucinogen and his other full on projects are damn amazing!! But...I have found a number of acts as good such as Spacecat, Psycraft and a few others :)

It just hit me, I don't know why I didn't notice this earlier.

Yeah, I'm totally biased from the DRUGS! it's the DRUGS! Those Shpongle CDs have been playing during the best trips of my life......

Hallucinogen was playing during the most time-wasting trip of my life (i was sitting there freaking out most of the time, stupid me!).

All the other music I've listened do haven't been on such dramatic trips.

But god damn, even without the drugs...... @!#$! It's the combination of so many different things I notice he does with his music that build each and ever track into something incredible. I don't think I get that from any other artist.

X-Dream - Radio, Juno Reactor - Shango, all my other favorites (which i love dearly, don't get me wrong!) were great..... but just don't "get me off" like Shpongle/Hallucinogen

Somebody had mentioned that Shpongle was like comparing Apples to Oranges?!

HOWSO! Music = Music. Shpongle DOES indeed compare with psytrance, just as hip-hop can indeed compare with classical....

Music is music. It's all made out of a bunch of sounds. And whichever music is made of the most cool sounds arranged in the best orders will create the coolest music.

Simon creates, in my opinion, the coolest music.

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

but i'm probably still just obsessing :)

Guest lifeform

Stumpling... I agree totally. I've have yet to hear anything better than posford. Some of IM's stuff can compete with it, but surely doesn't beat it. No one does is like posford. He is the one of the alltime kings of psychedelic music, for sure.

Guest vasyachkin

well, Posford may surpass most psytrance artists, and after listening to Posford and Etnica/Pleiadians a lot of psytrance does get paler, BUT

i still find MANY artists, like Depeche Mode, Delerium, Jean Michel Jarre to be AT LEAST as good or better

Maybe we should all email Simon and start telling him he sucks ass so he'll try even HARDER!

NOBODY buy his next album, lol, just download it (i've bought all his other CDs), and start FLAMING him. "SIMON, YOU SUCK! INFECTED MUSHROOM AND ASURA HAVE YOU BEAT BY MILES!!!!" and stuff like that

Let's see if we can squeeze even more talent out of the guy, LOL!

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

hey vasyachkin,

depeche mode and delerium eh? wow...i dont much listen to dp, older stuff is ok...and delerium...do you know that delerium as actualy front line assembly? ever hear that track on planet goa (1 or 2 i dont remember which) called evil playground? it says its by f.l.a. its a frontline song. woohaaaa i may be married to goa, but industrial will always be my first love and eternal dark mistress.

oh yeah...i forgott...simon p. yeah, hes cool.

Guest Slidingtrancer

I just think Simon Posford should be wellpaid for what he does without selling out. I think he deserves to make some money. However, money and creativity don't always match. I love all of Simons stuff, but for different occasions. Psycraft for example is REALLY brilliant but laidback, GNOTR is jumpy and Hallucinogen is producing mayhem + steady good tracks...

Dark Soho is nice for darkness, Logic bomb for weirdness.... every mood has an artist with me. But I must admit Simon IS the best producer around the psytrance scene because he does not only master most of the trixxx, he also plays himself AND comes up with new ones. I see Infected's still doing the same trix with percussion and breakz. The only thing I don't really like with Simons music is his constant flaw just going 3/4 in time signature. We've seen it now, Simon....

i'm not much into hero worship, but speaking of my own personal experience with the music, i haven't experienced anything else even remotely as creative and magical and playful out there. x-dream is certainly stronger rhythmically, and the saiko-pod/koxbox project of two-three years probably pushed my mind in more intense directions, but simon is really in a class of his own. when other musicians knock him or his style of music, it's jealousy, pure and simple. you know he can run circles around your compositions and produce sounds you can't even dream of, without breaking a sweat. "tales of the inexpressible," in my rather unknowledgeable opinion, is simply the best engineered album of any music ever made. at the risk of getting flamed by all the born-again self-righteous anti-drug crusaders on this site, your ears and mind in their regular semi-catotonic site are simply not quite well-tuned enough to catch even half of what is going on. sometimes it's just too much, like he's taking the piss at all other psy muscians. "yeah, not bad sport, but i can do that too, but first i'll do it backwards and then forwards and then inside-out and back around and in pitch-bended 4-dimensions, just to keep myself from getting bored." if i was a psy-musician, i think i would want to knock his teeth out, because he's just so much better. (mind you, he wasn't born with that knowledge of synths and sound mangling imprinted on his brain. he must have studied his gear like an absolute fiend to what he does.) fortunately i'm not a musician, so instead of wanting to knock him upside the head, i just want to give him money so he can make more and more and more...

yeah when i listen to Simon's music it's like he going "take THIS! take THAT! check THIS out! listen to THIS @!#$! oh yeah?! try and do THIS!" it's kick-ass!

I've also noticed he kind of uses pieces of music (not just notes) as instruments, harmonizing entire "clusters" of music together in different ways.

And there's that effect everybody's into now where you take a voice or a long soooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnddddd and cut it up make it go sooo-o-oo-o-oo-oooo--o-o-oo-ooo-o-o-oouu-uuu-u--u-u-uuu-uu--uuu-n-nn-n-nnn-d-d-dd. He's mastered that as well. He'll have the same sample playing in 3 different keys, and he'll bust that effect on each one of them differently, fitting it together perfectly.

Fuckin show-off!

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

ok...this is getting out of hand. yes they guy is phenominal..no argument there bbbbuuuuuttttttttt........

s.p is certainly not best sound engineer of all time. im going to have to split that award between walter/wendy carlos (shame on you for not knowing who that is) and pink floyd.

im not going to tell you who walter/wendy carlos is go look it up =). i will tell you though that quite literaly if it wasnt for him/her none....and i mean absolutely none of this music we love so much would be possible....i mean literaly...it would be physicaly not possible.

and im pretty sure that effect strumpling is talking about is a slicer...thats not so hard to do.