If you were rich..

What would you buy, and why? (This seems like a natural topic progression from that other topic regarding old tools and the quality they still impart)

Id buy alot of stuff thats for sure.. First and foremost Id get the JD-800. Or maybe the 990 cause its cheaper, and then get a controller for it. It sounds very particular and the main lead from Spiritual Healing was done in that thing, and thats probably the best lead sound ive ever heard. And theres just no way of getting the same Tonal qualites in any other synth; at least not currently avaliable. The Roland D-50 would probably come closest to the same tone; as the JD-800 had waveforms based off of the D-50.

Id also wanna get the JP8000 cause it sounds so fresh and clean, very digital but very nice. And it has a wonderful arpeggiator/sequencer. Id say its either Virus, JP8000 or Nord lead, and Id pick the JP.

Then Ill get the Fairchild 670 compressor from the 50s. That thing sounds so freaking good, its a tube compressor thats built like a tank (and looks like a tank, aswell). You just cant miss with that thing. Its even got M/S compression; something that staggers me they did all the way back then.

And finally Id buy the API 2500 compressor. Also a beast. Its a VCA similar to the SSL bus compressor; but it has much more control AND a sidechain HPF. So for that extra sub-punchiness. 

Then Id probably be set, the rest Ill make do with software =)

Total cost; roughly:  €56.800

Fairchild 670: €45.000

API 2500: €3000

JP-8000: €7500

JD-800: €1300

• Like 2

Don't need to wonder.

this year I've bought:

DSI Pro 3

Moog Matriarch 

Erica Synths Techno System

Pittsburgh Modular Voltage Research Lab

next on the list is Tascam Model 24, Waldorf Iridium & Novation Summit. 

I posted pics in my other thread about building a home studio. 

ive got a bunch of vintage shit as well buts it's all in storage which is currently Inaccessible due to the lockdown here in Melbourne Australia. 

• Like 1

If I had unlimtied funds I'd buy a separate room for a studio, at least 20 square meters, and invest few grands into a proper acoustic treatment and a good sub matching my monitors. Also a UAD card with full plugin package.

Synth-wise I'd probably buy Waldorf Quantum and Dave Smith OB-6. But most likely I would still use mostly software synths for actual tracks  :)

• Like 2

Room treatment and acoustics is definitely on my list too, that can never be perfect enough. :)

The UAD package would be dream.. But it's a freaking cash grab.. If you buy the cheapest, that's still very expensive you can run like 2-3 plugins at most. Then the dsp is exhausted. So you really gotta spend like, alot, to make it worth while. And then, would it really be worth it? Would it really sound that much better than stock/fabfilter/brainworx stuff? Maybe. Probably. :)

5 hours ago, AstralSphinx said:

I think you added a zero too much to the price of the JP-8000 ;) great list! Definitely the less is more approach. 

To achieve somekind of zen in the studio, where each piece has a deliberate place.

Lol whoops :D

exactly! yes youre right a set budget would be better, i mean theres no way in hell i would actually pay 50k for a tube compressor. :D and just imagine something breaks, thats just one big bummer then. and with all those components, its likely to have to be serviced from time to time. adding much more cost; for something that in the very end - is only slightly better than software. well okay in this case its a bit more than slightly.