Classic Goa Trance basses/leads/FX recreated in modern software

On 8/24/2023 at 12:59 PM, astralprojection said:

Yep. But definitely every sound except drums and fx. Arturia acid looks cool, hope there's a demo. 

7 days time limit? 4 min track length? 

Sure always funny with some limits to work within.

Here are two overviews, one from ADSR and another from Arturia, really nice effect section, and distortion algos (especially the Germanium, Tape, Transistor, Diode and Tube distortion's). Also I really like the GUI it's big and very clearly laid out, it has virtual "rotary LED-encoders" ala Nord Lead 3, the mod section really makes it stand out too

@astralprojection

21 hours ago, Parasphere said:

Headphones mix first test drive with the Arturia Acid V:

Sounds promising. 

I don't remember about my profile picture, I didn't draw the lines myself, probably found a decent template and then worked on that. 

But that's nothing compared to your designs they are always looking awesome... Hope you're selling your services cause you should. Also you sound a bit manic 🫠

• Like 1

9 hours ago, astralprojection said:

Sounds promising. 

I don't remember about my profile picture, I didn't draw the lines myself, probably found a decent template and then worked on that. 

But that's nothing compared to your designs they are always looking awesome... Hope you're selling your services cause you should. Also you sound a bit manic 🫠

Yes haha I began drinking coffee yesterday after a two month decaf. Needless to say the coffee has that effect on my hyper-active brain. :D 

Let me know when you've tried out the Arturia Acid V. Interested to see what you think about it, it had some pretty cool factory presets to get an idea of the possibilities. It even had one preset witch might be a Goa inspired one named: Transwave.

As for the Photoshop/AI stuff, it's only a hobby of mine. I studied a lot of graphics design, animation, and photo related subjects. Things are changing so rapidly right now in that field, that I'm not even sure were the business side of it is heading. With the ample opportunities the AI-field in particular has opened for everyone to create their own stuff instead of paying some person for graphics design/photo studio. Although the quality is obviously all over the place. Back in the day I used to do posters for Psy/Goa parties. Now a days I'm not connected to the scene as I used to be. :)

@astralprojection

How does this Dark Melodic sketch sound? Old school Talpa + Infected Mushroom research/inspo:
Parasphere-Casper(Remix)

7 hours ago, Parasphere said:

Yes haha I began drinking coffee yesterday after a two month decaf. Needless to say the coffee has that effect on my hyper-active brain. :D 

Let me know when you've tried out the Arturia Acid V. Interested to see what you think about it, it had some pretty cool factory presets to get an idea of the possibilities. It even had one preset witch might be a Goa inspired one named: Transwave.

As for the Photoshop/AI stuff, it's only a hobby of mine. I studied a lot of graphics design, animation, and photo related subjects. Things are changing so rapidly right now in that field, that I'm not even sure were the business side of it is heading. With the ample opportunities the AI-field in particular has opened for everyone to create their own stuff instead of paying some person for graphics design/photo studio. Although the quality is obviously all over the place. Back in the day I used to do posters for Psy/Goa parties. Now a days I'm not connected to the scene as I used to be. :)

@astralprojection

How does this Dark Melodic sketch sound? Old school Talpa + Infected Mushroom research/inspo:
Parasphere-Casper(Remix)

yeah AI in terms of graphic stuff is really a bummer. you can just type in what you want and it will create it. i imagine it killed lots of indie artists with that one :(

the casper thing sounded very nice except bassline and kick. replace that with a darker kick and a machinegun bassline and it would sound really good i think. love all that hallucinogen vibes. but kick and bassline do not fit with it, imho.

10 hours ago, astralprojection said:

yeah AI in terms of graphic stuff is really a bummer. you can just type in what you want and it will create it. i imagine it killed lots of indie artists with that one :(

the casper thing sounded very nice except bassline and kick. replace that with a darker kick and a machinegun bassline and it would sound really good i think. love all that hallucinogen vibes. but kick and bassline do not fit with it, imho.

Could try that, do you mean like old Psykovski kinda bass? Link some  song with that type of bassline/kick. And I'll check it out. ^^

I'll dig around in the psy kicks library for something new, or maybe on kick2. 

6 minutes ago, astralprojection said:

maybe something like 

Nice, yeah that's definitely a cool vibe. So for these type of basslines they're not octave jumping I suppose? (listening on phone speaker so kinda hard to tell). Since I can't hear subs on it. Or is it that they do octave jumps but just a tad bit lower as compared to let's say goa?

The kick in the provided link should be no problemos. There are several like that in the psy folder. Or yeah Kick2 sounds like that pretty much out of the gate too.

29 minutes ago, astralprojection said:

no in this case theres no octave jumps. just straight Kbbb.  Yeah the kick is very basic

Gotcha, it's the slightly higher BPM ranges that fits this type of style/Bass pattern as well. I will do some testing of different bass/kicks and BPM/key ranges.

And I suspect they make the decay/envelope on the bass shorter for a snappy feel?

Btw do you know how this effect is achieved:

On her voice there is what sounds like reverse reverbs. I would love such an effect on a voice sample for transition, I've made something slightly similar with just reversing a sample adding reverb to it and then reversing back to original playback direction or something like that. But this effect in the Haunted Mansion movie sounds way cooler, maybe some Eventide or Lexicon preset? There are some similar ones in the Overloud Breverb Lexicon emulation.

Another old school FX experiment I'm playing around with is the water sample through Eventide style reverbs in Gamma Goblins pt2. I've come quite close I'll show you later.

its very likely its an eventide preset. but yep, its a reverse reverb. most reverb units have a preset like that. 

i guess the reverb unit has to have lots of lookahead (delay), i guess sometimes its called pre-delay? tbh im not that familar. im sure the more common reverb plugins have such a thing these days. valhalla for example. 

edit: no, pre-delay is simply the time it takes for the reverb to start. so has nothing to do with it. who knows how reverse reverbs work. 🫠

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I would like to figure out how Sheyba did their leads.

I saw someone said they used an Alpha Juno 1. But the waveforms of the lead in Ancient Lands look like they're based on triangle waves to me, and I thought the Juno 1 could only do combinations of sawtooth and square waves.

The big triangular waves could be the LFO - I'd have to check the frequencies to know. But the smaller, higher frequency waves look kind of symmetrical to me too like little triangles.

Is it a different synth?

Update: I've more or less figured it out. On the Juno 1 some of the sawtooth waveforms have lots of little peaks. They're not really triangular, more sinusoidal, especially at lower VCF Cutoffs. With the VCF Resonance turned up high, I'm starting to get something sounding a bit like their leads. :)

Edited by acid being
Figured it out.

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2024 at 8:12 PM, acid being said:

I would like to figure out how Sheyba did their leads.

I saw someone said they used an Alpha Juno 1. But the waveforms of the lead in Ancient Lands look like they're based on triangle waves to me, and I thought the Juno 1 could only do combinations of sawtooth and square waves.

The big triangular waves could be the LFO - I'd have to check the frequencies to know. But the smaller, higher frequency waves look kind of symmetrical to me too like little triangles.

Is it a different synth?

Update: I've more or less figured it out. On the Juno 1 some of the sawtooth waveforms have lots of little peaks. They're not really triangular, more sinusoidal, especially at lower VCF Cutoffs. With the VCF Resonance turned up high, I'm starting to get something sounding a bit like their leads. :)

Can you link which track you're referring to? If I remember correctly from some interview Sheyba used Jupiter-8, SH-101 and TB-303 a lot for leads and stuff. Probably Juno-106 too, not sure. But I wouldn't exclude the Alpha Juno from the equation either. Do you mean like the lead in Ganesh for example?

1 hour ago, Parasphere said:

Can you link which track you're referring to? If I remember correctly from some interview Sheyba used Jupiter-8, SH-101 and TB-303 a lot for leads and stuff. Probably Juno-106 too, not sure. But I wouldn't exclude the Alpha Juno from the equation either. Do you mean like the lead in Ganesh for example?

I think it is in Ganesh as well but my main reference was Ancient Lands. It's the synth that first appears about 3:30 and is playing solo (well, almost) at 5:28:

When I first started writing my earlier comment, I think I was looking at the waveform at a point where there were other sounds playing and getting confused.

On 3/4/2024 at 4:45 PM, acid being said:

I think it is in Ganesh as well but my main reference was Ancient Lands. It's the synth that first appears about 3:30 and is playing solo (well, almost) at 5:28:

When I first started writing my earlier comment, I think I was looking at the waveform at a point where there were other sounds playing and getting confused.

I love this track! Yeah it can be difficult to get a good isolated piece of a track. Also can be very difficult for example with Jupiter-8 since it has X-Mod which can shape the waveform quite a lot. And also the OSC waveform mixer on the SH-101 etc. Anyways I sometimes when I play around, I'm often getting a "oh that sounds a lot like Sheyba leads" when playing with simple oriental melodies on those abovementioned plugin emulations.

And also when just using an oriental midi melody to audiorealism bassline, instead of using its internal sequencer. The simplicity of that and other Roland filters nails the sound IMO. With some lush reverb.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Parasphere said:

I love this track! Yeah it can be difficult to get a good isolated piece of a track. Also can be very difficult for example with Jupiter-8 since it has X-Mod which can shape the waveform quite a lot. And also the OSC waveform mixer on the SH-101 etc. Anyways I sometimes when I play around, I'm often getting a "oh that sounds a lot like Sheyba leads" when playing with simple oriental melodies on those abovementioned plugin emulations.

And also when just using an oriental midi melody to audiorealism bassline, instead of using its internal sequencer. The simplicity of that and other Roland filters nails the sound IMO. With some lush reverb.

Yeah it would definitely make my top 20 Goa trance tracks at the moment. Sheyba / Elysium have the best rhythms and I love the way it builds up.

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep playing with plugins - you've given me some good ideas. I was some of the way there before but then I got diverted into making music. :)

I wouldn't want an exact duplicate of the lead anyway, just to recapture some of that lovely warm, bright, squishiness. If I had to describe it, I would say it sounds like a thousand glowing chocolate oranges caught some rays of sunshine and partially melted, sent tumbling, rolling, curling up on themselves and gurgling into a puddle of pure bliss! Yes, it's a great lead! :lol:

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 1:21 PM, acid being said:

Yeah it would definitely make my top 20 Goa trance tracks at the moment. Sheyba / Elysium have the best rhythms and I love the way it builds up.

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep playing with plugins - you've given me some good ideas. I was some of the way there before but then I got diverted into making music. :)

I wouldn't want an exact duplicate of the lead anyway, just to recapture some of that lovely warm, bright, squishiness. If I had to describe it, I would say it sounds like a thousand glowing chocolate oranges caught some rays of sunshine and partially melted, sent tumbling, rolling, curling up on themselves and gurgling into a puddle of pure bliss! Yes, it's a great lead! :lol:

Yeah indeed! Sheyba had a very distinct sound! Dreamy and mysterious for sure. Always an adventure for the imagination, when one is in the right mind frame.

I'll try to see how close I can get to something Sheyba-like with the Jupiter plugin just for fun. It's a nice little challenge, and hopefully learn something new in the process!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Parasphere said:

@acid beingPlaying around some with NitzhoGoa, not final just headphones mix, tried to make a "Sheybaish" type acid lead in the beginning. I used Dune3 for the leads and Spire + AudioRealism Bassline.

Nice arrangement. I think you're some of the way there with the Sheybaish sound. It sounded a little sort of thinner but that's probably just my terrible laptop speakers - I need to repair my headphones!

EDIT: My comment was about an earlier video you put up. If there were two, I only heard the first.

What waveforms are you using for the lead is it a saw?

6 hours ago, acid being said:

Nice arrangement. I think you're some of the way there with the Sheybaish sound. It sounded a little sort of thinner but that's probably just my terrible laptop speakers - I need to repair my headphones!

EDIT: My comment was about an earlier video you put up. If there were two, I only heard the first.

What waveforms are you using for the lead is it a saw?

Ah sorry, the first video was only mobile cam of the intro, the last was entire track(mp3) with leads etc, the intro only had like what you could call "pad leads/hooks"

I played around and changed the kick drum today from a regular goa kick to a more Mystica/Shiva Shidapu/Nitzhonot one. Huge kick.  So gonna need some tweaking to re-adjust the levels around it. :D 

I'll upload the mp3 when the mix is more final, it sounded better in the headphones than on the iphone. :P So back to the drawing board.

3 hours ago, Parasphere said:

@acid being try listening to the Sheyba type lead now, it's the first one at 0.26, the rest are more Mystica/Nitzhogoa type leads

Nice work :) That sounds really close to the Sheyba lead - do you mind sharing what shape waveforms you used?

It's a nice mystical feeling track.

• Like 1