Jump to content

Classic Goa Trance basses/leads/FX recreated in modern software


Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, AstralSphinx said:

Btw what plugins do you like/recommend that aim to emulate vintage synths?

Monark, Diva, Repro-1/5, TAL stuff

 

22 minutes ago, AstralSphinx said:

 And what reverb and delay plugins do you like?

Replica XT for delays, Valhalla VV for reverbs

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, recursion loop said:

Monark, Diva, Repro-1/5, TAL stuff

 

Replica XT for delays, Valhalla VV for reverbs

I love the Replica XT. Unfortunately it hasn’t been updated with M1 support yet. U-He Repro looks interesting, too bad it and Diva too don’t have M1 support yet either, so I can’t test it:

”The current version of Avid's toolkit for building AAX plug-ins is not compatible with the Apple SDK needed to build plug-ins for Apple's new ARM/M1 processors. We are therefore not able to provide updated AAX versions on macOS, neither for Intel CPUs, nor for Apple M1. If you're a Pro Tools user on macOS, please continue using the previous version of Repro for the time being. Once the AAX toolkit supports Apple's M1 processor architecture, we will provide new AAX versions for macOS, with support for Big Sur and both Intel and Apple M1 CPUs.”

They don’t like Apples it seems. lol 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any snare/clap similar to the ones like MFG used in Overload Remix, and that Astral Projection often used? It sounds like a gated snare+clap combo kinda? Also found in the Miranda-Gnocchi Remix. It doesn't sound like the pure TR-909/TR-808 snare/claps. Could it be some Linn Drum or some other drum machine layered? 

*Edit found some quite similar ones in Imbas sample pack. :) 

The sidestick sound demoed in this video has a similar vibe:

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A nice old gear list from Isratrances entry on Astral Projection:

Access Virus B 
Amek 9098 EQ 
ARP Odyssey 
Behringer tube compressor 
Bellari RP583 compressor 
Clavia Nord Lead 
Clavia Nord Modular 
dbx 163 compressor (x2) 
dbx 166a compressor 
Digitech effects 
EMS AKS synth (x2) 
E-mu e6400 Ultra sampler 
E-mu EMAX II sampler 
E-mu Morpheus sound module 
E-mu Proteus sound module 
Focusrite Red compressor 
Genelec 1032 AP monitors 
Kenton Pro 4 
Kenton Pro 2000 
Korg DRV3000 effects 
Korg MS10 synth 
Korg MS20 synth 
Korg PolySix analogue synth 
Korg SDD3300 effects 
Lexicon MPX1 effects 
Lexicon PCM70 effects 
Lexicon PCM80 effects 
Lexicon Super Prime Time delay 
MAM resonator 
MAM vocoder 
Manley Massive Passive EQ 
Manley Avri Mu compressor 
Moog Prodigy 
Oberheim Matrix 6R sound module 
Oberheim Xpander

Pentium PC, 550 Mhz, 256Mb RAM 
30Gb hard drive, Creamware pulsar soundcard 
Roland CMU-810 CompuSynth 
Roland DEP-5 
Roland JD-800 Classic synth 
Roland JX-3P synth 
Roland Juno 60 synth 
Roland Juno 106 synth 
Roland MC-202 synth 
Roland MKS-50 synth (x2) 
Roland MKS-70 synth 
Roland MKS-80 synth 
Roland SH-101 synth 
Roland TB-303 Bassline 
Roland TR-606 drum machine 
Roland TR-909 drum machine 
Roland U-220 synth 
Sundtracs Solitaire 40-channel mixer 
Studio Electronics SE1 synth 
Tannoy AMS8 monitors 
Tascam four-channel parametric EQ 
TC Electronic D-One 
TC Electronic M2000 effects 
TL Audio C1 compressor 
TL Audio EQ (x2) 
Urei 1176 compressor 
Waldorf Microwave XT synth 
Yamaha CS10 synth 
Yamaha CS15 synth 
Yamaha DX7 classic synth 
Yamaha DX11 synth 
Yamaha DX21 classic synth 
Yamaha EMP700 effects 
Yamaha SPX90 MkII 
Yamaha TX81Z synth 
Zoom effects

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/22/2021 at 2:21 PM, AstralSphinx said:

Does anyone have any snare/clap similar to the ones like MFG used in Overload Remix, and that Astral Projection often used? It sounds like a gated snare+clap combo kinda? Also found in the Miranda-Gnocchi Remix. It doesn't sound like the pure TR-909/TR-808 snare/claps. Could it be some Linn Drum or some other drum machine layered? 

*Edit found some quite similar ones in Imbas sample pack. :) 

 

tr-606 ? :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

03.30 into the track.

02.17 into the track

02.50 into the track

Okey next research project, the lead sound in these tracks which start at denoted time stamps. It has the same euphoric feeling. Could it be the SH-101 with some phaser and slight distortion/overdrive? Chorus? Or is it something else like the Oberheim? Since both AP and Filteria have those synthesizers (Xpander and 101).

Getting kinda close with the PWM+LFO modulation of the square wave on the 101 clone. For the crying/detuned aspect of the lead.

It has been suggested to me that it could be the Nord Lead. :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Hello and thank you for this topic, there are a lot of interesting things.
I use Hybrid 3 for the bassline and some leads, the sound is really good, i sometimes have the impression of finding typical sonority of the old time.

And i also wanted to say thank you to imba for the few midi basslines, is it possible to have other examples of the same kind, that helps a lot please !

Thank you, have a nice day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Psyoris said:

Hello and thank you for this topic, there are a lot of interesting things.
I use Hybrid 3 for the bassline and some leads, the sound is really good, i sometimes have the impression of finding typical sonority of the old time.

And i also wanted to say thank you to imba for the few midi basslines, is it possible to have other examples of the same kind, that helps a lot please !

Thank you, have a nice day.

 

Yes I agree the midi basslines posted are more interesting/useful than one might think. I'm not sure why I got "downvoted" for thinking that they are. :D :ph34r: What I found most interesting about these midi basslines is that some of them had their note-lenght ever so slightly shortened. Which mitigates the problem with notes gliding into each other, I always assumed that the basses often would be programmed directly into the SH-101 and TB-303's internal sequencers, and that no such things were done to the notes. Since those sequencers lack the finer control over such details. So I guess these guys did actually control their 101 and what not, via midi sometimes.

So this little detail of shortening the note lenght a tiny bit, makes it so that one can adjust the decay setting on the bass further, without the bass notes gliding into eachother. So that reallly proved useful, and also to visually see how the patterns are programmed of course gives insight. For example that one of Dimension-5 bass patterns was two bars with slight variation on the second bar.

One can learn a great deal from analyzing complete midi structures of Goa Trance. Since this style is so very particular with some things. 

A thing I wonder a lot, is since they programmed the bass patterns in that era with notes overlapping the kick drum. Did they sometimes use sidechain? Or was it only mitigated by pitching the kick/bass accordingly. I.E, either pitching the kick really high above the bassline, or vice versa. 

Btw Hybrid 3, never heard of it. Any gud? :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Indeed i use a 303 controlled on midi for the bass, i don't really like the sidechain in the goa i think it sounds too clean and I haven't really used one so far, but maybe i should ? 
Anyway for the goa the kick is always in the background with a good attack, the snares and bass will do the rest, that's how i see the thing.

On an album like that of Man of the Last 3rd - Evosonic has the sidechain been used ?
In fact it would also be good to have songs that use the sidechain and others without sidechain to have a better comparison.

For the Hybrid 3 vst i received a key when buying an akai product, it's been 2 years now and I use it a lot in my productions when i'm on the pc. Strangely i see no one used this vst, there is not even a conversation about it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Psyoris said:

Indeed i use a 303 controlled on midi for the bass, i don't really like the sidechain in the goa i think it sounds too clean and I haven't really used one so far, but maybe i should ? 
Anyway for the goa the kick is always in the background with a good attack, the snares and bass will do the rest, that's how i see the thing.

On an album like that of Man of the Last 3rd - Evosonic has the sidechain been used ?
In fact it would also be good to have songs that use the sidechain and others without sidechain to have a better comparison.

For the Hybrid 3 vst i received a key when buying an akai product, it's been 2 years now and I use it a lot in my productions when i'm on the pc. Strangely i see no one used this vst, there is not even a conversation about it.

Yeah I agree, it sounds so good for example on Hallucinogen’s Twisted album. With that classical mixing style, bass low, kick also but a bit over the bass. And all the other elements neatly encompassing the listener. Which is coicindentally how they teach out mixing on audio engineer programs. So I would assume that Hallucinogen carried that over from his work at regular studios. (or perhaps if he attended such courses).

And yeah I agree regarding sidechain. I think one ”side-effect” which tend to arise from using this trick, is that it promotes a mixing where the bass and kick are at similar levels. Both at front in your face. Pretty much obscuring the levels of core elements for the genre. I can totally understand this preference for more bass focused music though. 

So it makes me very happy to see a comeback and reappreciation of these classical mixing ideals. Mindsphere and Khetzal for example springs mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/12/2021 at 9:04 AM, SYNDRM said:

Doesn’t sound anything remotely like Goa to me. :D And yeah maybe more fitting for a promotional topic. 

Anyways nice try. ;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stumbled on X-Dream fx zaps  @ 02:05 the other day so thought I would share.

Sylenth 1 (likely possible on any decent VA)

Osc A - 2 voices,  Stereo fully clockwise, Pulse wave for OSC A, Retrigger ON, LFO 1 assigned to Pitch A with a pulse wave/square LFO shape, Gain MAX, little value knob fully clockwise, LFO synced to 1/32 and add a touch of delay. No need to even select a filter. Press a key and bingo.

I often stumble on sounds when synthesizing, quite fun when you think oh that's track X, Y or Z so that's how they did it. Sylenth1 is a very good solid synth for many of the VA type old school sounds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MikroMakro said:

Stumbled on X-Dream fx zaps  @ 02:05 the other day so thought I would share.

Sylenth 1 (likely possible on any decent VA)

Osc A - 2 voices,  Stereo fully clockwise, Pulse wave for OSC A, Retrigger ON, LFO 1 assigned to Pitch A with a pulse wave/square LFO shape, Gain MAX, little value knob fully clockwise, LFO synced to 1/32 and add a touch of delay. No need to even select a filter. Press a key and bingo.

I often stumble on sounds when synthesizing, quite fun when you think oh that's track X, Y or Z so that's how they did it. Sylenth1 is a very good solid synth for many of the VA type old school sounds.

Yes it’s great fun, and a learning experience as a bonus. I’ll take listen when I get home. I’ll show my Dune 3 experiment as well. I tried using only Dune 3 and samples for a Goa tune.

I kinda miss the type of creativity that would arise from using something limiting. Such as only Reason or Rebirth, or indeed a few analog monosynths/drum machines+effects.

It would make one focus more on the actual composition instead of endless browsing through presets/samples and plugins.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I make 90pct of the sounds I use in my own tracks myself, including synthesis for kicks and bass lines so don't really waste much time preset browsing : ) I have always just preferred to try and work out existing sounds, the more the synthesize the better you get at it and reverse engineering and coming up with new sounds.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, MikroMakro said:

I make 90pct of the sounds I use in my own tracks myself, including synthesis for kicks and bass lines so don't really waste much time preset browsing : ) I have always just preferred to try and work out existing sounds, the more the synthesize the better you get at it and reverse engineering and coming up with new sounds.

 

 

Yes I agree, still usually when I'm stuck I browse some stuff to get some inspiration. Particularly pads when the track is in its early stages to get some kind of sketch down. :) For leads I find that there isn't really anything which sounds like the Goa I like, so that's always from scratch. It's so easy with these plugins anyways to get something going quickly. Certainly Sylenth1, and Dune 3 I find really inspiring and fast to get from idea in the head to a done lead/pad etc.

And certainly the TAL-101 and Audiorealism Bassline, are just made to get in there quickly as well. What I really use a lot of presets for are sample libraries in kontakt, acoustic sounds, choirs and so on. Much in the same way they did it in the 90's. When they used the Kurzweil K2000 for those type of sounds and for example Roland JD-800 for its lush pad presets.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/30/2021 at 12:12 AM, AstralSphinx said:

I'm rying to replicate somewhat the Hallucinogen type chorus on an acidic 101 line. Anyone who knows any good chorus plugins?

didnt try it but tal-chorus is an option, its that juno sound. 

tal-dac is also great for emulating classic digital synths,  although theres usually a bitcrusher plugin in every daw that kinda can do similar things..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some insight into Simon Posford’s studio routines during his first and second albums

Found in the Discogs Goa Trance group:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76970880@N08/albums

 

EDB2B87C-5AD9-4DCF-9849-0D409F59F758.jpeg

I found the details about the giggling samples in the Gamma Goblins Remix funny. :D Didn’t know that he sampled himself laughing. If I understoood it correctly? Or atleast the running water samples. I guess both.

Interesting as well about his habit at the time of purchasing weird CD’s to sample from. Sample manipulation sure seems to have been a big part of his sound.

I always wondered wtf that sound in Space Pussy was? And what effects it had on it. I’m not sure if it’s a tweaked elephant sample, or some synthesizer sounding really weird.

Slinky Wizard also had some mad sample warping. The baby sample in the beginning of Funkus Munkus for example.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My attempt at some Hallucinogen-inspired 101 acidic lines. :) Used Output Thermal for chorus on the TAL-101. Quite warbly. Also used the Arturia ARP-2600 plugin, Korg MS-20 plugin and 101 for bass as well and other things, SFX was 101 + Korg MS-20. I tried to limit myself to the instruments Hallucinogen used, but in their software counterparts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...