180 BPM songs by 2010??

Guest adrenachrome

Just think: when goa started in 92-93, songs were mostly below 120 BPM, then they bacame around 120-130 and about ten years later it's more in the 140-150 level... If we continue this way, by 2010 we should have a BPM average of... 170-180!!! Think that will be possible?

SMI²LE

Guest bugbread

Uh, shameless, it's not a stupid topic, and if 135 - 150 bpm is what makes trance what it is, what happens to a lot of the trance produced before '95 or so? Stops becoming trance?

Actually, writing goacore was an idea I toyed around with for a while. Seems like it'd be a lot of fun.

Guest --==Miles==--

Exploring the speed limit in techno and trance has already been done in GABBA which was the electronic equivalent of grindcore and thrashmetal back then, including all the cliches: many skulls, stupid samples, wrong people showing up at parties...

U might want to check some out though: some stuff mixes some gr8 acid through the crazy BPMs. (Solar Quest-AcidAirRaid & Choci-DeathtoAmbient come to mind...)

Research on human states of trance has found that beats between 142-148 per minute (varies depending on individual person) put humans in this trance state. Therefore, if they are faster or slower, we don't go in the same trance state.

Guest Ming Lee

i think the BPM is just going all the time.

there will always be full on tracks but the average BPM of these are at 145 tops nowdays.

the exploration of fast tracks has came to some end especially with all the minimal vibe going on ,which most of it is pretty slow.

so i beleieve the scene is slowly going back to it's good ol' 120-130 territory

Guest adrenachrome

My comments...

"I know one great track that is 180 BPM fast! It's kinda slow-fast.. the drums are in 180 but some melodies aren't.." WHICH ONES???? I'd like to listen to some...

"Our pace is the same as the pace of life now, faster and harder.

times are changing....music is changing..." Well, that was pretty much my point of view too

"Actually, writing goacore was an idea I toyed around with for a while. Seems like it'd be a lot of fun."... interesting concept, try some and send me a sample when you're done!!

"Exploring the speed limit in techno and trance has already been done in GABBA".. NOT TRUE!!!! I can tell you, and I know what I'm speaking of cause I was into gabba a few years ago, those "ultra-fast" gabba tracks you're probably referring to are around 145-155 BPM, just like goatracks our days!! AND, with new-school, BPMs are actually lower!! (120-130) Yes, I know there are some experimental gabba tracks with "peaks" of 1000 BPMs, but usually that's not the case. Even terror/speedcore is rarely above 160... Of course, this should be the point where I should mention that not only the BPM rate makes a track seem fast...

"Research on human states of trance has found that beats between 142-148 per minute "... well, can't argue with that since I didn't really do a study... BUT maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it... I mean, 140-150 BPM is the range of music our days, but maybe if this study was made in the early 90s, the "perfect" beat would've been at 120-130 ? The main idea IMO is that people end up getting used to a higher BPM-rate so they always want something faster (sorta like when you want to hear lound music and end up cranking it up untill you've reached max but still feel you want it a bit louder)

"i think the BPM is just going all the time"..; don't know about that one, but it seems a valid supposition... after all, this is what happened to gabber a few years ago...

SMI²LE

Guest phaeton

interesting to see moondancer talking out of his arse ... "most gabber tracks are 145 bpm and nowadays they're 120 bpm" right .. so you mean most gabber is slower than psytrance? :) i think you have no idea what you're talking about, most gabber is somewhere in between 175 and 230 bpm ...

anyway i think this whole thread is pretty pointless because if you listen closely to the music coming out these days you'll notice that, especially the progressive and morning stuff, is slower than it used to be a few years ago ... i haven't heard that many 150 bpm tracks coming out lately (only thing that comes in mind right now is droidsect), and if you think everything was slower in '96 i suggest you to have a listen to oood - rifa ... which is still a lot slower than most gabber, but extremely fast for goa, and because of its psychedelic structure also a lot more energetic than the faster mindless gabber crap ;)

Guest morphing goat ranch

yah i got sick of rifa quicktime.

there will be high BPM goa/psy in the future! definatly. the spirit of the music includes experimentation and that definatly means different song speeds! if you can't imagine well produced high BPM psychedelic music i don't blame you - i can't think of any examples... but use that creative noggin of yours and maybe you'll get an idea - it is possible, plausable, and will happen.

Guest adrenachrome

Yo, phaeton: don't f*ck with me man!! I KNOW what I'm talking about!!!!! If you don't believe me, listen to some new school through a BPM counter and tell me what number you read. The ONLY hardcore style that is a faster than before is terror/speedcore and, like I said, even that is not as high as 180BPM... well, with some exceptions like Thousand by Moby (1000BPM!!! -- yes, it's true!!). Of course, it all depends if you consider the BPM rate the average of the song or just the "peaks" when it speeds up... in that case, you may be right with the 175-230 BPM...

Well, peace to everybody, I like your points of views.

SMI²LE

Guest adrenachrome

Wierd... maybe my BPM counter is fucked up, then? Or maybe we just don't listen to the same songs??

Well, anyway, peace out!!

SMI²LE

Guest bugbread

Hmm...I don't know if it's new or old gabba, but the stuff that's played here isn't that fast (I have no BPM counter at clubs, but I know that the music feels relatively slow for gabba). One thing that makes gabba sound fast is that each beat is equally emphasized, whereas for goa it's often every other beat.

As far as speeds, I know that for one speedcore party, the flier stated "all songs over 200 bpm", but I don7t know if that's the exception or the rule.

As far as it having been done before: yes, high BPMs have been done with gabba / speedcore, but not with goa (or, rather, not much). I will say that Shpongle played over a software DJ program which allows 80% speed increases sounds really, really fucking weird and kinda good.

Guest bugbread

Two edits: the software actually only pitches up 52% (PCDJ Red), and: pretty much everything sounds cool at that speed! Pity that it doesn't preserve the original scale, because you lose a lot of the low end...but try listening to Hallucinogen sped up really fast, and you'll discover that even if it doesn't put you in a trance, it sounds awesome. Especially Jiggle of the Sphinx.

By the way, Shpongle slowed down by 52% makes you feel kinda ill.

• 4 years later...

Just think: when goa started in 92-93, songs were mostly below 120 BPM, then they bacame around 120-130 and about ten years later it's more in the 140-150 level... If we continue this way, by 2010 we should have a BPM average of... 170-180!!! Think that will be possible?

SMI²LE

8018[/snapback]

Yes it's possible :unsure:

SMI²LE

8018[/snapback]

This is 4 years old. And frighteningly prophetic and acurate. There are already Dark Psy tunes in the 160's.

I think it won´t reach 180bpms because I can´t see how it should be possible to get into a state of trance (while dancing) at that speed. And besides that it probably would sound like sh*t!! 150-160bpms is already fast enough I´d say, if not too fast already.