Son Kite - Prisma - Iboga Records

Manuser

R-6313118-1416225707-8754.jpeg.jpg

Release: 2014

Genre: Progressive Techno, Trance

Label: Iboga Records

1. Contact (12:47) consists in a very long beatless intro and we are welcomed to hypnotic minimal techno territory. Pretty convincing for a start, I think it is a nice opener and sets the mood nicely.

2. Transition (10:18) follows a similar recipe with some fun sounds to create some weird old techno groove. Not my favourite but solid enough.

3. Eye See You (8:13) is pure epicness, it knows how to build a progressive trance feel (the original meaning of the trance word), very hypnotic and similar to the first Son Kite album back in 1999. Best track of the album.

4. Travel Blind (13:45) starts quicker than the previous tracks with a typical deep techno rhythm but we have to wait until the 4th minute to progress into something more trancy and interesting. There is a kind of breakdown in the middle of the track with the music becoming very calm so we can hear dream trance elements in the background. Very impressed by this track, sounds like early 1990 techno trance music. Another favourite!

5. Chihiro 61298 (10:38) is not my cup tea, the intro is very long and when the kick hits the ground it develops into deep house techno with clearly not much energy, which I would not mind if at least the hypnotic touch of the previous tracks was there but it isn't really.

6. Synesthesia (14:22) is the longest track of the album. Something strange here it progress so slowly that it does not sound like a 14 minutes track. A bit disappointed though, the start sounds promising with melancholic trance vibes but the second part is nothing special and the beatless outro is very long and too experimental.

7.In Flux (8:32) has a very soft rhythm and like the fifth track remains uninteresting for the most part, nostalgic techno synths that fail to really do anything, they cover some dull techno arrangements. Again not my cup of tea.

Whether or not this album should have been released under the Minilogue alias, who cares really. I don't like that feeling when the opening tracks were promising but then from the start of the fifth track it lose its magic.

I was really seduced by Eye See You, and Travel Blind. These two tracks are the definition of progressive techno trance, it actually slowly develops into something trance and hypnotic. Fans of the first Son Kite album with love these two tracks, for the rest you better not be allergic to techno.

It is just a matter of taste of course, it is obvious Marcus Henriksson and Sebastian Mullaert want their music to be very entrancing and deep with quality over quantity. I just feel Blomma under the Minilogue alias was better for this purpose.

My rating: 6.5/10.

Thank you :) I was waiting for someone to review it.

Eye to see you is my favourite too. Wonderful track.

Yes it does sound a lot like Minilogue than Son kite.

I also agree with you that Blomma was slightly better than this.

Also, artwork is pretty bad :/ I don't like it.

-----

Even after years I'm still mad at myself for backing out from the vinyl crowdfunding! :@ :@ If anyone knows where this vinyl is available for a reasonable price. Please inform me.

• 1 month later...

This is nice as you would expect from Son Kite/Minilogue

All tracks are very minimal and hypnotic and it's not one for a casual listen.

Pay attention though and it unfolds nicely, lot's of small details easily overlooked.

I recommend headphones, a comfortable chair and no distractions, or a summer's day, a comfortable place to sit and no distractions greater than moving clouds.

This is nice as you would expect from Son Kite/Minilogue

All tracks are very minimal and hypnotic and it's not one for a casual listen.

Pay attention though and it unfolds nicely, lot's of small details easily overlooked.

I recommend headphones, a comfortable chair and no distractions, or a summer's day, a comfortable place to sit and no distractions greater than moving clouds.

One nice setting!

Comfy chair + an hour before sunset no distractions, if on a holiday some funny ciggarrettes ;) + clouds + birds returning home. One beautiful evening.

• 4 months later...