Dragon Twins - Psychedelic Schism (new track)

Djuna

Dragon Twins - Psychedelic Schism

Worked a long time on this one, but I think it is part of my better ones. It's really 'full', and moving constantly, with some heavy distorted leads taking over from time to time. Used a couple of new tricks regarding routing and filtering. Something different, I'd like to continue in this style.

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%">

">

• Like 1

All sounds are hardware, you can read it at the track info (which with the latest update of Soundcloud isn't really visible, urgh...). For acid I use my x0xb0x. The first x0x pattern around 4 minutes 10 sec is just clean with some delay, the second one is distorted via a EHX pedal, the Bass Big Muff Pi. Great pedal for acid sounds, has some nice features on it.

The acid pattern around 6m30s is a special one: I've patched it in such a way, that the left channel is the x0x running through the ESP of the MS20, and the right channel is the same pattern without any effects or distortion (hmm or maybe a liiiiitle bit distortion through the mackie mixer, can't remember it exactly). I used a hardware compressor to make the stereo mix of those 2 channels blend together a bit better. I remember I needed way more hands than just 2 recording that; I was fiddling with the knobs of the x0xb0x, as well as the MS20 LFO and filters, and an auxiliary for the flanger effect that is coming up towards the end. Didn't work that great the first few times recording it, but it was very fun to do. :P

Me likey a lot! But i think I told you that already! Keep going in this direction!

Thanks, will do! :)

• Like 1

Wow that all sounds like a ton of fun. For the sequencer, do you sequence it on the x0x (and your other hardware) or do you do most of the sequences and patterns on a separate hardware then use midi? I wish Soundcloud would simply let you pick which layout/style you want, I really dislike the current layout as I forget about the descriptions since they are tucked away pretty much.

But regardless, that all really exciting. I've been planning to get more pedals but my most recent pedal has had some problems so I'm gonna need to figure that one out. Otherwise, for distortion stuff I either use the drive on the EMX on the x0x or channel the x0x into my Bass Station 2 then do some distortion/overdrive with that. Using the Bandpass and having it modulated can have some interesting results.

Cool, I didn't know the BS2 could process external audio! Exactly, processing it through different filters, who are maybe routed to an LFO for example, can really alter your sounds enormously. What's also so fun about the Big Muff is that you have 2 outputs: 1 dry and 1 processed. But if you switch the pedal off you have 2 dry outputs, where you can process one signal and layer it on top of the dry acid sound, play with the 2 faders so one time the processed signal is more audible than the dry signal, and vice versa... Makes it really come alive!

No, I use FL Studio as a sequencer. Basically I write midi for everything, except for the x0x: I only use midi sync for that, so patterns are written within the x0xb0x. I think it has a way better feel to it than just writing midi notes in your DAW and sending it out, it reacts slightly different. More as a whole. But that's maybe just me. :P

Wow, sounds like the BIg Muff can be a lot of fun.

But there is a difference with how the x0x0b0x handles notes and stuff from its own sequencer and from a midi source from my experience. I really do prefer the x0x sequencer a lot more. I personally prefer to use hardware stuff (like the EMX) for sequencing since my laptop's screen is broken and I have to use a monitor for it along with other things such as my gear is on one side of the room while some other stuff is on the other because there isn't a lot of room, going to need to get a new desk and laptop eventually.

Wow, sounds like the BIg Muff can be a lot of fun.

But there is a difference with how the x0x0b0x handles notes and stuff from its own sequencer and from a midi source from my experience. I really do prefer the x0x sequencer a lot more. I personally prefer to use hardware stuff (like the EMX) for sequencing since my laptop's screen is broken and I have to use a monitor for it along with other things such as my gear is on one side of the room while some other stuff is on the other because there isn't a lot of room, going to need to get a new desk and laptop eventually.

Urgh that sucks. :P But it's of course a nice challenge to get to know your hardware better...

Here are some BS2 distortion on the x0xb0x that I was talking about, the videos aren't that great the audio part is more important:

The first one was when I first used the BS2 as a distortion and mainly used the low pass filter

This one is with the band pass filter (and better melody in my opinion :) )

• 4 months later...

Aah, that's nice. Cool frontplate and knobs you got on your x0x by the way. I got a Minibrute SE recently, though I like the MS20's ESP better it's also very nice to process external audio through its LFO's and filter. Not only acid, but soft pads too for example.

• Like 1