A dark goa/oldschool psy party

Blair Thaumic

Just a thought I've been entertaining lately. What about a goa party with only the darker & weirder sounds during the nighttime, and saving the melodious stuff until the very end? I think it'd have a good effect. I've been to a few (very good) outdoor parties circa 1999-2000 that had a progression like this, and I've come to think of it as the original Goa vibe.

In a good studio space it could even work indoors, although there has to be a conscious effort to build a party like this, as well as a crowd that will appreciate it. When I threw a party back in 2012, the music progression didn't quite work: the last track of the night was some hard banging midnight shit, instead of Virtuart or something. Everyone put in their best effort, but some better communication between organizer, DJ, and audience could have made the party a lot smoother.

But if the party has a spooky theme, people expect dark music, and there's a clearly billed and planned for sunrise set (to balance out all the darkness), I think it could be something amazing.

And recording everything for the people who can't be there physically, of course. :)

I don't know if any Southern Californians frequent these boards, but maybe later in the year something could go down. Anyone want to give it a try?

Great idea.

I went to a few parties just like that in the late nineties early 2000's which had darker stuff or at least less melodic stuff (think Flying Rhino Re:evolution II onwards type stuff) through the night then more melodic stuff as the it got closer to dawn and kicking out time. I thought it worked really well and would do again.

I would love this! all goa or do you mean early 2000's psy to end the party? Either way Im in agreement ;p Where in SoCal do you live? I plan to visit a few friends the first week of May. Are you aware of the Twisted party in Boulder, CO on May 9th? I bought a ticket and will be heading here after my California travels

http://www.foxtheatre.com/2014/05/09/0830PM/An-Evening-With-Twisted-Tip-Records-Featuring-Hallucinogen-Live-With-Joe-Russo-Raja-Ram-Dj-Set-Dick-Trevor-Dj-Set-Green-Nuns-Of-The-Revolution

Well the last set would have to be morning music, so anything that fit that description... oldschool goa, maybe some of the less aggressive newschool, and/or some melodic prog.

No I wasn't -- if only I could afford it! I'll make it up to Boulder someday.

I'm in west Los Angeles and actually, May's a good time for at least a house party. B) Will your travels take you to L.A.?

the perfect morning track for me is Protoculure - Melody Machine which ended Morlack's classic October 2003 Frequency Patterns mix ;D

I plan to be in or around LA at some point as its not too far from a 2nd friend I should be visiting. so far, we have nothing planned but I'll let ya know when I do. I do know we will probably be visiting some outdoor sites since that stuff out west captivates me. My buddy Im flying to is in Escondido and will get me at San Diego airport. My summer euro travel plans to festies are further along than this haha

IMO Night time=night/dark psytrance (not what you see 2day 12:00am till 6:30 full blown up fucked up 400bpm crap)

and the transition bitween night and day,dawn= slowly building up towards melodic psytrance

(and not 6:30am-full blown up "yay heres full blasting neo goa/full on or whatever..)

man i feel so werid typing this,imo that's the way it should be.

but who cares anyway,i havent enjoyed in a party for years now.

i guess that's the problem(at least in israel) when you bring the artists themselves to play,back then dj's and collectores

knew how to take you on a real journey.

miss the good ol' dj days.

meh,im getting nostalgic again,back on topic,yeah..night time..totallly :D