Chicks and Goa

well, i think i must be considered one of thee young ones but i totally agree with you elysium. but i think it's not only an age problem or "generation gap" 8how i hate this word) or so. i think there's a big differnce between ppl who only like the _music_ and ppl how like the whole goa _scene_. for me, goa is about being open-minded. and it's a way of living for me.

and now please don't accuse me of pseudo spirituality and being pseudo-plurry and @!#$!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest space_botz

it's all about context! if you're playing full-on psy to a girl who's never heard electronica before, no wonder she doesn't like it! sometimes, you have to *trick* people into liking psy - build it up, layer tracks to come to a point, then hit them with your bomb... tell a STORY... that's what being a DJ is about! that's what *music* is all about! i think that's what most people have trouble accepting about psy... they don't realize that it weaves a tale. i've always felt that i missed the memo on 'how to be a girl', especially the one on what girls are supposed to listen to... ;o)

... I'm a girl...

and I don't feel offended after reading these posts, most of them make sense...

Like EA, I agree, BUT BEWARE OF THE EXEPTIONS !!! :)

Girls mostly don't get obsessed by psytrance: true, I don't know that many...

But "girls don't understand psy"??? What kind of an expression is that?

Anyway... I am totally obsessed by it, sometimes I can't sleep because I have a feeling that I really HAVE to listen through an album that I have in mind... or I wake up in the morning, still wearing my headphones!

And believe me, I don't go to parties for 'sexy' reasons... And don't forget that a lot of men think like that when going to a party! I hate it when annoying guys bother me (sorry, but I can't stand it...) ...the main reason why I'm there is and will always be the music! ... and ofcourse dancing comes along with that... and I like to gather with my friends... and see them dance in peace!

:)~=

Guest Mike Indidginus

So tell me what you want, what you really, really want!

I wanna-huh, I wanna-huh, I wanna-huh, I wanna ziigigijijdfijasojdibigidoobdow :)

Guest space monkey - 604

well .....

off course there are almost as much girls in the scene as guys, but you have to accepts that there are some simple, difference in chemicals in the brain that differs woman and man.

This makes that man have a slightly different brain from women and obsessing over music is one thing, don't conclude that women who do obses over music have male brains! The Two typical male and femae brains are ofcourse extremes, but one can find roots of these ancetroy extreme brains in all of us and so the majority( and i can't stress this enough the majority so that can even be only 40% and then 20% this 20% that....) will follow this and many will follow the example and if not they will still have (again both femal as male) a slight difference.

All in all we are all unigue, all different and are what we are as such, don't get angry don't obsess over futile little differences, they are here and they are making our society a little less grey.

Guest vasyachkin

ironic, kadafi that you should claim that girls understand psy and for your name you chose the cheeziest track from the cheezemasters ... just kidding :)))

girls that DO get it, deserve all the respect, and any girl on this forum is both on internet and listens to psy so i don't know why they would even get offended, but then they are not to be understood ... just kidding :)))

by the way, i love that track too

Guest DJ Full Lotus

I think alot of guys in the scene need to grow up. The great thing about early psy-trance parties in London, was that girls could go to them safe in the knowledge that they could dance and express themselves without some neanderthal beer monster trying to come on to them. Unfortunately, this no longer seems to be the case. All the 'girls' that I know in the scene(my wife included), like all types of music played at parties and a couple of them are as fanatical about this genre as much as some of you guys......

Namaste

Guest vasyachkin

and as for level of intelligence on internet - i find it pretty high, not that it couldn't be better but its an order of magnitude better than that of people not online.

people are just more honest online than in real life thats why they often come off as jerks. if you met me outside of internet you would think that i am very nice and sensitive, haha

Guest Andreas of Amygdala

I can only speak for myself in tiny little Denmark - since I haven't been to parties anywhere else. Here the G/G ratio is fair. And I must say (testosterone-ish or not), there are some fiiiine honeys on the danish floor, U know wa'm saayin'?

Actually 2. of december I went to a party, and the best performance that night was by a female DJ (since I don't care much for Yumade, and that kind of psytrance). I have a lot of friends (girls) who are way more into the music, evil and hard-edged as it is, than us boys.

I don't know if this is special for Denmark, surely - it MUST be the case elsewhere...

I know a cuple of girls making music as well, and for all the right reasons. Guys tend to say: "yeah, I'm getting this Reason program, and then I'll hook up with my homie in this-and-that label to make him publish it..." Yeah right!! A friend of mine (girl...) found rebirth, and is trippin' out of her skull for hours, and want's to learn instead of getting more gear - and just to have fun! Nothing else - that is rarely the case with boys, sad but (I think...?) true...

Don't count on it Vasyachkin. If you're not nice and sensitive and you're just being dishonest, I'm not sure that act would work on me in the long run..

You know, ever since I took my first trip to Wonderland that sunny day many years ago I've been wanting to tell the truth, live the truth, be the truth as I see it. And the truth as I see it is, among other things, that we're all one. We're all the same but different. And that peace, love, unity and respect is more important than the color of your skin, or your sex, or your intelligence. We're spiritual beings in physical bodies. I'm not saying this to sound "enlightened" or anything, ( and I have failed in living the truth miserably many times), but this is what i truly believe. And this belief is what connected us in the goatrance scene and created the music. It's the foundation for the psytrance music. It's what brought us closer together in one magical night than we ever were with even our childhood friends. Put on some Hallucinogen or Doof or Cosmosis or Etnica and listen to what they're saying, they're saying the same thing in millions of different ways. To say that women are "not able to understand" and implying that women are inferior in some way is to go against the spirit of psytrance.

By the way, i'm pretty sure that I would be able to say everything I've said on this forum to your face if we met, if you started saying that intelligence has something to do with being interested in cars or the Internet, which sounds really silly to me.

And about the connection between intelligence and the Internet, I'm currently working as a webdeveloper. And I've started to think that most of my friends that keep as far away from computers as they can are far more intelligent than me...:I Or maybe I'm just sick of slaving for money.

Guest Elysium Project

:-) myckat bra ....

heja sverige.....

I also think it's time for me to get away from my computer...been sitting all day since 12 noon (now it's 21:26 evening)..... but goot finish my web design job...got a deadline!

Intelligent people go out and enjoy the nature and breath in fresh air..... The non intelligent like me stay inside infront of the screen :-)

i've thought a lot about that boy/girl thing in music and i don't really have a answer. even if i am a girl myself. i'm really fanatic for goa and music in general, i even have turntabels and stuff, but only for fun. not because i wanna mix at parties. but i've noticed that a lot of my female friends are not in the music in the same way that i am. i don't mean less stronger, but just in a different way. most of my female friends love goa, go the parties, have fun, dance, enjoy the atmosphere and the people. but they feel the music somehow different, like more with the heart and just enjoying the power and engergy. while guys doing the same it's more a head thing. that does not mean they don't enjoy themselves or anything, but if they like a track they want to know who made it, when it came out and so on. i wont generalise this, but with my friends it goes like this. maybe because of this there are less girls djing, because they concentrate on the music itself and not on the technical site. i mean not only with psytrance are very few djanes. also with house, trance, garage whatever you take. as said before, i may be wrong, its just what i noticed with my friend so don't get mad if you don't like my explanation. i myself am the first exeption to it.... :)

Oh so you have to be up all night Elysium, I know what that feels like friend...Sometimes I put on "Here comes the sun" by Beatles in the morning to keep my spirit up, even though it looks so dark outside...Try it sometime :)

Guest Tehnokrat

Michie I'm living in Canada for about 6 months and I didn't met anyone who likes 604/psy, my canadian friends don't know what that is. You must be triping

I miss Europe it is the BEST.

Show me those girls man. BOM SHANKAR

technokrat, you are in BC, right?

well you're lucky cause that's probably the best place in canada for psy-trance..

psy-trance isn't as popular in canada as it is in europe, but there are still plenty of nice parties happening (if you live near vancouver, montreal, quebec or toronto).

the biggest psy promoter in vancouver is probably deliria.. they have a website http://www.deliria.org

they put together some really amazing outdoor festivals in the summer, BC has some of the oldest and most beautiful forests on the planet.. there are more hippies in BC than in any other part of canada :)

maybe you can email someone from deliria and ask them if there are any parties coming up in BC..

i'm in toronto so i don't know what's going on over there :)

Guest green mouse

funny..this topic comes up once in..hm..i don't know what period but i've seen it on this forum many times....(have I been hanging out here for so long?)........it seems that the ppl who post messages like "no girls in psy" tend to hang out more on the internet/forums than at parties, where things equal out. for the record: I am a girl.

Wow, my thread kicks ass! And i didn't mean to start any fight and enrage any people, theres no need to get flustered people.... obviously if you are at this site you really dig on trance music.... nuff said.

I've had a good night's sleep and I want to apologize for calling you stupid Vasyachkin. Apart from that I meant every word I said, but I think it's possible to be angry without insulting people. Preferably I'd like to be both nice and right, if I can :)

i m a girl too !! i m french and i can tell u that many girl in france !! maybe not so much who know all i know but they respect the musik and they are into in their heart:!!!!

bom bom

Maïa, EP, I totally agree with you!! However, EP, based on our past interactions in this forum, I am quite sure that you think I am one of those spoiled brats who are in the scene for all the wrong reasons. As for accepting other people's opinions and views, I find you very cool and openminded, and I give you much respect for it, except on the issue of psychoactives. I ALWAYS see posts of yours on this forum saying how drugs are unconditionally bad. I appreciate your concern for young people who aren't informed, for I am concerned as well. If you use psychedelics, you have to use them in an INFORMED manner and with the PROPER INTENT for expansion of consciousness and growth of awareness, but SO MANY young people I see aren't doing that. They are just getting fucked up, plain and simple. If you preach about being openminded, why not read Shulgin, Lilly, Leary, McKenna, Huxley, Castaneda, and other authors of their ilk? I am not trying to pick a fight, I am just trying to point out inconsistencies in the positions of people (not just EP) who claim they are very openminded, but then condemn drugs as inherently evil. I don't want to twist this thread into something it wasn't supposed to be, so please don't go off on me. Just read this, and introspect.

Back to the original subject of this thread, I think one of the reasons that girls (at least here in the US) aren't as receptive to goa is that society programs them in that manner. The societal stereotype is that girls keep their men in check; therefore, they must have less extreme tastes. Fucking sexism. It really pisses me off that girls are so much more constrained than guys in the emotional/intellectual/physical displays that they can get away with. Women are too often viewed as merely sexual possessions and moral arbiters. I totally agree with the people who say that the process of introducing girls, and in fact random people in general, to psytrance is very important. It's almost as if you trick people to open their minds to the phat beats and mind-bending, soul-uplifting sounds of this music. I've definitely found more success by slowly building up to it rather than shoving full-on in their face.

---Rudi

Guest bugbread

I think that Finland, South Africa, and Japan are proof that like and dislike of psy is not based on physiological differences. Women here like goa just as much as guys do, and the parties are completely 50-50. I will say that minimal tends to attract more males, but old-school, twisted, ambient, etc. are all complete mixes.

It's probably due to cultural effects that women in certain areas like or dislike psy.

-Mike "My last three girlfriends all liked goa, and I only met one of them at a club"

By the way, to the females on this board: If you've been around here for a while, you know whose opinions are worth listening to, and whose aren't, and if you're new: Look around for a while, and you'll find that the hormonally inbalanced types tend to be the one-off posters, not the regulars.

(am I a regular?)