Meteor Hits Russia

needle ninja

The reason why the meteor(s) were so "slow", is simply because the atmosphere makes them so much slower... It brakes their speed enourmous (that's why they burn and fall apart at that moment), so it is 100% normal it is not so fast... The closer to the earth, the slower it goes!! (but it is still insanely fast for humans anyway...)

The reason why the meteor(s) were so "slow", is simply because the atmosphere makes them so much slower... It brakes their speed enourmous (that's why they burn and fall apart at that moment), so it is 100% normal it is not so fast... The closer to the earth, the slower it goes!! (but it is still insanely fast for humans anyway...)

I am guessing that you are referring to the Russian meteor? I think there is quite a debate on the actual entry speed, but yes incredible fast for any object normally travelling through our atmosphere... but the footage from Rio shows something totally different... and it surely does not move as a meteor... way to slow.

I personally think since the Russian meteor changes how people perceive these objects, quite natural I guess.

@ procyon well that kind of boring :P so you think it is a ball of fire (what ever that is) as you write in the initial post? And what did the media speculate?

Witnesses who saw it described as a ball of fire, adamantly denying it was a plane (at this point I wonder why people who are half the Earth away keep affirming it was a plane, discrediting local witnesses and authorities. Also, why the hell would a person who sees contrails, a very common sight any place in the world, testify it was a ball of fire? It would not make the news if it really was contrails). As for rumours of what it was, you may guess: flying saucers, the Lord Our Savior, Satan, Superman, the Apocalypse, etc etc etc...everything, but a plane

Jus in the news right now: two huge balls of fire were seen passing over Rio and Vitoria this afternoon. This time authorities say they were meteors. They don't know if this happening is related to the Russian incident or with the one filmed over Rio last Sunday - which was not a meteor, TV said. But no one knows yet what it was. What is going on??

The video could have been an asteroid passing through the upper atmosphere.

If filmed from a direction it is going away from, the speed would be hard to judge.

Asteroids seem to travel together. They form belts and the Earth might be passing by a stream of them now.

The video could have been an asteroid passing through the upper atmosphere.

If filmed from a direction it is going away from, the speed would be hard to judge.

Asteroids seem to travel together. They form belts and the Earth might be passing by a stream of them now.

Well an asteroid not possible.. a meteoroid; increased possibility. But judging on the size of the contrail (and that is what it is no matter what ever is causing it because of its speed) I think it is very unlikely since you would expect it to slow down and reduce the contrail size when moving through the atmosphere. And if it was to move away (not dropping to the ground) so to speak would suggest a high enough speed (and hence energy) that can stay vertical in plane of entry which again makes it unlikely, but of course it makes it harder to judge speed, surely. But that it would have anything to do with the Ural meteor is non-sense, especially considering the argument of a lower entry speed.

• 2 weeks later...