Sevdah

Richpa

Sevdalinka is a traditional genre of folk music from Bosnia and Herzegovina.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fXy078xH0k

Sevdalinka is popular across the ex-Yugoslavia region, especially in Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro and Macedonia. The actual composers of many sevdalinkas are unknown.

In musical sense, sevdalinka is characterized by a slow or moderate tempo and rich harmony, leaving a melancholic feeling with the listener. Sevdalinka songs are very elaborate, emotionally charged and are traditionally sung with passion and fervor. The combination of Oriental, European and Sephardic elements make this type of music stand out among other types of folk music from the Balkans. The singer will often impose the rhythm and tempo of the song, both of which can vary throughout the song. Traditionally, sevdalinkas are women's songs, most addressing the issue of love and longing, unfulfilled and unfortunate love, some touch on a woman's physical desire for her loved one, and some have comic elements. Currently they are often performed by men as well. Traditionally, they were played without any instruments, hence the elaborate harmony. Modern interpretations are followed by a small orchestra containing accordion (the most prominent), violin, nylon-string guitars and/or other string instruments (occasionally), flute or clarinet (occasionally), upright bass, snare drum. In between theverses, an accordion or violin solo can almost always be heard.

The most prominent performers (singers) of sevdalinka in the 20th century are Zaim Imamović, Asim Brkan, Beba Selimović, Hanka Paldum,Himzo Polovina, Meho Puzić, Safet Isović, Silvana Armenulić, Zehra Deović and Nada Mamula.

Although sang mainly by traditional Bosnian singers, sevdalinka has made its way to many "mainstream" musicians. Sevdalinkas were re-recorded by Josipa Lisac (she recorded Safet Isović song "Omer Beže"), Željko Bebek ("Da zna zora"), Ibrica Jusić (he recorded a whole album of sevdalinkas in 2003 named "Amanet", and in 2008. called Amanet 2), Jadranka Stojaković and Zdravko Čolić or taken as a basis for few songs by Johnny Štulić (his band Azra was named after a verse from a sevdalinka song).

In 1990s a band Mostar Sevdah Reunion was assembled in Mostar and in early 2000s they became widely popular on world music scene receiving high awards for their lively interpretations of sevdalinkas and introducing many people outside Bosnia to sevdalinka.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow Richpa, this is quite a surprise. I didn't know you like sevdalinka that much :) I personally love it, I listen to some slower songs though, and my favorite is Safet Isović. That man was a genius, and had such a powerful voice that made me smile for hours. In general, all folk music is great, and people should never let it fall behind contemporary genres.

Here's one of my favorite by Safet Isović:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD-3R8MnWBk

The song is about a Bosnian patriot, captain Husein Gradaščević aka "Dragon of Bosnia", who was leading a military uprising against the Ottoman Empire back in 1831. in order to restore the Bosnian independence, but he was exiled to Austria after several major battles. After some time he got his permission to return to Ottoman Empire, and he decided to move to Istanbul after which he died under misterious circumstances.

The theme of this song is about his wife in Bosnia that died in sorrow after she heard that her loved husband died in Istanbul. It's a very touching song, too bad that it can't be fully understood in English since translating it would be pointless :) The emotions are in the original words, it can't be translated :)

• 3 weeks later...

hahaha, yo man arronax, safet was king indeed, it was sadness that i felt when he died recently in 2007... he was really one of greatest voices in this region... im really glad that hari mata hari continues his work with throwing sevdah nights all over region collecting some new performers still involved in old, pure bosnian songs.

like richpa said, they are best when it comes to flame up the emotions!

bosna in our hearts ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I love that stuff especially when I drink than it got some extra feelings and emotions.

Well, I have to drink something to actually listen to that :D

But I understand you. In a village pub over there in Bosnia and Herzegovina, I could imagine being piss drunk with Vodka (or what do you drink over there?) with some people and we swaying to that, to and fro and front and back...

In Austria we do have some pretty awful (to me) folk music, but I could not do the above to it. I guess only music from the east can do that to me.

• 3 months later...

(or what do you drink over there?)

rakija, mostly šljivovica ( very strong alcohol drink made of plums - if šljivovica, or any other fruit u have near heheh :D )