Zed Reactor - Interplanetary Entity (Ezel Ebed Records)

Agneton

Posted Image
Zed Reactor
Interplanetary Entity
Ezel Ebed Records
1. Horus
2. Dna Blocking Agents
3. Message from space
4. Bellatrix
5. Hades Of Gates
6. Beyond Galaxies
7. Phobos Two
8. Dark Nebula
9. Zedess

I'm not fond of writing lenghty reviews, however I'd like to state a few words about this release :)

First of all I'm very happy that Ezel Ebed invested time & money in this CD. The style is Nitzhogoa, but way more twisted than the stuff we do @ Sita Records. Zed Reactor already achieved fame with their cocktail of dark electronics and Nitzhonot back in the Greek heydays of Uplifting Trance, but that style turned out to be a dead end after 2005. With this CD it's clear to me however that the quasi vanishment of Greek Uplifting had a positive side-effect, namely that the lack of ongoing trends within that style left more room for individual artists to experiment with Nitzhonot again.

As stated above this CD is a mashup between Nitzhonot, Nitzhogoa and darker electronics. It's no Darkpsy of course, since the music oozes melodies, but these are rather unharmonic, distorted and somewhat strange. It's a welcome variation from all the hyper-arabic Nitzhonot I'm usually listening to, and I'm sure people not familiar with the aforementioned genre will enjoy a couple of tracks here as well.

I might go in depth on some tracks as well, but this is all I had to say for now...would be cool to find out what other people think about this one as well :)...

Peace yo!

Metapsychical? 2007? Goa Syndrome?

I don't want to sound like a hyperbole but hell, some of those melodies and rawness is back. This is why I never got bored of Human Hyperactivation and Mindsphere. That 2007 sound is present here. Only one track I really dislike from my 2.5 plays of the album. Mastering compared to Spiritual Rising is much better, then again, the Zed Reactor on that album also sounded better than the rest - I guess if this is mastered by Zed himself, he only has ear for his own production. It doesn't work for others.

I've heard couple of times Zed's new album and I must say that first of all it's not my type of Goa trance and few interesting moments on this album are destroyed with hyper-chessy melodies (I understand it's nitzho-goa, but for example Goalien or Persistent Aura made outstanding nitzho albums which aren't dull and boring). I tried but I can't find any depth in this release, probably is not meant to be deep anyway. I can't see any connection with early Mindsphere or Cygnetic sound on this one, I don't know is it just me or...

Overall 4,5/10

I don't think there's any story-telling depth either, but I highly doubt it was the aim. It sounds raw, dancy and fun, which is where I make the connection to the 2006/2007 sounds. The "cheese" on this album hits the right notes to my ears which I'm super glad about. DNA Blocking Agents is the only track that does it wrong. In relation to what's mostly being released currently, this is a new and an exciting twist. This album just does whatever the hell it pleases and really enjoy how it goes about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

Artist: Zed Reactor

Title: Interplanetary Entity

Label: Ezel Ebed Records

Date: November, 2011

1. Horus

2. Dna Blocking Agents

3. Message from space

4. Bellatrix

5. Hades Of Gates

6. Beyond Galaxies

7. Phobos Two

8. Dark Nebula

9. Zedess

*Doof doof doof*

What was that?

*Doof Doof Doof*

No...it can't be...

*Doof Doof Doof!*

Posted Image

It's the return of Nitzho!

As of late I've immersed myself in all music goa. Artifact303 Back To Space was brilliant. New E-Mantra album Pathfinder was another colossal win. So what have we here? From the people that brought you the compilations Spiritual Rising and Elixir of Life comes their first artist album. This is George Antonopoulos from Greece. Like you couldn't look at that name and figure it out. Says here that he makes Nitzho with a darker edge. What's not to like?

Well, I guess if you detest Nitzhonot then you probably won't like it. But I must warn you, studies show that if you detest Nitzhonot then you are probably also into bestiality. Just presenting the facts.

Posted Image

"Fine, you had your fun. Now where are we with that tuna salad sandwich? And so help me God there better not be any onions on it!"

Since Agneton is a better musician than a reviewer, allow me to step in and do some heavy lifting. If I had to describe what this release is in gif form:

Posted Image

So you would be thinking to yourself, "What a goofy looking alien. Those eyes are totally fake. They even walk like a stupid puppet. And what's with that voice? I'm suppose to fear this?"

And that would be right before he lasered you into dust.

Moral of the story? Don't judge a book by its cover. People say Nitzhonot and the first thing that comes to mind is some cheesy sh*t. Don't lie, you were thinking it. Fast bass lines with even more hyper melodies that race up and down ad nauseum...

Exhibit A-E for the defense your honor?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Your honor if it would please the court I would like to channel my inner Matt Damon?

"You like apples? How you like dem apples!?!"

Yessir, these are all examples of aggressive and melodic albums that should quell any notion that Nitzho can't equal quality. So George sees the writing on the wall. Greek uplifting is going down quicker than an Italian prime minister on an underage hooker at a bunga bunga party. But he doesn't see this as a negative. He sees opportunity. Opportunity to flex some creative muscle and bring Nitzho to the dark side. So like some crazy scientist he goes to the lab and comes up with this dark and twisted offering.

Posted Image

Darker!

Posted Image

More twisted than radioactive babies

Posted Image

Pedophile Ewoks? O-o-ok...that's...uh, that's a little too far. That the guy from Penn State?

But still dark!

Horus- "Our computer is picking up a strange signal."

Probably the Lohan virus. Really tough to get rid of. Infects not only your hard drive but also sets your genitals aflame. Good luck.

Are you sure it's not a typo? I'm just sayin' it's an easy mistake to make, we've all done it. Just switch the r and u and...Ok, Ok...whatever. The first track is a perfect illustration of where his head is at. Yep it's got those faster than fast melodies, but it comes at you with that dark feeling. Sure it has the stereotypical slow downs and speed ups with funny samples, but they're well done.

DNA Blocking Agents- "After running tests tomorrow...I must decide the best way of breaking the news to the medical association."

Ok so not every at bat can be a home run. Everyone has times where...well...

Posted Image

Not his strongest effort with sounds like the blue opera singer from 5th Element. I mean I liked it, but it does come off as pure Nitzho cheddar compared to most of the other tracks, lacking any of the interesting stuff.

Message From Space- "Seems almost a message coming from space."

This one has nice dark melodies twisted to the nth degree. Rapid fire doof kicks abound and I think Agneton would be in Nitzho heaven. Those leads morph and shine and the break is like a campy 1950's sci-fi movie spaceship landed on a mysterious planet's surface. Fun to be sure.

Bellatrix- "All magic and no miracles is against the rules."

I really liked this one. It is a combination of Max Headroom vocal manipulation with racing nitzho melodies. There's more of that retro horror modulated leads and he puts all the elements together well.

Gates of Hades- "I am the eater of worlds. And children! And You!"

I think he is reveling in the cheese. Evil sounding title that may have been so back in the 50's, evil sample that is probably from a 50's movie somewhere. He's got key changes and it's real fast. But that kick is a massive doof doof doof as the synth layers coalesce twisting and spiraling outward. The tone is dark of course and while not as an accomplished mixture of goa as stuff on Sita Records, it's still a good time.

Beyond Galaxies- More aggressive as leads switch sounds and he just can't get away from that retro 50's sci-fi vibe. Synths sparkle and come together to make this one quite good.

Phobos Two- "Proceed on present speed and trajectory."

Another powerful mover with piercing leads sprinkled like confetti over the ever present doof kick. I like what he does with the leads at the break making them sound like a full brass orchestra. It's another different direction he takes Nitzho in so that has to be applauded. One of my faves.

Dark Nebula- Those leads are like scrambled eggs. What the f*ck does that mean? I dunno, just came to me. Spacey pads form the framework as the melody races at supersonic speed. At the break a lead that sounds like an electronic frog barks out some tones. But it doesn't sound stupid like when X-Dream did it. Good stuff.

Zedessa- And he ends this journey with a midtempo track. Dark and brooding, and he has some more fun by having a sample that speaks his name. C'mon, you know he's laughing his ass off. Good for him. Greece has been in the sh*tter for a while so some harmless fun is just what the dr. ordered. The swaying vocals remind me of a cult serenade just to add to his weirdness.

This doesn't take itself too seriously. I think George had a lot of fun with this. And why wouldn't he? He combines Nitzho craziness and quirkiness with darker elements to make something that is different. The more I listened to this the more I liked it. There are loads of sci-fi samples that add to the retro cool factor. While it's not the first thing I would go to for my goa fix, it is playful and nice to have something that is so outside the box while still getting some goa crack that addicts like myself require. Recommended. If you like to have fun.

since you seem to like 1950s era schlock films

Posted Image

Right back at ya!

P.S. Just to go along with the dark theme of the album...that chick is probably dead.

http://www.psyshop.c.../eer1cd004.html

http://www.beatspace...ity/detail.aspx

http://www.goastore....b6ee8a4630076c6

Mdk

• 3 years later...