Artist: Toi Doi

Title: Mother Pitch EP

Label: Underground Alien Factory Records

Date: July, 2011

1. Frogs Party (146 BPM)

2. Oxigen (146 BPM)

3. Worm Twist (146 BPM)

4. D-Liss (Recycled Mix) (146 BPM)

UAF headed by our own Imba is out with their 22nd release and it's by a true veteran of the scene. I don't know if he had to promise his first born or worked out the kinks on that deal with the devil, but we have some material from the legendary Toi Doi. Gilles released his first album back in 1998 called Technologic that loads of people love. I never heard any of his stuff after that, but am always eager to see what new goa trance Imba delivers. As always, it is free.

Frogs Party- If you guessed you would hear frogs on this one give yourself a cookie. Thankfully it never approaches annoying like my most hated song "The Frog" by X-dream. If you like that come to my backyard at night, we got plenty of frogs, crickets, and birds. Go nuts. The leads he uses are a little left of center, definitely not from the new school playbook. It's dirty with more of an underground sound rather than beating you over the head with layers of melodies. It churns along with no break whatsoever. Cool.

Oxigen- More modulated filthy leads at both the low and high ends. Again no break, but he switches leads with ease. It drifts with a progressive attitude and with the crunchy bass it's a gritty affair that is quite danceable.

Posted Image

For the last time, get off my f*cking desk!

Worm Twist- He's got his dirty leads weaving amongst themselves as some tribal chants shout with joy. His leads are pretty awesome I must say. I liken his style in this way: While corporate heads fly off to exotic locales in their jets, the working man stays behind to make sure the company doesn't go belly up. He's a working mans goa producer. And this was another groovy feather in his cap.

D-Liss (Recycled Mix)- This is the darkest track yet. It's got lasers, crazy good groove, and twisted leads. He just keeps hitting you with squirmy synths with that dirty appeal. It churns on with no rest breaks putting me in that state of trance. Perfect for spinning like our favorite dandruff queen.

Posted Image

I know that a lot of people have looked forward to this release and to his return to the scene in general. Anytime someone wants to release some goa trance they should be welcomed with open arms. Gilles is a veteran who has been doing this for a long time. The fact that his first album is still talked about speaks to his talent and quality of work. If you liked Technologic you will no doubt like this. Sure I liked it. It was gutteral and crunchy when the majority of artists leap for sunshine and light so the change is a welcome one. But I'm not so quick to put this above other UAF releases. Sky Technology, Persistent Aura, Trinodia, Beast 303, Goa Overdose...I liked those more. If I had to put a number on it, I would say 4/5. Solid.

Personal opinion and nothing more. I'm glad he's back as well and look forward to more stuff from him. Thanks for bringing him back Imba and for free no less. Recommended!

Ektoplazm

Mdk

I was really surprised to see that Toi Doi is back, and I was even more surprised that this guy picks up exactly the sound of his highlight (technologic) - I'd maybe like some more of the super climax leads he used on Technologic, but still, this free EP is a perfect example of trippy, darker Goa Trance and I am loving every second of it.