Insomnia

RTP

i hope you find a long term solution.

i have similar sleep problems. although not insomnia, i have what is called delayed sleep phase syndrome (dsps), basically what that means is that my body doesnt want to sleep during the normal times when most people do (at night). i can sleep just fine, for a decent amount of time once i do fall asleep, but i wont get tired until maybe 5:30 or 6 in the morning. it doesnt matter if i only slept 2 or 3 hours the night before.

i also have the problem of panic attacks if i try to sleep before my body wants to. my mind races...sometimes i cans top it...sometimes i cant.

i have tried many things...usually what happens is i wind up staying awake for 36 hours or so...just so i can be exhausted at around 11pm or midnight to try to sleep a normal time. that only works to reset my sleep time for a few days though (at most), then im right back to being up all night and just getting tired when its time to get up.

lately ive taken to lying in bed at a normal time...and just reading a book until i get sleepy. its not the best solution, but i do manage to fall asleep around 3:30 or 4 sometimes instead of 5 or 6. its certainly better than watching tv or staying on the computer all night....and my girlfriend likes it better that im at least in bed with her and not in another room watching tv.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats one helluvasleep disorder you have! have you been to the docs about it..there are things that help....

Circadian rhythm disorders

Exogenous melatonin taken in the evening is, together with light therapy upon awakening, the standard treatment for delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS) and non-24-hour sleep-wake syndrome. It appears to have some use against other circadian rhythm sleep disorders as well, such as jet lag and the problems of people who work rotating or night shifts. Melatonin reduces sleep onset latency to a greater extent in people with DSPS than in people with insomnia.[17]

Taken 30 to 90 minutes before bedtime, melatonin supplementation acts as a mild hypnotic. It causes melatonin levels in the blood to rise earlier than the brain's own production accomplishes. This usage is now common in sleep and relaxation drinks.[18]

A very small dose taken several hours before bedtime in accordance with the phase response curve for melatonin in humans (PRC) doesn't cause sleepiness but, acting as a chronobiotic (affecting aspects of biological time structure),[19] advances the phase slightly and is additive to the effect of using light therapy upon awakening. Light therapy may advance the phase about one to two-and-a-half hours and a small oral dose of melatonin, timed correctly some hours before bedtime, can add about 30 minutes to the advance achieved with light therapy.[20]

I usually tend to get fearsome (I wouldn't call it panic attacks) when I haven't slept enough or am very exhausted ... not the other way round. I rather get angry when I can't sleep...

I usually tend to get fearsome (I wouldn't call it panic attacks) when I haven't slept enough or am very exhausted ... not the other way round. I rather get angry when I can't sleep...

Lol I get them usually when I'm in bed, the funny thing is that they actually help making me sleep better, they drain the energy out of my body and also lower my body temperature (panic attacks that is).

Lol I get them usually when I'm in bed, the funny thing is that they actually help making me sleep better, they drain the energy out of my body and also lower my body temperature (panic attacks that is).

I don't get it. When I get real panic, with heart race and cold sweat, then I can't sleep, no way.

But when it's something that I have when exhausted / very sleep deprived, then I can imagine what you say. This is not a full panic attack to me though, it's rather a general fear-type feeling. No heart race or anything, stoppable with just focusing the brain to think about nothing ... and then you nod off in ten minutes or so.

I don't get it. When I get real panic, with heart race and cold sweat, then I can't sleep, no way.

But when it's something that I have when exhausted / very sleep deprived, then I can imagine what you say. This is not a full panic attack to me though, it's rather a general fear-type feeling. No heart race or anything, stoppable with just focusing the brain to think about nothing ... and then you nod off in ten minutes or so.

Oh trust me, my heart races like Speedy Gonzales at that evening, but I get like "yeah whatever, just go away panic attacks, stick your willy into jesus"-feeling and then I nod off and wake up in the morning all paralyzed, unable to get out of bed. Day 2 begins...

But I do get them every night and sometimes even in the day, they can go on for hours.

I admire you how you cope with them ... I mean, fortunately I don't get them often, but when I do, I'm like "omg shit, this is horrible, please go away" ... I don't have the mental constitution to just shrug them off practically.

When I get one while going to sleep, you practically can forget sleeping, I'm lying awake for a long time.

thats one helluvasleep disorder you have! have you been to the docs about it..there are things that help....

Circadian rhythm disorders

Exogenous melatonin taken in the evening is, together with light therapy upon awakening, the standard treatment for delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS) and non-24-hour sleep-wake syndrome. It appears to have some use against other circadian rhythm sleep disorders as well, such as jet lag and the problems of people who work rotating or night shifts. Melatonin reduces sleep onset latency to a greater extent in people with DSPS than in people with insomnia.[17]

Taken 30 to 90 minutes before bedtime, melatonin supplementation acts as a mild hypnotic. It causes melatonin levels in the blood to rise earlier than the brain's own production accomplishes. This usage is now common in sleep and relaxation drinks.[18]

A very small dose taken several hours before bedtime in accordance with the phase response curve for melatonin in humans (PRC) doesn't cause sleepiness but, acting as a chronobiotic (affecting aspects of biological time structure),[19] advances the phase slightly and is additive to the effect of using light therapy upon awakening. Light therapy may advance the phase about one to two-and-a-half hours and a small oral dose of melatonin, timed correctly some hours before bedtime, can add about 30 minutes to the advance achieved with light therapy.[20]

the problem is that its not worth the effort to do those things. all they do is temporarily alleviate the symptom, they dont actually fix the problem. if you go through all that slow adjusting of the sleep phase using drugs (of whatever kind) and light therapy....and then you decide you want to stay up and party for just 1 night. or maybe my girlfriend wants to fool around at midnight, or i have a cold and cant sleep, or the game goes into extra innings (you get the point)...youre right back at square 1 again. weeks of readjusting the sleep phase go right down the toilet in the blink of an eye.

its just not worth the bother.

The thing with work making tired is actually true in the way that I sleep well when I'm very exhausted ("honest day's work" is often not enough, I sometimes even do sports and it's not enough). Sleep comes over me like velvet on those occasions, it's great. But I can't afford to exhaust my body like that so often, it goes on my substance. Last time I was really exhausted I was kinda feeling numb all the next day too and couldn't be productive at all...

And I already had the case where the exhaustion (of, for example, going bouldering), pushed me further so that I got agitated in the evening instead of tired and then, mixed with the fear feelings resulting from the sleep deprivation I had accumulated, I had a horrible night and slept maybe two hours which was even worse than the nights before.

i bought new pillows as a birthday treat....Aromatherapy ones and they are like clouds of lavender fluffiness...i have slept like a log since buying them! So yes, i recommend new pillows! :)

Might be time for a new pillow then.

I had some horrible eposide in the night before last night. Woke up after 4.5 hours sleep, had palpitations and a panic. My eyes and some body muscles were twitching ... very strange and I was quite scared.

I checked the web and found out it could be caused by hypoglycemia ... how strange. I then drank some orange juice and it eventually got better. Could it really have been such a thing? I'll have to look out for that.

Might be time for a new pillow then.

I had some horrible eposide in the night before last night. Woke up after 4.5 hours sleep, had palpitations and a panic. My eyes and some body muscles were twitching ... very strange and I was quite scared.

I checked the web and found out it could be caused by hypoglycemia ... how strange. I then drank some orange juice and it eventually got better. Could it really have been such a thing? I'll have to look out for that.

ive had that thing where i was awake but sleeping...so i could see but not move. i saw a creepy old woman walking around my bed all menacing like. if i hadnt already known about sleep paralysis episodes...i would have really freaked out. as it was...it was quite scary even though i knew what was happening.

lol...thats the main reason for reports of ghosts and alien abductions by the way.

ive had that thing where i was awake but sleeping...so i could see but not move. i saw a creepy old woman walking around my bed all menacing like. if i hadnt already known about sleep paralysis episodes...i would have really freaked out. as it was...it was quite scary even though i knew what was happening.

lol...thats the main reason for reports of ghosts and alien abductions by the way.

I sometimes have sleep paralysis, but it occurs rarely. The first time was many years ago and I was really scared, saw a black figure floating above me and stuff, really freaked me out. But gladly I found out pretty quickly that it was harmless sleep paralysis.

Thing is, I meanwhile can seperate states of sleep paralysis quite well from something else. And I have them very very rarely. When I'm sleep paralyzed, I hear a ringing in my ears, coming from the hissing of the blood ... and it feels like lead weights strapped to my arms and legs.

It was nothing at all like that this time. Plus, I was in full control of every move. I panicked because of the palpitations ... my heart felt like it was struggling to keep some sort of rhythm ... it did not have a straight beat. At least it felt like that, I don't know. I then went out of bed, walked through the flat because I was really scared to just pass out. My hands were cold, I never have cold hands in summer. And also, my eyes twitched, I could not see straight. Some muscles twitched aswell ... and if they were not, it felt like they were just about to. It was very strange, it felt like the whole nervous system was loaded to the point where it was activating spontaneously without me wanting to ... it was really bad, because it affected everything, movements of extremities as well as thoughts. It almost felt like there was something foreign in my body, in my head. And that's what really made me so scared.

I sometimes have sleep paralysis, but it occurs rarely. The first time was many years ago and I was really scared, saw a black figure floating above me and stuff, really freaked me out. But gladly I found out pretty quickly that it was harmless sleep paralysis.

Thing is, I meanwhile can seperate states of sleep paralysis quite well from something else. And I have them very very rarely. When I'm sleep paralyzed, I hear a ringing in my ears, coming from the hissing of the blood ... and it feels like lead weights strapped to my arms and legs.

It was nothing at all like that this time. Plus, I was in full control of every move. I panicked because of the palpitations ... my heart felt like it was struggling to keep some sort of rhythm ... it did not have a straight beat. At least it felt like that, I don't know. I then went out of bed, walked through the flat because I was really scared to just pass out. My hands were cold, I never have cold hands in summer. And also, my eyes twitched, I could not see straight. Some muscles twitched aswell ... and if they were not, it felt like they were just about to. It was very strange, it felt like the whole nervous system was loaded to the point where it was activating spontaneously without me wanting to ... it was really bad, because it affected everything, movements of extremities as well as thoughts. It almost felt like there was something foreign in my body, in my head. And that's what really made me so scared.

Sounds like you have intestinal parasites, they can cause everything you've mentioned above and I'm not kidding.

RTP, since the first time you posted your insomnia episodes I thought of mentioning an obscure - and spiritual - aspect of this situation. But, as I saw that you were talking about the medical side of it solely, I decided to wait a while. Now that you have mentioned you see presences beside you, I may tell you my true opinion.

You may not believe it, but these presences are real. There's something you're doing that are attracting them to you. Some people call them ghosts, others spectrums.

I call them spirits. They're not malevolent, but they are also far from being "enlightned" and they fine-tune with you. When you see them when you're sleeping is what is causing you to be scared. The solution? It is simple, and complicated at the same time: faith in God, and correcting whatever thing that is working as the "attraction" to these souls.

This is my personal opinion, based on my own experiences and books I have read. You are free to not believe in them, but I honestly hope it helps you.

RTP, since the first time you posted your insomnia episodes I thought of mentioning an obscure - and spiritual - aspect of this situation. But, as I saw that you were talking about the medical side of it solely, I decided to wait a while. Now that you have mentioned you see presences beside you, I may tell you my true opinion.

You may not believe it, but these presences are real. There's something you're doing that are attracting them to you. Some people call them ghosts, others spectrums.

I call them spirits. They're not malevolent, but they are also far from being "enlightned" and they fine-tune with you. When you see them when you're sleeping is what is causing you to be scared. The solution? It is simple, and complicated at the same time: faith in God, and correcting whatever thing that is working as the "attraction" to these souls.

This is my personal opinion, based on my own experiences and books I have read. You are free to not believe in them, but I honestly hope it helps you.

Sounds at least way better than intestinal parasites :ph34r:

Seriously though, when I really have to go to the doc for this shit, I'll mention the parasites thing to him. But until then ... no, I don't believe it. If I ever had parasites, I'd expect different symptoms. Also, if there ever were any, I believe they ought to be dead long time, buried below the peat of all the whisky I'm drinking...

To the "attraction theory" I have to say that I don't want to believe it ... but maybe there is truth in it.

For example, when I go out and there are bums, insane or other strange people they tend to ask me for a dollar or to help them. Not anybody else ... even though they might look richer or better in many ways. I have a sort of magnet for these troublesome people. Probably it's a magnet for their spirit, just like it's a magnet for the spirits you mention? I don't know.

But overall, I tend rather not to believe in this so much. What should attract them? And why me? It makes no sense.

Overall, maybe the intestinal parasite thing is easier to cure. Although I don't believe it's that either.

Seriously though, when I really have to go to the doc for this shit, I'll mention the parasites thing to him. But until then ... no, I don't believe it. If I ever had parasites, I'd expect different symptoms. Also, if there ever were any, I believe they ought to be dead long time, buried below the peat of all the whisky I'm drinking...

To the "attraction theory" I have to say that I don't want to believe it ... but maybe there is truth in it.

For example, when I go out and there are bums, insane or other strange people they tend to ask me for a dollar or to help them. Not anybody else ... even though they might look richer or better in many ways. I have a sort of magnet for these troublesome people. Probably it's a magnet for their spirit, just like it's a magnet for the spirits you mention? I don't know.

But overall, I tend rather not to believe in this so much. What should attract them? And why me? It makes no sense.

Overall, maybe the intestinal parasite thing is easier to cure. Although I don't believe it's that either.

99% of the world population has at least one type of parasite in his body sadly enough, if not more, there is no point in discussing it with a doctor, parasites are completely taboo in the world of commercial healthcare, he'll probably say you're chatting pure breeze and prescribe you anti-depressants in order to make you stfu. Sorry to be the bad disgusting newsbringer (and no i'm not a potential massive parasite carrier myself), I just say the things how they are, if you're curious, you should visit this site for more info and help http://curezone.com/forums/. Most people would be too ignorant to agree with this statement and probably end up dissing this post and especially diss the poster. Too bad for them, they'll probably end up getting ibs and crohns disease in their later life and probably die young.

Also it requires you at least one year to wipe them all out using current herbs and medicins, but it'll be damn worth it. This doesn't go for RTP only, it goes for all of you, everyone on this planet.

Believe me, it's not only you. I know people who can see while they're awaken, not in their sleep. But, do not worry. The moment you are not scared of seeing them anymore, you will sleep more.