Insomnia

RTP

I used to be gigantic insomniac years ago, 3 hours a night at max, for years, got heavy meds for it that completely solved the issue, but also completely sucked all the energy out of me, turning me into a lifeless zombie that sleeps 14 hours a day and gets tired ass hell after only hitting the shower or taking a walk to the nearest bus stop, unable to work, unable to do anything, even unable to listen to music, completely handicapped. So if you ask me what I'd rather have, it'll be the sleepless nights and the bursts of energy and overexcitement that goes with it, at least at that moment I actually felt alive, so that makes me wonder why people actually complain about the fact that you're sleeping a couple of hours less per night than you usually do. I mean at least you are not dead or completely immobile, you can still enjoy the things that you can before, only in a slightly less matter. 90% of the world population has insomnia, maybe I'm chatting complete bull for some people, maybe I have a weird vision of it, maybe I'm completely missing the clue, maybe I'm being totally rude and respectless, but if you can't resolve the lack of sleeping hours, why not focus on something else like finding ways to give yourself enough energy and happiness while you're awake and try to adapt your live to your insomnia instead of adapting your insomnia to your life. If you can't beat it, why fight it?

True, medication is not the solution.

Taking it will make you sleepy all day long...

I took them 3 months and threw them out of the window in a matter of speech...

You are right about the negative downsides, it's better not to sleep instead of sleeping with med's...

But you can train your brain, I did it, and it helps,

It takes time, months, but it works, good luck!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, medication is not the solution.

Taking it will make you sleepy all day long...

I took them 3 months and threw them out of the window in a matter of speech...

You are right about the negative downsides, it's better not to sleep instead of sleeping with med's...

But you can train your brain, I did it, and it helps,

It takes time, months, but it works, good luck!

Sometimes insomnia isn't bad, sometimes it's just an alternation in your biorhythms, you'll just sleep less hours than usual, but if you get used to the idea and your tiredness, you'll get used to the insomnia aswell and you'll function the same way you did before your insomnia and in some situations, thinking like this also cures your insomnia, for good.

But it differs from person to person, I can't give you an idea how to fix it, because there simply is no fix, every person reacts different to it.

But if you're having insomnia and you're worried about it, think about the things you don't have, like cancer or aids, and compare it back to your insomnia and decide for yourselves which is the worse, your choice will be made quickly.

Sometimes insomnia isn't bad, sometimes it's just an alternation in your biorhythms, you'll just sleep less hours than usual, but if you get used to the idea and your tiredness, you'll get used to the insomnia aswell and you'll function the same way you did before your insomnia and in some situations, thinking like this also cures your insomnia, for good.

But it differs from person to person, I can't give you an idea how to fix it, because there simply is no fix, every person reacts different to it.

But if you're having insomnia and you're worried about it, think about the things you don't have, like cancer or aids, and compare it back to your insomnia and decide for yourselves which is the worse, your choice will be made quickly.

Ok, that is a healthy thought...

But do say the insomnia bothers, considering the topic starter won't open a topic about it, if it wouldn't, then i would recommend training, training & training...

You can adapt the feeling of being sleepy like you say, but isn't that the same way of adapting the feeling on medication? Sleepy all day?

and "yes' indeed having aids or cancer is worse, but that is a reason that counts for everything even the flew Posted Image

Ok, that is a healthy thought...

But do say the insomnia bothers, considering the topic starter won't open a topic about it, if it wouldn't, then i would recommend training, training & training...

You can adapt the feeling of being sleepy like you say, but isn't that the same way of adapting the feeling on medication? Sleepy all day?

and "yes' indeed having aids or cancer is worse, but that is a reason that counts for everything even the flew Posted Image

Nah, this medication stuff just makes your tired, you can feel how you like to, but the side-effects will always be noticable. Adapting to insomnia isn't always done by changing the way you think, there are a couple of energy drinks that help you stay alert during the times you need to be alert (like work), alcohol (which is a bad product in every possible way) helps you feel more relaxed physically and in some cases also give you an energy boost, but i know IT IS bad when you use it to fall asleep, if you're really working on a way to get yourself asleep, AVOID ALCOHOL AND ENERGY DRINKS. But for the times you don't give a shit about it and just enjoy your time being awake, it can be good. Stress is also one of the main causes of insomnia, find the reason why you're having stress and battle it.

Thanks for your input, guys...

You know, I am glad I slept fairly OK the last nights, so I can talk about it in a more distant manner with a bigger perspective right now.

About the meds thing ... I can't speak for me, because I don't take such knock-out pills, but maybe it would be good to use them in periods when they knock you out so badly? Like, taking them three days, then don't take them the rest of the week. Then you'd combine the periods of much sleep and little energy with periods of less sleep and more energy. Would that be an idea for you?

The way I see it, my insomnia comes in periods. Sometimes I really have problems with it, that's when I go crazy about it. And then there follow often long times of regular (or more or less regular) sleep where I don't have any problems sleeping.

And what I need to understand is that the treatment has to begin in the periods of the good sleep rather than crying for a quick fix under high stress...

The thing about the overexcitement is, that I don't feel like I can stop it. I had this problem two weeks ago before I was going to holiday. I have flight anxiety to a degree and I was lying in bed totally nervous, but for actually no reason (I wasn't even thinking about flying). I slept less than two hours - and that before holiday, which makes a really bad start. I didn't want to take pills because they would knock me out and I'll oversleep my get up time. It was quite bad.

The point is, it was impossible to mentally stop the nervousness and anxiety that has gotten a hold of me. I really tried to stop it mentally, tell me there is no point to be anxious and that I am relaxed etc., but the periods I really managed to keep this were like 5 minutes and then I got anxious again, in the end also angry that I couldn't hold longer and then the situation is totally escalating when anxiety mixes with anger.

I am really not able to hold a level of relaxing thoughts. What can I do against that? And, more importantly, why does my mind always interfere with that and wants to make me nervous?

Thanks for your input, guys...

You know, I am glad I slept fairly OK the last nights, so I can talk about it in a more distant manner with a bigger perspective right now.

About the meds thing ... I can't speak for me, because I don't take such knock-out pills, but maybe it would be good to use them in periods when they knock you out so badly? Like, taking them three days, then don't take them the rest of the week. Then you'd combine the periods of much sleep and little energy with periods of less sleep and more energy. Would that be an idea for you?

The way I see it, my insomnia comes in periods. Sometimes I really have problems with it, that's when I go crazy about it. And then there follow often long times of regular (or more or less regular) sleep where I don't have any problems sleeping.

And what I need to understand is that the treatment has to begin in the periods of the good sleep rather than crying for a quick fix under high stress...

The thing about the overexcitement is, that I don't feel like I can stop it. I had this problem two weeks ago before I was going to holiday. I have flight anxiety to a degree and I was lying in bed totally nervous, but for actually no reason (I wasn't even thinking about flying). I slept less than two hours - and that before holiday, which makes a really bad start. I didn't want to take pills because they would knock me out and I'll oversleep my get up time. It was quite bad.

The point is, it was impossible to mentally stop the nervousness and anxiety that has gotten a hold of me. I really tried to stop it mentally, tell me there is no point to be anxious and that I am relaxed etc., but the periods I really managed to keep this were like 5 minutes and then I got anxious again, in the end also angry that I couldn't hold longer and then the situation is totally escalating when anxiety mixes with anger.

I am really not able to hold a level of relaxing thoughts. What can I do against that? And, more importantly, why does my mind always interfere with that and wants to make me nervous?

Well it seems, I repeat is seems, you more haven an nervous/anxious problem...

Do you feel that way when you are awake? or only when you try to sleep?

I can tell you one thing, the less sleep you have the more anxious you feel (that's my own experience and has been proved between quotes by science)

Yes, I sometimes also feel like that when awake.

Too bad to hear it's a devil's circle that when I get less sleep I get even more anxious getting even less sleep. I think that's the periods where it gets severe, it just amplifies itself through that phenomenon.

Yes, I sometimes also feel like that when awake.

Too bad to hear it's a devil's circle that when I get less sleep I get even more anxious getting even less sleep. I think that's the periods where it gets severe, it just amplifies itself through that phenomenon.

I would advice, not that I'm doctor, a relaxing cd...

with instructions, I have one but it's in dutch (do you speak dutch?)...

You practice this cd one time a day, and one time before you go to sleep...

After 14 days it's conditioned and off ya go Posted Image

I already tried conditioning. I am conditioned to the Sync24 - Source album to sleep off on that.

The "funny" thing is now this: when I'm insomniac I don't want to sleep off to this album because it puts an even bigger pressure on me to sleep off to it because if I don't then the conditioning was for nothing and I'd have to start over all the way with something new. So I kinda never listen to it anymore - not before going to sleep (for fear of not sleeping off to it and breaking the conditioning) and not under day because it's intended to go to sleep to.

It might sound like a bad joke, but this is somehow the thinking I do.

And here lies the problem. It's this anxious/nervous thinking that has to be stopped. On all fronts.

And here lies the problem. It's this anxious/nervous thinking that has to be stopped. On all fronts.

On all fronts? trust me I have been suffering form panic/anxious attacks since I was 15.

I'm 28 now with a whole painful past behind me...

You've got to control your mind, you are probably high sensitive, and those who are, are often controlled by their mind...

I can stop my thinking in a second... Nobody would believe that, but I can, in 2 seconds...

It took me 3 months of training, daily, over & over...

Your brain is like a muscle, the more you train it, the more it gets flexible...

Go for it my friend, you will be so lucky Posted Image

Guest Euforix

On all fronts? trust me I have been suffering form panic/anxious attacks since I was 15.

I'm 28 now with a whole painful past behind me...

I'm having these panic attacks too and I'm 10 years younger than you.

You've got to control your mind, you are probably high sensitive, and those who are, are often controlled by their mind...

It took me 3 months of training, daily, over & over...

Could you explain me how did you train your brain? Or maybe post a link? I'd be really interested.

Guest Euforix

What's next? Posting "Highway to hell" in a thread where the TS is about to die from cancer or aids?

Nope, there's the solution in the video/lyrics. Works for someone and for someone it doesn't.

Well in my case, I don't really have any problem related with my sleep. If I got some kind of insomnia one evening, tomorrow I always try to spend as much as possible energy. Hot milk and hot shower right before bad time also helps a lot. Reading and watching some random TV show makes me sleepy in late hour, so give it a try. Don't hesitate to take some late night snacks and food, it always help me to get sleepy :)

I know it's a huge problem for some people, but hey there is a lot of other things that could be a real pain in the ass. For example I'm having a social phobia and whenever I'm having some sort of panic attacks in public and stuff like that I always try to focus my toughts on some positive facts - in my case I always think about something funny or sometimes I think about people who are affraid of water and stuff like that and how hard their situation is.

I love my sleep, but last night sleep did not come....not one wink....whats worse is that i have now been up 24 hours and have a days work ahead of me....in an engineering workshop, falling to sleep would be dangerous! ........my boss does not believe in having days off....so i'll do what i can...roll on 2pm.

tonight, early bed after lavender oil bath...lavender oil on my pillow and hot milk..i will blimmin sleep!

First of all I gotta say that the Faithless - Insomnia track is good. Like it ... listened to it myself already before when insomniac ... but the solution in it I did not register. Anyway...

I am already past the "hot milk and shower" stage. This won't help anymore when I really am in an insomniac state. To have an effect, it has at least to be combined with a considerable amount of valerian ... or chemistry.

Nice input, Pixie, but with me, scents and oils are also rather not potent enough for the real insomnia periods. Nevertheless, I used to have Amber oil ready for the night ... the scent makes me tired (until I really was insomniac and saw that it didn't help). But I will be going to take that out again anyway, good to remember :)

Thinking of it now, I found the screen brightness utility to aid me to become tired ... more than I expected. I don't even notice it so much when I sit in front, but I feel that it helps. That was a really good advice, I must say again.

Guest Euforix

Just came into my mind that I've sometimes used a medicine called melotonine. I know that some of you already said that you're tired of pills and chemicals but this melotonine is a substance/hormone that everyone's body does automatically and it should make you sleepy. Just saying.

Just came into my mind that I've sometimes used a medicine called melotonine. I know that some of you already said that you're tired of pills and chemicals but this melotonine is a substance/hormone that everyone's body does automatically and it should make you sleepy. Just saying.

My previous b/f was on that for a sleep disorder...it does work....my insomnia is stress related tho...only cure for that is remove the stress....

(anyone know what to do with a 16 year old drug addict?? i tried donating her to charity....!)

What, your daughter is drug addicted now? Aww, that's quite bad, I sure understand that this causes you stress...

Good luck that it sorts itself out.

yes, its very bad. damn mkat... its killing her, she doesnt see it..shes lost all her friends and all respect...shes becoming a laughing stock and i dont know what to do anymore. Take heed all those who think they are hard enough to take drugs. it destroys everything

^ What kind of drugs are we talking about ?

Mephedrone...Mkat,meow..was legal, now isn't..highly addictive.... also cocaine..

yes, its very bad. damn mkat... its killing her, she doesnt see it..shes lost all her friends and all respect...shes becoming a laughing stock and i dont know what to do anymore. Take heed all those who think they are hard enough to take drugs. it destroys everything

sad to hear :(

hope it will get better