"V/A - Goa Overdose"

Trance2MoveU

Posted Image

Artist: Various

Title: Goa Overdose

Label: Underground Alien Factory Records (UAF)

Date: August, 2010

01. California Sunshine - The Gate to the Past (Remix) (7:09)

02. Nolax - Bioavailability (6:54)

03. Hybrid FX - Higher State of Mind (7:35)

04. BlackStarrFinale - Rabbit Marker (10:51)

05. Celestial Intelligence - Real Worth (7:08)

06. Grand-Cheff - Dirty Trance (8:48)

07. Space Elves - Tribute to The Wonderboy (10:45)

08. SETI project - Space Invaders (2010 Remix) (6:46)

09. Dhamsuta - Lucent Venture (7:48)

10. Somnesia - When Kali Meditates (9:10)

First off this cover is truly beautiful in every sun drenched hippie way imaginable. This netlabel is doing some wonderful things for the New School of Goa and the fact that they are releasing so much quality music for free is amazing. UAF is run by Imba pictured here

Posted Image

Nah, just kidding...that's not him. :P

He is a delightful fellow who emanates positive vibes and is an active member on our little piece of the internet. Every month or so, they release an EP with different styles of goa. It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. And did I mention that it's free? This is UAF's 13th release and let me tell you the trend of dropping beautiful gems on the ears continues. With this release, Imba said we were going back to the old school and class is in session brotha!

If you've heard of this label (and I'm assuming you have if you're reading this) then you will recognize all or most of the artists. The most well known is California Sunshine with Gates To The Past remix. It's an pretty good opener (I really didn't like it the first several times I heard it) that sets the tone that we are deep in the old school. It seems rather simple with arpeggios and the whispering of the title (cheese)but that's ok for an opener, and to be honest I didn't expect much from them anyway.

Nolax is Christoph Mitsch from Austria who recently dropped his 2nd full length disc called Turning Point. This is another simple sounding track with nice melodies just not as dense and layer rich as most goa these days. Not bad.

Hybrid FX (who?) and brings a strong melody right from the get go. There is a definite old school vibe here and it sounds very pleasant. This is one of the tracks that grew on me the more I listened to it.

Luis Pabón is BlackStarrFinale and his track ramps up the intensity. And it is quite the sledgehammer coming in at almost 11 minutes! The high pitched sounds take some getting used to, but it gives the track a tribal feel. Once the breakbeat kicks in with a 303ish sound funkiness reigns. Very enjoyable! All the pieces come together near the end in some arpegiated madness. This guy knows how to do some goa!

Celestial Intelligence is another unknown to me, but that is irrelevant. True to form, this joint sounds very old-school with melodies tumbling over one another. The track gurgles and whirrs, and just has that other worldly energy. Great stuff!

Grand-Cheff has said in another thread that he likes to put silly stuff in his tracks and he succeeded by inserting a Dirty Harry sample in French into this track. I couldn't understand it so it didn't matter to me. This track is non stop and has no real break to speak of so strap yourself in.

The next track is a group project called Space Elves which is comprised of Imba, CoaGoa, SETI Project and Arronax. I loved their track "Anjuna Beach" on the Energy Waves compilation by Suntrip. Once I get passed the cornball voice (3 times) telling Wonderboy to wake the crowd up I can somewhat enjoy this effort. The leads aren't very pleasing to the ear and seem abrasive. Not my favorite, but it's not bad.

SETI Project is Paul Yelland and he had his album Tribal Trance re-released in better quality (by UAF of course!) so he's got that going for him. I like how the track evolves as leads vie for supremacy. You can tell that the tunes are becoming less hectic and intense as the compilation winds down.

Dhamsuta put together a stormer called The Sitting Goddess on the compilation of the same name. This track is very melodic but subtle. Some of the leads can barely be heard amongst the pads and comes off as delicate keystrokes. Less frenetic but equally melodic. Very nice indeed.

Somnesia recently released his Rainbow Source EP and he ends the compilation. Think of this as the downtempo (actually mid-tempo) closer back in the days of old. The melody is mysterious as effects clamor for attention. Very ethereal. Melodies are everywhere. When one vanishes another replaces it seamlessly. Ra could've made this track. It just shimmers. This is my 2nd favorite track and my favorite from Somnesia.

Like a lot of releases this requires numerous listens to get the feel of what UAF is trying to do. He went old school on you and this sounds like a mix rather than just a collection of tracks. It's not mixed, but it has that feel where the deeper you get into the tracks the heavier and more psychedelic it becomes. Very nice touch. For my money (but I didn't spend any cause it was FREE!) BlackStarrFinale had was the belle of this ball. This compilation created a nice time portal to the past. Don't get me wrong, I love the new school and think its multi-layered facets are the things of dreams. Every now and then though, it's nice to get back to the roots of the music. Good job UAF.

UAF Records

Mdk

Posted Image

Very good review mate,

and thank you sincerely for this comparison with Ra. It's my favorite artist :)
I'm deeply touched.

Concerning the sample used in dirty Harry, the voice says: "plays verminous! for me you're a dog shit, which smudges on a sidewalk, and do you know what make a shit like that? We can remove it carefully with a shovel, you can leave the rain and the wind sweep it, and we can crush it."

MY REVIEW

California Sunshine is a homecoming. Simple but so true. The lead and acid seem to come from their early track. It is a leap in time. This release sounds really old and gives all his charm and wisdom.

Bioavailability from Nolax is a single track and very endearing. The leads are used to coordinate perfectly. Notes jump and gives it a side elusive. The ending is magical and gives us this positive feeling in itself.

Hybrid FX plunges us into a tracks with psychedelic effects, with ascents of adrenaline. The lead & acid chosen are typically old and gives a feeling of vortices and a trip on a roller coster.

BlackStarrFinale we created us a small bomb. Its entrance is sensational. In fact, I prefer the first part with his break endless. He keeps us in suspense until the climax at 5'34''. This passage is sumptuous and subtle. It is an anachronism track with its sound and structure most recent.

Real Worth from Celestial Intelligence remains for me the most beautiful and most interesting track from this compilation. A gentle rain which immerses us in an imaginary world. My favorite, good job sincerly ;)

Samuel aka Grand Cheff with fruity loops 3 amazes us with sounds very goa style Prana. He takes us into the narrow roads very acidified. Original and fun with replicas of movies, a real treat. Probably the most old school track with that of California Sunshine.
and say that he does not use vst. Strong this guy!

Space Elves teleport us in a psychedelic tunnel. The little melody places us in orbit. The atmosphere is strong. We have the impression of being strafed by a strobe. All ingredients are gathered for dancing and dreaming.

SETI project gives us a fairly repetitive but an enjoyable track. The voice samples of all women give their sensuality. The melodic paths that we offer Paul are interesting and pleasant.

Dhamsuta realizes a soft music and transcendent with Lucent Venture. We are captivated by his sound goa. The lead and Pad are ethereal and floating, all lined by a large bass. Transitions are crisp and obvious. A cleverly constructed music.

Otherwise, for my track, When Kali Meditates is a spiritual ballad. I tried to put in harmony the mind and nature in a style Hindu. A sensual walk with Kali which initiate us to meditation.

Thank you to everybody for the contribution of this free compilation.

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...