Goasia - Dancing With The Blue Spirit

Penzoline

I definitely agree the mastering could be much better but it is ok enough. I do really wish it sounded that much more better though.

I just can't wait for what they have in store for us next, such a nice album this was. Best album of 2010.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Writing my thoughts on this album was challenging as well.

Some songs develop so gradually. At first listen I found myself skipping to the next track which I rarely I do with Goa. This example is mostly felt with the opening track. It's too repetitive IMO. The changes are too subtle. I would have replaced it with a friendlier opening track.

Black Kahva is pretty monotonous for a while. It becomes more interesting at around 5:57 forward and gets good.

How Deep Is Your Trip is very well done, more gripping throughout. Can we have more tracks that are interesting and exciting throughout, please? :)

Dancing With the Blue Spirit has a nice, euphoric, old-school morning sound. It sounds a little out of place with the other tracks, like a water song for dolphins. It's a bit repetitive. Still it's nice, relaxing, gentle, and peaceful. I like it.

Avatar starts out good, very distinct in sound selection, mixing. The first few minutes are quite good! Things change up a bit keeping the unique sound intact. Aside from many little FX and alterations, the overall song grows fairly redundant in ideas past its characteristic opening act however. It never seems to recover or revive itself with new and opening terrain. After a while, it all sounds too same to me, regardless of the newly introduced sounds and other layers. The bass line is attractive at least.

Etnic City is unique, catchy early on. More imaginative work could have taken place as it progressed though.

With Visitors, the middle evolutionary part is great, but that's the high point around the otherwise solid work. The overall song is pretty good/great, one of the most solid on the album.

Sabotage starts out great, but soon recycles sounds and ideas from early on. Without being overdone, the ethnic/Irish folklore melodies work to some degree, though I'm not a big fan.

They work in Transonic Fields, another pretty good track, though less to no folk influence would have been nice. When this happens, the song sounds less other worldly. It's strangely distracting and a bit questioning. Why is this here? It doesn't elevate the song to me.

Overall, there are many pleasant sounds, touches, and feelings on this album. I find however the song's lack depth, atmosphere, and elements of surprise. Additionally, some songs take a while to really develop into something worth recommending. When some of them do, it's great. I would love to see more creative energy, events, development and surprises. The songs have nice introductions and at times magical moments of old-school nostalgia , melody bliss. I love these parts and wish there was more of them throughout the song. More develop of melodies (arrangement) would be good and less folk (more cosmic) influence.

I find a handful of Goasia's previous tracks catchier than numerous songs on this album. Depending on the mood, you may find it a bit bland (around it's good moments) or really great considering its melodic Goa appeal.

B-

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Like you said, there's hardly anything sounding similar in terms of style - I'd say it is a kind of folk-goa or ethnic-goa kind of vibe, which sometimes make it great, very emotional and fun to listen, almost 'live' in the way it is recorded; but sometimes gets on my nerves very quickly, just because of that. Might be just me, but that is exactly why I'm in two minds about it - sometimes I love it, sometimes I can't stand it, hence I don't have definitive enough a opinion to put it in a review

My thoughts exactly.

The amount of different, new kind of sounds, effects and atmospheres have that kind of effect on the whole thing. Also the fact that it does have such richness on this recording is amazing. Do yourself a favour and check this album out, it is a completely new experience in the goatrance history.

+1

Although it's pure goatrance we have for about 20 years, Goasia still found a fresh, tiny spot - the album really sounds a bit different than your everyday psy experience. To me, this album is something opposite to E-Mantra's 'Pathfinder' or Nova Fractal's 'Fractal Landscape', where I can't differ the tunes from time to time (is it third or sixth track already?).

Goasia's LP is more like layercake, where you can see/hear all the instruments, some of them lead the whole music, while the rest is playing in the second row or background. In those two mentioned later everyting reminds me of salad - mixed flavours, nothing wants to stand out (but the flavour is netherthelss tasty :) ).

I must be hungry writing culinary review of goa trance music. All comparisions aside - if you're into expressive analogue melodies, 'Dancing With The Blue Spirit' is worth the attention. Fans of not overstuffed and sometimes sentimental/melancholic, yet all the way super danceable goatrance should definately check this one out. 8/10.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...