Need some recommendations please

JonCrow

Hi,

I'd appreciate some psytrance recommendations. A prominent example of the style of sound I'm looking for is "Prometheus - Robot.O.Chan." I love the clean production. Not too many layers. It never seems to get boring or overloaded and hard on the ears. Each track is nicely themed, progressive and fairly distinct from the last. I'd also welcome and be open to artists or albums that are much darker, but again I'm not a huge fan of excessive bunching/layering.........at this point in my listening career. I do recognise that sometimes increased listening attention can pay dividends in that(high layering) area. I don't mind cheese and samples if it's well done. Clean, heavy and unique basslines preferred. Early Infected Mushroom material is another example I'll give.

If you suggest an artist It would be great if you could also post a standout track or album.

I hope I've given enough to go on. All and any of your suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance. Posted Image

Jon

OK now, I don't have many tips and/or advices, but the minute I read your description of what is it that you are looking for, only one, single release sprung to mind: Gus Till- Best Of The Rhino Years Vol. 2 (Sonic Dragon Records) (2007) (http://www.discogs.com/Gus-Till-Best-Of-The-Rhino-Years-Vol-2/release/1138541)

As far as my ears go, it is dark, never overly layered, the sounds are almost as progressive as they gets, and the bass lines oomph your frame to death. Or, that is the impression I get when listening to it. I hope you do the same.

And if you don't, sue meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

OK now, I don't have many tips and/or advices, but the minute I read your description of what is it that you are looking for, only one, single release sprung to mind: Gus Till- Best Of The Rhino Years Vol. 2 (Sonic Dragon Records) (2007) (http://www.discogs.com/Gus-Till-Best-Of-The-Rhino-Years-Vol-2/release/1138541)

As far as my ears go, it is dark, never overly layered, the sounds are almost as progressive as they gets, and the bass lines oomph your frame to death. Or, that is the impression I get when listening to it. I hope you do the same.

Thanks. That's a good start as I've already got that album in my collection but I've never given it a listen. I'll take it on the road to work with me today.

An album that I plan to pick up next that kind of fits what I'm looking for is Triac - Mean Between(bit of a darker atmos). Though it probably leans a bit too close to the pure progressive side of things and I'd love some material that is darker and more twisted than this. I'm looking for something that is plain psytrance orientated that is dark, clean, twisted and/or industrial and/or gothic and/or alien/sci-fi orientated/themed. That's not too much to ask is it. Posted ImagePosted Image

I drive for a living and it's distracting and sometimes disorientating if you're overwhelmed by a wall of sound layers that's attempting to fuck my mind over. I might give the Delta a listen this weekend to test it out.

Jon

The higher bpm tracks from YB's Flock of Beeps is another example of the production or quality that I'm looking for.

Ordered Scizzoeffective. Already have most of X-Dream material.

Maybe thinking of Process next? Probably the first album, "One Drop or Two" to begin with as Mr Vaughn is involved.

Will consider and research Sensient as well. What's the best album to start with?

Some techtrance and minimal kind of fits what I'm after but it can often be just way too dry for me. I like stimulation(both melodic and non-melodic) and groove to be injected sonically into my trance state.

I need to feel that living presence, heart and spirit in the music that jumps out, grabs you and takes you along because that producer/composer was dedicated and talented and wanted to give what he believed in, felt and composed as an aural gift. So long as it has that presence I couldn't care less what style it is or called. So much uninspired copying and genre-based cookie-cutter composition.

I love and want darkness in some psy, but don't want evil, scratching, grating, grinding overloaded crowded heaviness.

Subconciousmind's album, Intermezzo Extended is very cool. Posted Image

I know I'm jumping all over the fucking place here style/genre-wise in my requests but where's the really good inspired original psytrance that I'm missing from my collection? :(

Jon Posted Image

Sounds to me like Krumelur might be something you'd like. I've had it in my car for driving for months at a time. Is nice for when tech trance is too dry, as you say.

Yes! Paramoral is a damn good album!

Thanks for these recommendations I'll dive right into them!

Am really looking forward to The Delta's dark and Scizzoeffective at my doorstep!

Seems to be a shitload of psy around that's low quality and derivative of the truly creative and inspired pioneers. It can get pretty tiring hearing different arrangements of the same sounds and template styles. It's part of the reason why I moved away from regular bands as all the songs just started sounding the same and singing about the same stuff. Dunno how some of you guys download so much material and listen to it all. You must mess with the shelf life of the psy that you actually buy and enjoy.

Jon

Will consider and research Sensient as well. What's the best album to start with?

Sensient - Antifluoro [2006] Zenon Records

Some techtrance and minimal kind of fits what I'm after but it can often be just way too dry for me. I like stimulation(both melodic and non-melodic) and groove to be injected sonically into my trance state.

Merkaba - The Thirteenth Step EP [2009] Zenon Records

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the last 2 posts, I didn't notice them here till tonight. I've bookmarked Freakulizer for future reference and I think I've got a purchased digital file of Antifluoro that I've barely listened to floating round somewhere. As you probably know the CD is pretty scarce these days.

In the last week since making this thread I've ordered some great new music that I'm really excited about. The Delta is awesome! I've got Loud's - Some Kind of Creativity on the way too!

Jon Posted Image

The second album of Prometheus Corridor of mirrors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fba_PBCQYfI

God save the Machine v/a (TIP)

Thanks for the last 2 posts, I didn't notice them here till tonight. I've bookmarked Freakulizer for future reference and I think I've got a purchased digital file of Antifluoro that I've barely listened to floating round somewhere. As you probably know the CD is pretty scarce these days.

In the last week since making this thread I've ordered some great new music that I'm really excited about. The Delta is awesome! I've got Loud's - Some Kind of Creativity on the way too!

Jon Posted Image

Nice! I would really like to hear what you think about that album :)

The second album of Prometheus Corridor of mirrors

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fba_PBCQYfI

God save the Machine v/a (TIP)

Yup. I've got the second Prometheus album. I love it. It's not as cohesive or consistent as his first work but it's still great. Has some fantastic tracks, particularly the latter half if memory serves correct. Second one I'll look into, thanks.

Anyone have any word on Prometheus releasing anything new in the future? Suppose I should have a look at what the twisted website and forums has to say, assuming he'd be going through that label.

Nice! I would really like to hear what you think about that album :)

Listened to samples of about 4 tracks and was sold. The uniqueness of sounds utilised and partial homage to Infected's older style helped to seal the deal, new album on the horizon helped a little as well.

Hold the lawyers, this is awesome!