2. Dirty Keyboard

3. Mekaninkal Experiments

4. Natural Web

5. Ancient Tech

6. Perceivable Distortion

7. Abstract Sculptures

8. Holopod

9. Another Reality

I have been listening to this for a while but I could not get into it. No matter how many times I started it, I just couldn't make it through to the end. So I tried something different and listened to it in reverse. Not Freddy is a devil heavy metal music reverse, I just started at track 9 and worked my way backward. I'm not going to tell you that I was rewarded with an epiphany, or that the artist should've reorganized the way the tracks were laid out. But this worked for me. It put me in the right mode to hear what they had to offer, and I felt like my mind was ready to accept it. Like the Transformers, Reality Grid combine to form a super project. It is Alex Diplock (E.V.P.) & Leon Kane (Avalon.) Wildthings Records is from London and they specialize in hi-tech, full on trance that doesn't have a lot of melodies. I knew that going in and I think that was part of the reason I couldn't fathom this release. At first.

This music is cold. Very digital and robotic sounding. There are effects everywhere as they blip and blop over always heavy beats. There are lots of gurgling metallic leads. In the same vein, melodies are few and far between, but that's ok. What is on display here is the energy. Due to the lack of melodies, they rely on effects to create the mood and they do it very well. If you've heard their previous effort than you know what you are getting into and what to expect. All the tracks are groovy, and the effects really do their job. I don't think I have ever enjoyed an album without melodies so much. The only problem when you construct an album this way is that all of the tracks tend to sound the same. Some people will hate that. I am not one of them. The cool thing is that the groove is on point, so with every repeated listen you hear something new that adds to the track. And let me tell you, this disc is loaded with sounds. The samples included are all scientific and feed into that futuristic feel. If they start to incorporate melodies into their music, watch out because these guys would be unstoppable. That being said, I still enjoyed this very much.

Psyshop

Mdk

I've always been a fan to almost all Wildthings' output, and the new RealityGrid album is no exception. I think it's only Diplock now, as Avalon left for Nano Records a while ago. To be honest, you can hear that. Diplock has a very distinct, unparalleled sound, and E.V.P and RealityGrid sound very similiar. You already mentioned, that a lot of the tracks sound the "same" and while I agree, that certain elements reappear at times, the tracks still sound different enough to make them easily recognizable.

Also, melodies are not absent in his tracks, they are just generated by effects, which is rather unusual, but works out pretty well imho. The most outstanding feature of Diplock's music is the atmosphere he creates through his songs. Highly psychedelic, twisted, relentless groove, moody, cold, technical, pure energy...sometimes I can't resist dancing, sometimes I just get mesmerized by listening to the albums through earphones. The outstanding, crystal clear and crisp production quality deserves a special mentioning here.

Most tracks are very good, there's not a single E.V.P or RealityGrid track that I dislike or that is mediocre imo, but lots of them are killer tracks. On "Another Reality"

my personal favorites are "Percievable Distortion" and "Holopod". If you've got the chance, go see Diplock live. I've seen him twice, once in Japan and once in Germany, and both times the crowd got wild, dancing like crazy.

All in all one of the best albums of 2009.

A-

Favorite tracks: 6, 7, 8.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really likeing this, this is like full on, but with darker sortof effects and moods (although more sortof subtle dark, old goa style mood not horror or anything). Although not really dark full on, as it isn't pseudo horror style mood with super dancey bass like azax or something. This album just generally is really impressing me. The tracks are all pretty great with some standout ones. Lots of great effects, haven't noticed the supposed lack of melodies, it's fairly acessable. This is what full on should be. I'll write a full review later.

• 2 weeks later...