Psy Trance Genres

Neilz

Hi all. I was in the pub last night chatting with two mates who have only heard a bit of psytrance, and generally like it so far. I want to compile a compilation for them, to demonstrate the various sub-genres that exist, and how varied the styles are.

I want to use music from my own (limited!) collection, tracks that I play regularly, but could probably do with a few tips to make sure I cover everything. Here's what I've come up with so far. The choices may seem odd to you, but remember it's just a personal thing! I might choose one or more tracks from each genre.

Old School Goa

Transwave - Hypersphere / Hallucinogen - LSD / X-Dream - Freak

Full On

Guinea Pigs - Have a nice flight / Phi - Henro / Suria - Hallucinogirl

New (Old) School

Antares - Aurora / Goasis - Sunrise

Progressive

Wrecked Machines - VidaLoca / Sun Control Species - Only Human / Solar Fields - Summer or Adjustment or Cruise (!)

Ambient

The Infinity Project - The Answer (I always liked this, but there's so much to choose from and I don't have much)

Dark

HyperFrequencies - New Order Of Noise (Again, I'm not familiar with much dark stuff. I prefer it to be very bassy and groovy, like this track, not too minimal).

So, what do you think - any glaring omissions? Tips welcome!

IMO there's no reason to divide Goa into Old School and New School. It's all Goa. Maybe the sound is different, but it's still the same genre.

These are the psygenres according to my opinion.

Goa

Both Old School and New School.

Full On

From vocal-poppy to hard and dark.

Darkpsy

Not just anything dark, but the specific darkpsy genre. IMO dark psytrance can be belong to any genre, while darkpsy is something specific. In the darkpsy genre I include forest too (at least the new style of forest and not the BOTFB style).

Progressive

From minimal to housey.

Experimental

Australian style, psybreaks, fusions, weird stuff etc.

Just Psytrance or Freestyle as I call it

Stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else. Talpa, IM etc.

Other possible genres

Suomi

Although this actually belongs in the Experimental genre, I believe that the quantity of the releases and the specific sound qualify for an individual genre.

Psychedelic Techno

Although most of the todays psytechno belong in the progressive genre many of them are just psychedelic techno.

Twilight

This includes South African style, 3D Vision style etc. Normally this belongs to the Full On genre, but the differences are quite a lot so it deserves its own genre.

And then we have Psychedelic Ambient and Downtempo which has its own numerous genres like tribal, ethnic, beatless etc.

I personally split them so as not to contaminate goa with all this shit, but I still put Ra and a couple others with goa.

So only "good" new school is goa trance? I agree with ormion, old/new school = goa trance... Simple as that for me :)

About other genres, I made a HUGE mindmap 2-3 years ago with my personal opinion about this subject, and I ended up with more then 50 different subgenres... Find it :) remake it, make it better! :)

Haha, easy now, you're all getting far too complicated for me! If I included all those genres, my compilation would be endless!

I'm trying to keep it really simple, just to show people that it's not all the same sound. I prefer to separate new and old school, as the sound is essentially quite different (maybe it's just the advances in sound technology and production), and that's what I'm trying to demonstrate here.

I'll probably throw in a Shulman track to add to the 'Ambient' section, but could still do with something that fits the 'Dark' description, if you have any good suggestions.