V/A - Midnight's Shared Blossom

Rotwang

V/A - Midnight's Shared Blossom (Osom Music)

Posted Image

Press Release:

The new Osom CD, colaboration between kindzadza, psykovsky and other artists, is ready to be yours. Carefully blended patterns of emotional layers mixed well in 9 tracks togiving you a unique experience to your mind soul and body. +++All our yearning would be stilled if we were permitted - as secretly as in a fairy tale, so blissfully softly - to scatter into your brave mind the petals of the midnight's shared blossom+++

Tracks (click titles for Saiko Sounds sample):

1) Osom - exorcisto 16:32

The album opens with a nice trilogy of Osom tracks. These are in a similar vein to Alien Mental's album, a style which could be called "swirling mess psy", albeit with a more electric, less organic sound. The opener is a real epic, and not just because of its length. Many times this track fools the listener into thinking it's about to end, when in fact it has only stepped back to take a run-up before launching into the next sonic onslaught. Over the course of the first thirteen or so minutes it gradually becomes more deranged, more samples get piled onto one another (I felt particularly pleased with myself the first time I noticed the Unreal sample just after the nine minute mark) and the music becomes more and more like the Revolver-inspired collage which decorates the box, until eventually collapsing into a confused, meandering beatless passage. Great.

2) Osom - xaggittariuss 5:17

This short track is largely built around a sequence of sampled melodies, which sound like they may be from cartoons or traditional Russian music or the like. It can't have been easy to arrange them into something which sounds like a coherent piece of dance music, but remarkably they managed it. In fact the end result is much better than merely "coherent"; it's bloody great.

3) Osom - wimp 7:55

Despite the high BPM, wimp has a kind of subdued feel to it. It's quite minimal compared to the previous two tracks, and mainly consists of a deep, rumbling bassline together with a collection of soft buzzing sounds, and one slightly twee xylophone melody. The effect of all this is really quite hypnotic, even soporific.

4) Kindzadza & Technical Hitch - midnight's blossom 7:47

5) Kindzadza & Select Project - power snap 7:42

These two tracks are much closer in style to Kindzadza's last album; the jangly, clockwork sounds make a welcome return, though this time they have a much more jagged edge - think of the eardrum-stabbing noises which made the last two minutes of Back to the Future so great and you're on the right lines. An excellent direction for Kindzadza to take in my opinion. Both of these tracks also have just the right balance in terms of song structure - they have enough progression to stay interesting, while each theme hangs around long enough to draw you in and keep your hips moving.

6) Psykovsky & Furious - cat returns 10:29

A collaboration between Psykovsky and Furious, this basically sounds like a cross between a Psykovsky track and a Furious track. If, unlike me, you're a big fan of either of those artists then you'll probably like this a lot. I find it sounds nice enough, but there's nothing here that gets me terribly excited.

7) Psykovsky & Energy Loop - mess in the shop 5:55

And here we find the obligatory extreme-BPM passage (around 210 or so). Do not want. Other than that this track is quite nice, albeit with a few nails-on-blackboard moments.

8) Osom - sametc 5:41

Sametc opens with another extreme-BPM bit, although this time it actually works - it's utterly undanceable of course, but it's dense enough to keep one's ears pleasantly overwhelmed. There's also the bit with a series of irritating stops and starts of the sort which are all the rage at the moment, a Venetian-Snaresy bit which is eerily reminiscent of the cake music out of Brass eye, and a bit in 3/4 time. Overall this track leaves me with the impression that the artists wanted to fill it with a load of gimmicks which are currently very trendy despite not actually being very good.

9) Osom - shelest plasheY 8:04

This is more like it: no ridiculous tempos or other daft gimmicks, just straightforward darkpsy as made by two people who are really, really good at it. The only drawback is that it's quite difficult to think of anything else to say about it, so I'll leave it at that.

Overall: If you're a fan of Russian darkpsy then this release is absolutely essential. Please don't be put off by my negative comments on parts of the album; even the tracks I'm not so keen on are leagues ahead of most of the psytrance that gets released. And the rest is just brilliant. 9/10

Favourite Tracks: 1(!), 2(!), 3(!), 4(!!), 5(!), 9

1) Osom - exorcisto 16:32

The album opens with a nice trilogy of Osom tracks. These are in a similar vein to Alien Mental's album, a style which could be called "swirling mess psy", albeit with a more electric, less organic sound. The opener is a real epic, and not just because of its length. Many times this track fools the listener into thinking it's about to end,

NOØoo .. !! Massive spoiler <_< fart i read more?

Nice job on linking opp the samples! *thumb up

NOØoo .. !! Massive spoiler

Sorry. But then the track length itself is also something of a giveaway.

Osom is still cow, kin and cpc?

Psykovsky and KDD (I assume - the CD packaging is short on credits).

in terms of comparing it to other albums like Psykovsky's "the debut" and kindzadza's Waves of innerspace; how would you rate the album as to be closest to?

I actually don't own The Debut, so I can't say how it compares. But the Osom tracks sound closer to Alien Mental's Mind Hack than to anything else I can think of. The KDD & * tracks (4 and 5) sound quite similar to Waves from Inner Space.

great review rotwang,

CPC is out of the Osom music project? That sucks, doesn't it? What you mean you don't have the psykovsky - Debut album, you only got a mp3 copy? :blink:

I never got around to listen to the Alien Mental album, maybe I'm missing something.

question to the reviewer, which would you prefer, this or the Peace For The Wicked release?

CPC is out of the Osom music project?

Yes. I'm not sure, but I think he had already left before Peace for the Wicked.

What you mean you don't have the psykovsky - Debut album, you only got a mp3 copy? :blink:

Not even that. I've listened to the samples a load of times but it's never really grabbed me. Sorry.

I never got around to listen to the Alien Mental album, maybe I'm missing something.

I think it's excellent. Been meaning to write a review for ages, I probably will in a couple of weeks.

nice review!

I find it also an excellent album!

favorite track is track 4! the subtil combination in the climax from that liquid sound and that screechy lead is just fantastic :) one of the best kdd tracks for sure ;)

but allmost every moment of this cd is genius.

if you like this, you should also check furious new album.. this is the maximal approach of russian psy

CPC is out of the Osom music project? That sucks, doesn't it? What you mean you don't have the psykovsky - Debut album, you only got a mp3 copy? :blink:

question to the reviewer, which would you prefer, this or the Peace For The Wicked release?

Yep, CPC has left Osom, but the project still rocks.

I have to buy this cd!!!!

still doubting which one I like the best.. this one or the Furious Supremacy

this one has:

-more glitches

-more experimental breaks

-more mindfucks

furious has:

-more flow

-more climax

-more catchyness

well both albums are best two of 2008 for me :P

• 2 months later...

I decided to check this out after a few members on this forum gave it a good word and said it's something new and special.

This album/compilation definitely has its moments. On a few occasions the sheer level of ideas represented parallely reminds me of hux flux's heydays. Then again there's something typically idiotic about many tracks - pumping at 160 bpm and more makes me question the danceability of the tracks. Who can dance to this for more than 30 mins, meth heads excluded? I strongly think the top-end of bpm in psytrance would be in the 154-156 range.

A fast rolling bassline is not enough for a great psychedelic track. I wish more darkpsy producers would understand this. This supposedly cream de la cream darkpsy compilation also suffers greatly of uninspired bassline driven moments and one/two layers of effects that often fail to give any harmonic/sensible rhythm to the track. There's not enough variation in the effects - now darkpsy hardly ever goes to melodic realms so at least I would hope the sound structure to have light effects to create some contrast (I think contrast is the keyword to a successful inspired psytrance track).

Overall I feel exhausted (largely due to fast bpm) to listen this compilation thruout. I feel the wrong guys are in the spotlight of darkpsy - this isn't the best the genre has to offer.

my verdict: 6/10

my recommendations for darkpsy:

tutankhamon 9000 / lost in luxor (2008)

m.m.c. / alice in space (2007)

m.m.c. / worlds i.d. (2009)

arsenic / arithmetix (2009)

pumping at 160 bpm and more makes me question the danceability of the tracks. Who can dance to this for more than 30 mins, meth heads excluded? I strongly think the top-end of bpm in psytrance would be in the 154-156 range.

I don't think this compilation has been made for dancing. In contrast this is music for tripping and not for dancing.

IMO 90% of darkpsy tracks are not made for dancing. Not that I care since I don't listen to darkpsy for dancing purposes.

I agree though that music above 160 bpm is more bad than good.

I don't think this compilation has been made for dancing. In contrast this is music for tripping and not for dancing.

IMO 90% of darkpsy tracks are not made for dancing. Not that I care since I don't listen to darkpsy for dancing purposes.

The problem is, these artists (such as kindzadza and furious) do play this stuff in front of live audiences. There are also lots of bandwagon DJs who play this kinda overpaced music. It might be nice home tripping music I'll give you that. But played live for hours, it gets boring faster than staring a grey wall.

I've tried to dance to darkpsy - but I've noticed dancing is a physical thing related to the beat of heart's pulse - without certain "improvements" your heart pulse will only raise up to 150 or so rate. That's also the maximum bpm that really you can "keep up to" without getting off trail (as the dancer tries to move to the beat of the music).

What I forgot to mention about this release - it also contains awful amount of breaks. Almost all tracks go by this recept. Not only that, the breaks are stretched to the max then releasing the beat for half a minute before a new break section. Artists please take notice: it DOESN'T make the music better. Quite the opposite actually...

define dancing.

if your one step ahead of the music you can move your body acordingly and get into a break-trance'n'dance.

Yeah why not. Break-filled music is just not that trance-indulging. I personally feel it's hard to get "lost" in the music if the beat stops all the time.

I find stretched breaks sound so ridiculous I don't know how to move on the dancefloor. Actually I've noticed quite many people to stop dancing completely and wait for the beat to come back on. LOL!

What I forgot to mention about this release - it also contains awful amount of breaks. Almost all tracks go by this recept. Not only that, the breaks are stretched to the max then releasing the beat for half a minute before a new break section. Artists please take notice: it DOESN'T make the music better. Quite the opposite actually...

I agree about breaks about with dancing music. Full On for example, too many breaks totally kill the music.

But like I said I don't see this release as anywhere near dancing, so these breaks work more for experimental purposes IMO.

I actually find this release as pure experimental psytrance. This is why it sounds much different than other Psykovsky and KDD releases.

For example Da Budet although it has some connections with many tracks here it's much more danceable, slower and without many breaks.