Can you synthesize with your mind?

So I gave a thought about this, I'm sure I'm not the only one who can "imagine" sound. For example I can think of a sound with my mind, such as a synth oscillator and think of it's characteristis like frequency, waveform etc. I can lay out a pattern in my head, and put it on repeat. I can then mimic effects that I know of such as reverb, pitch effects and flanger, there's lots of others aswell like gates etc. One I have the most trouble with is delay. I can't really set my mind to immitate a delay on a loop that I'm thinking of in my head. I guess it's a bit too complicated (for my brain) to calculate time delays hehe. Still tho, I can do some weird stuff like fast tempo slowdowns or speedups, glitchy effects etc. And this is all while I'm imagening the loop in my head. It gets even more fun when I take a part of a song I allready know of. Then I can imagine what it would be like if I put some effects on it, or if I change it's frequency etc. It's really fun to do.

Edit: Now that I think of it, I pretty much do this all the time. For example when I listen to a minimal track that doesn't have alot of changes, I think inside my head how it would be like to put in a sound in there. This is all while the track is playing. I can even simulate an effect over the entire track (such as a flanger) and thus enjoy the track even more. :)

Anyone else like to experiment with their "inner sequencer"? :D

Well kind've but not really, its more kind've gradually getting more the more I play around with it; ask me again in 6 months. So no, I don't think I could imagine what a sawtooth would sound like modulated to the adsr and pitch of a pink noise oscillater, but maybe a some different global envelope adsr settings... and more as I play around with and become accustomed too more.

Well kind've but not really, its more kind've gradually getting more the more I play around with it; ask me again in 6 months. So no, I don't think I could imagine what a sawtooth would sound like modulated to the adsr and pitch of a pink noise oscillater, but maybe a some different global envelope adsr settings... and more as I play around with and become accustomed too more.

Kind have??? :P

So I gave a thought about this, I'm sure I'm not the only one who can "imagine" sound. For example I can think of a sound with my mind, such as a synth oscillator and think of it's characteristis like frequency, waveform etc. I can lay out a pattern in my head, and put it on repeat. I can then mimic effects that I know of such as reverb, pitch effects and flanger, there's lots of others aswell like gates etc. One I have the most trouble with is delay. I can't really set my mind to immitate a delay on a loop that I'm thinking of in my head. I guess it's a bit too complicated (for my brain) to calculate time delays hehe. Still tho, I can do some weird stuff like fast tempo slowdowns or speedups, glitchy effects etc. And this is all while I'm imagening the loop in my head. It gets even more fun when I take a part of a song I allready know of. Then I can imagine what it would be like if I put some effects on it, or if I change it's frequency etc. It's really fun to do.

Edit: Now that I think of it, I pretty much do this all the time. For example when I listen to a minimal track that doesn't have alot of changes, I think inside my head how it would be like to put in a sound in there. This is all while the track is playing. I can even simulate an effect over the entire track (such as a flanger) and thus enjoy the track even more. :)

Anyone else like to experiment with their "inner sequencer"? :D

I do this especially in the quiet early mornings when I'm half awake and spaced out.

I'm a mental DJ! a Dee Jay with brainwaves!