Parties without night-time-trance?

Mindbender

There are many things I simply can't fit in my head.

One of them is the style of music played at "psy" parties these days. I know I've been bitching about this a lot (well, most of my few posts touch the subject).

Here are some thoughts about the scene:

A) I feel most of you would agree that the sort of full-on generally played at parties is just :wank: . Is this just about "psy" trying to make itself more accessible to people who've digged other types of dance-music (say hardcore or hardhouse) or to appeal more to the speed/coke crowd to increase the numbers at parties and thus income? Can you think of other reasons why it's almost always this totally un-psychedelic, 'heard this a million times already', harder than hard banging? Because I simply don't understand.

B ) Another reason I don't understand this hard, hard and hard -approach is that it doesn't feel hard anymore after a couple of tracks. Even if those tracks are good, it becomes rather boring. It loses it's hardness and just becomes :wank: . To make the hard bits feel hard, I think you need to have contrast. To make hard feel hard, you need to have occasional hard tracks, not only hard. So as to not lose momentum and make the rest "un-danceable", play something that is danceable in its own way in between, like really groovy tracks.

C) The above goes IMO for pretty much everything. If a DJ plays just "groovy" tracks, they too lose their grooviness and become boring. Yet there is this unwritten rule that a DJ should basically play just one style of "psy" for their entire set. This is again something I don't understand. I'd much rather have sets that go through several styles. No, I don't mean playing a "best of -list", but there's plenty of stuff straddling a couple of different styles, which would allow for smooth transitions between styles. And thus the music would remain continually interesting. How often do you hear sets that go something like this (for example): prog-techtrance-fullon-goa-suomi in two hours? Never. And it would be clearly possible. And if someone were to do this, why not them play for 4 hours? Why always 1-2 hours? To gather more crowds by having more performers?

D) Even worse, whole parties tend to be labelled, usually either prog or full-on. Come on! A whole night of the same stuff. Boring! Yet it seems to me that some of the most attended parties are the ones which dare to shake things up a bit and are less limited in the scope of music played. Eg. Twisted parties. Of course, with Twisted, the name(s) draw in the crowds, but still. It's not the boring same-old-same-old and they get great attendance.

E) Why is morning trance played only in the morning? I mean the name already says it all, but really, IMO this is where it's at. If I were to arrange a party it would be starting and ending with the some of the 'most morning' of morning trance mixed with "normal morning"; with most of the night a mixture of morning and night and everything in between. I know everyone has different criterions for what is morning trance, but I've bumped to quite a few people who call really hard stuff "morning", as long as it's not the really, really, really, hard-so-fucking-hard trance, which is "night". Seems like anything remotely softer is out of the question 2am-6am. Seems like smiling and grooving is forbidden for that time. It's just banging, grinding teeth and grimaces. Not fun.

F) Why do the DJs just play the latest of the latest releases? When everybody is doing that, surely someone who'd play good classics from throughout the ages should be occasionally welcome, but it never happens. Why? I know, new music can surprise you and there's a definite (psychedelic) surprise factor involved in dancing to tracks you've never heard. But as far as I can tell, most of the party crowd doesn't listen to this music at home and most haven't been in the scene long enough to even have heard the classics, so it could as well be new to them. And the crowd seems to always go crazy when they hear a familiar monster-hit-track - so why not take advantage of that? Occasionally at least. But no, it happens like once a night, if even.

Ok, well that was a major rant. But I'd like to know why to each of the points I made, because I simply don't understand a single one of them.

PS. I'd be happy to help anyone in organising happier, trippier and more musically varied psy-parties in the London area, if someone here is thinking of doing that or knows people who are...

understand and even partly agree with some of your points, but to cut this short:

ad A: the stuff sells ... that's the reason ... and if it gets too psychedelic it's too hard to digest for meny people at the parties ... no joke

ad B: if you craft a set well, it doesn't lose hardness ... you are probably listening to bad DJs, I had this problem aswell on a 1337 darkpsy party - "pran pran pran pran pran" all the time, helluva boring ... well-crafted sets, even when they're dark (have been to other darkpsy parties, not that 1337-ly announced), never even let you think the thought that it could get repetitive...

ad C: set crafting ... that's also valid here. And this is the reason why I don't go to ordinary local DJ gigs already since years ... even while some of them are god most of it's just, well, badly crafted so to say ... I rather watch artists where I know what they sound like and that they are capable of delivering a set that doesn't get boring....

ad D: not the case here ... you mostly gotta know which crew's organizing to know what sound to expect ... but it's good that I know what to expect, it gives me more control ... which is good!

ad E: I once had a night full of morning trance (kinda) and it was awful ... the morning approach is starting to disguise me on parties ... even though I privately actually only enjoy morning trance, I'm liking night time trance on parties much more...

ad F: I rather prefer new releases to hear what's going on in the scene at the time, I'm used to not knowing 99 percent of the tracks played and it's good like that...

@ Mindbender, first of all may i ask what country you are from? And what type of psy trance do you like? I really agree to a lot of what you wrote, i felt something similar when i went to a few recent parties here in sweden that played so called psy trance.

Obviously a lot of stuff has changed since i was out at psy parties more often (in other words late 90´s) but from what i can tell there is still a bit of everything but it might be harder to find those little golden gatherings.

A lot of the best parties are not public and just for invited people and also since different countries have different scenes, travelling might be the only good alternative if you want to party to a specific genre.. the other option as i see it is to gather some friends that think the same as you and that likes the same music as your self and make some underground parties :) For me who likes old school goa i think the countries i find interesting to visit just because of the music would be: Belgium, Finland, Israel, and perhaps Norway if RA would perform live there?

Because i think from what i have heard these countries have more or less active goa trance parties. If anyone knows any other country where there is some kind of goa trance activity let me know :drama: In sweden we have some goa going on, or its a bit mixed the regular formula would be: Dark and Full on during night time then goa trance in the morning, (Unless the goa trance is dark) Just to please everyone kind of. But there are some goa heads out there who keeps the goa flame on fire and makes 100% goa parties, might be that those parties are not as crowded but very good vibes and friendly people make up for that. :posford:

Bottomline would be: Just take a look at the line up of the party you are going to, i mean why waste your time going to some shit you dont enjoy? I will never ever go to a party that plays only full on again, because i wont get anything out of it.. just headache and then i would probably make a topic similar to this one :D

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if you want chilled out music at 2-6am then is there not a chillout room at the parties you go to? I guess comparing the London crowd to anywhere else in the country is difficult but I've only been to a few where there was none (though I have to admit those that didn't sucked. Variety is the spice of life). Perhaps it's because it's London that they always want to 'mash it up' to hard hard hard psy? Far as I've heard they don't seem to like doing parties on the small end of the scale but if you want a captive psy loving crowd then maybe a huge crowd size isn't really going to give it to you.

F) Why do the DJs just play the latest of the latest releases? When everybody is doing that, surely someone who'd play good classics from throughout the ages should be occasionally welcome, but it never happens. Why?

+1

F) Why do the DJs just play the latest of the latest releases? When everybody is doing that, surely someone who'd play good classics from throughout the ages should be occasionally welcome, but it never happens. Why? I know, new music can surprise you and there's a definite (psychedelic) surprise factor involved in dancing to tracks you've never heard. But as far as I can tell, most of the party crowd doesn't listen to this music at home and most haven't been in the scene long enough to even have heard the classics, so it could as well be new to them. And the crowd seems to always go crazy when they hear a familiar monster-hit-track - so why not take advantage of that? Occasionally at least. But no, it happens like once a night, if even.

Interesting point. But remember that those gold classics, back in their day, were most probably canned to death by each and every DJ on a global scale, and have eventually bored everyone who was around. Most of those same DJs have since a long time abbandoned ship, started digging a new style and/or sound, and just don't wanto to go back to something that was "hot" a decade ago.

Though I have to admit, sometimes when I hear the crap coming out of the speakers at some parties, I feel like begging for an oldie goldie tune...

meh different styles, been there done that, only in the odd case out it works (one time i had a fullon mix with a chillout break in the middle) but more than one alternative track to the style i wouldn't go, and yes, crowds only want harder and more the longer the party goes on, somehow i can understand this. you come to a (goa)party to freak out and get rid of the stress and frustration from society, so yes, a heavy discharge has to be present in the form of abominative megalomania psy. I as well (i'm mostly active on the oldschool goa parties here) am mostly not pleased with the tracks other djs play, they just play fullon power goa like Ra and other tracks that never stop. I'm the only one in the belgian scene that would pop in the odd infected mushroom track (i played never never land on an open air party this summer, this was right after a heavy track so my set totally lost power and drive, but the people still seemed to be very entertained (luckily:p) guess i took the right chilled track to put in between. but as soon as it got a bit to the end the pounding retook. :P

not to mention the totally retarded dark scene (worldwide?) here in belgium, there are djs here who play sets from 180 bpm to 200 bpm, totally no ideas or inspiration, just the bpm that counts as 'psychedelic factor'. haha, if i ever hear this at a party i'd first laugh my ass of and then go and offer the djs some beers of own conception! :lol:

I agree with B/C/D/E/F 100%. Only thing I wasn't with you on was the speed/coke bit, that's not accurate I don't think (not here anyway).

B) A lot of DJs simply go hard and stay that way. You're right about this, certainly--which is where the "peaks, plateaus, and troughs" model of programming comes in.

C) I do this all the time... trance DJing is about the journey; you go from one place to another. I don't think this is nearly as effective when you limit yourself to one style.

D) Same as before, you aren't getting the full experience at an event that focuses on one small piece of the pie.

E) I like the night style but I don't think it is necessary to play it all night at every party... there are so many different ways of orchestrating the flow of a night. Melodious, beautiful music in the heart of night, especially outdoors, can work extremely well. I guess it depends on what the preconceptions are; here in Canada most trancers are open-minded, but I gather that crowds in some other nations virtually demand that a particular music is playing at a particular time of day or night.

F) This happens when DJs play for other DJs, not the audience. What is more important: impressing people with tracks they haven't heard or playing a good set that appeals to the crowd? I doubt many DJs ask themselves this. Anyhow, I play a variety of music from different time periods; my next gig is going to focus on Scandosound classics and Y2K-era hits: a sort of flashback into time. And for Halloween, one of my sets is going to be a genuine old school set--I don't play many of those, but the promoters requested it. And the next one might be all new, who knows? That's the fun of it. Every set is a unique story to tell...

• 2 weeks later...

my local party, Cabbage, (you may have heard me mention this before) does a right mix of music...and it works...

at the next one there is going to be old and new stuff played as its the 10th birthday bash..cant wait!

I did go to a party where they did a Goa special on one floor, that floor was packed! the other two floors were empty....that says lots to me...

i love to hear new music played, but really appreciate hearing old stuff too, tho if every dj did that, then not a great deal of new stuff would come onto the scene i suppose....

saying that, how bangy can it go before its almost techno???

my local party, Cabbage, (you may have heard me mention this before) does a right mix of music...and it works...

at the next one there is going to be old and new stuff played as its the 10th birthday bash..cant wait!

I love the chill out room at Cabbage. There's a DJ that plays there, think he's a resident, and he always takes me to brilliant places. Plus now they've opened the back area outside you can get a cup of tea and go chill in the breeze for a bit. Also v much looking forward to the 10th birthday bash :)

I love the chill out room at Cabbage. There's a DJ that plays there, think he's a resident, and he always takes me to brilliant places. Plus now they've opened the back area outside you can get a cup of tea and go chill in the breeze for a bit. Also v much looking forward to the 10th birthday bash :)

cool!

the lads name is Si Splatt! and Sarah his partner does the Tea stall with Roly....Si is also doing the main room this time with his own unique brand of delicious psy......

find me and say Hi!!

:)

Yeah, I'm forever getting confused with who's who DJ wise over at Cabbage/Kulu (I know who I like, just not the name that goes with them...). I'll keep an eye out for you anyhow ;)

well, Kulu has Mick and Bez and Chris or Dr Moose......

Posted Image

Bez & Si and jess sat down:)

Yes, Bez is perhaps the only one I do know by name. Was you at Castle when he gave out the inner children? Possibly the best costume idea ever. I still hold mine close to my heart :D

not managed a Castle party... too many other commitments sadly:(

i see all the pics tho:)

not managed a Castle party... too many other commitments sadly:(

i see all the pics tho:)

That's a great shame, but I guess commitments are commitments. We can all be glad that Kulu itself is even still around after all the drama this last year or so I suppose. Fraid it'll always be closer to my heart than Cabbage, even if Cabbage is truly spectacular at times.