youtube - your best source for golden oldies

Lemmiwinks

man I've latley done some random strolling thorugh youtube and was AMAZED by the quantity of "videos" of old trance EPs going around. I used to think that I had a good knowledge of early trance releases (mosltly early Eye Q and Harthouse), only to find out now that there were HEAPS of even better and earlier stuff going around except no one ever knew about it (except for people into the scene back then).

check this one out for example: Konzept - Hypnautic Beats, goatrance from 1990 and noone mentions it!!!

anyway, here are my favorite channels till now:

skower73

iuhaha

any more to recommend?

PS I'd like to point out that these are links to EPs that have been out of print for more than a decade, I don't think that the usual "dloading music is bad mmmkay?" argument is viable here cause it's simply impossible to walk into a store and buy this... and even if would, how could you know what you're buying because these are virtually unkown names.

check this one out for example: Konzept - Hypnautic Beats, goatrance from 1990 and noone mentions it!!!

Fascinating. This is not very far from a lot of what we normally consider "early" Goa Trance from a few years later. It also has techno elements, which is cool, too, since it shows a part of that evolution. It's also called an "ambient mix", so I'd be curious to hear the original mix. And I also can't help but think how relatively difficult this stuff was to produce compared with the ease of today's technology.

Fascinating. This is not very far from a lot of what we normally consider "early" Goa Trance from a few years later. It also has techno elements, which is cool, too, since it shows a part of that evolution. It's also called an "ambient mix", so I'd be curious to hear the original mix. And I also can't help but think how relatively difficult this stuff was to produce compared with the ease of today's technology.

hah what I find crazy is that it's called 1990 mix... I mean it already sounds revolutionary for 1990 and aparently then it was already out for years cause they call it 1990 mix. Crazy lol

oh and thanks for the link Basilisk. Sorry, I've been off this site for more than a year so I admit that I've kindof lost touch with psynews life ;)

hhahaha you youngsters! :) (Have all of the above)

well post videos of your favorite EPs then ;) I'm gonna join the club too as soon as I have some spare time to do so.

Come on people, it is up to us to keep this culture alive! :)

PS for the record, in 1990 I was 10 years-old, thought the best track ever was Alice Cooper - Poison and was wearing Iron Maiden t-shirts (not that I knew who Iron Maiden was but the writing looked cool)... :unsure: I've come a long way since then lol

• 2 weeks later...

Difficult? I doubt it. Sounds like easily-programmed sequencer patterns to me. At 1990, we're talking hadware sequencers most likely, but still, not difficult.

I wonder what this music would sound like with modern production and more than 4 tracks (possible sounds) on the mixer

Probably annoying and not nearly so cool. More capability often leads to more crap than music that has to be made as good as possible within certain limitations.

Probably annoying and not nearly so cool. More capability often leads to more crap than music that has to be made as good as possible within certain limitations.

yep, 100% agree... IMO people these days spend FAR too much time tweaking sounds instead of trying to find good melodies. For example back in the days Man With No Name just played with factory-standard synth presets but he gave us some of the nicest melodies ever IMO.