Mastering Suggestions for the Free Music Movement

Sorry, I must say that mastering1.com site's is full of shit and that guy there DOES use NS10's as his mastering pair. After reading his site thoroughly through, it became quite laughable and I feel sorry for any musician who buy's into his shit.

I get the point regarding NS10's, I misread too deeply into it. I stand corrected and admit.

But for the humor out of all of this, I suggest reading mastering1.com's site, it's really funny.

-d

http://absy.com/ABSMMI/ITV/TLA/ukitvtla.html <- as far as mixing is concerned, you cannot diss this guy for using the NS10's as his main mixing pair. If you do, you have no credit :-P but I am also reading that older pairs of the NS10s were of better quality, had awesome bass response, etcetera, and throughout the years, Yamaha changed the design.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

90% of the people who listen to music, don't have monitors, and msot of them, probably don't even know what monitors are, if someone uses high quality speakrs to master a track, it can, and most likely will..sound like pure shit on shit speakers, and that is a problem, because most people use shit speakers, like earbud headphones for instance...

i have heard wav format songs taken from astral projection and the like, and some of them, sounded like crap, probably because they took the time to make thier track sound good only on high quality monitors....

if your going to master, you need to master on the type of speakers that most people will be useing, mostg people..use headphones, and i have yet to hear a track that sounds really good on earbuds....

90% of the people who listen to music, don't have monitors, and msot of them, probably don't even know what monitors are, if someone uses high quality speakrs to master a track, it can, and most likely will..sound like pure shit on shit speakers, and that is a problem, because most people use shit speakers, like earbud headphones for instance...

i have heard wav format songs taken from astral projection and the like, and some of them, sounded like crap, probably because they took the time to make thier track sound good only on high quality monitors....

if your going to master, you need to master on the type of speakers that most people will be useing, mostg people..use headphones, and i have yet to hear a track that sounds really good on earbuds....

Posted Image

Well, unless you don't give a shit about the listener, sure go ahead and use only the highest of high quality monitors...it will most likely sound shitty on your car stero though.

Please ignore the above post, it's wrong.

Do you consider to use NS10 over P33A to reach higher sound quality or you flirting with me? :rolleyes:

Who is talking about crappy speakers reaching high quality sound?

I said you need to master on crap speakers aswell as high quality ones so that you get a balence. Because what sounds good on high quality speakers, doesn't sound good on low quality speakers, duh. And you need to matser them on ear buds, and you need to master them on headphones, and if you can, you need to use standard car stereo speakers aswell....the point was, to use many qualities and kinds fo speakers when you master, and not one brand/model..because it won't be the same on all speakers.

God damn, i had to actually expline that, lol.

Who is talking about crappy speakers reaching high quality sound?

I said you need to master on crap speakers aswell as high quality ones so that you get a balence. Because what sounds good on high quality speakers, doesn't sound good on low quality speakers, duh. And you need to matser them on ear buds, and you need to master them on headphones, and if you can, you need to use standard car stereo speakers aswell....the point was, to use many qualities and kinds fo speakers when you master, and not one brand/model..because it won't be the same on all speakers.

God damn, i had to actually expline that, lol.

No, you need to master them on god damn good speakers to sound good on the ones you mentioned, and THAT is an artform! ;)

I can do the odd track here and there for you but I'm doing a lot of free netlabel stuff at the moment and I need to keep my schedule somewhat free for paying jobs, so I'm not really interested in taking on a large free project at this time. Like I said though, ones and twos is possible.

Thanks Colin, I'll probably contact you at some point... I have two thrusts here--people I can recommend to others and someone I can go to myself, for which I don't mind paying at least something (or working out some kind mutualistic exchange).

I can confirm this! Even if you got tones of software it's nothing more than toys on your PC without real good convertors + monitoring + acoustics and ofcose experience, which something that not comes over night! Also one thing i would like to add ---> Artist can not make proper mastering for own music! What ever he/she do, it's sounds good to him/her, cose of during long sessions brain simply adapted to this sound and he/she can not hear what's missing or needs to be added anymore!

On topic, hey Basilisk i tried to contact you several times on msn and by e.mail...but i had no answer from you! I wanted to give you some free music for your releases, but seems that your ignorance is bigger than YOU. Why you not replay and say thank you, but this is not what I'm looking for...or something like that!

Hey Witch, no offence intended. If I get back and you are offline after having sent an MSN message then obviously I don't get back to you... I think the track you sent over was pretty cool and appreciate the offer. I agree with you completely on the first point you made--that artists usually cannot master their own work properly (not unless they're seasoned veterans anyhow).

Seems like I hit a nerve with this thread. Thanks for the other recommendations (chatnik et all) and I will keep everyone in mind... I do agree with the sentiment that "closing the gap" between production and mastering knowledge would be very helpful, but my general aim is to legitimize free music as a viable alternative to going commercial... and I feel part of that is professional sound quality, an issue I would like to see improved as much as I would like to see contract reform on the commercial side.

Peace.

No, you need to master them on god damn good speakers to sound good on the ones you mentioned, and THAT is an artform! ;)

So your saying Gataka and Astral Projection and Cybernaut are shit then...thats nice. Because all of them have songs that sound crappy on earbuds...and also on regular PC speakers....and on car speakers.....just because you master something on the highest quality speakers only..does not automaticly mean it sounds good on anything less quality....

And you master to fit your target, everyone knows that.

So your saying Gataka and Astral Projection and Cybernaut are shit then...thats nice. Because all of them have songs that sound crappy on earbuds...and also on regular PC speakers....and on car speakers.....just because you master something on the highest quality speakers only..does not automaticly mean it sounds good on anything less quality....

And you master to fit your target, everyone knows that.

dont make me compare you to Radi, cause thats what you sound like at the moment. PC SPEAKERS! ;) And what cheap Ear Buds are you using?! On my Skullcandy in Ear ones, Astral sounds COOL! Car speakers? I happen to know what kind of quality they have... lowest of the crap. So please, cut the crap. You can not be serious that a release have to sound good on ANY FUCKING SPEAKER there is. I mean, I would be a fucking CUNT to demand that they should sound good on my tape recorder in the kitchen.....

MAYBE people need to invest in some better stuff instead of complaining... but thats just me... if you love music, you love your ears, and if you love your ears, you dont get crap.

Get a Grip!

/pissed off mode off :D

Exept that not everyone actually has quality speakers.

Sure, you can tell people to get good stuff, doesn't change the fact that most people don't have good speakers, and most likely, that will not change, ever.

The point is, anyone who is smart will try to make thier track sound as good as possiable on as many speaker setups as possiable..those who don't, are lazy. And don't care about the quality of thier track.

A track is best known to people when they hear it in their headphones or thier Cd player, or, which is no surpise, on a computer with thier PC speakers....unless someone is an artist, they probably won't dish out 1000$ for some good monitors.

Exept that not everyone actually has quality speakers.

Sure, you can tell people to get good stuff, doesn't change the fact that most people don't have good speakers, and most likely, that will not change, ever.

The point is, anyone who is smart will try to make thier track sound as good as possiable on as many speaker setups as possiable..those who don't, are lazy. And don't care about the quality of thier track.

A track is best known to people when they hear it in their headphones or thier Cd player, or, which is no surpise, on a computer with thier PC speakers....unless someone is an artist, they probably won't dish out 1000$ for some good monitors.

you said anything about good 1000$ speakers? I know enough speakers that are good for homelistening around the 100-200 euro mark. You are nitpicking ;) Anyways, I am not going to discuss this with you anymore. Make music for headphone listening, but just WISH no dj will ever play your tunes on a party ;):lol:

you said anything about good 1000$ speakers? I know enough speakers that are good for homelistening around the 100-200 euro mark. You are nitpicking ;) Anyways, I am not going to discuss this with you anymore. Make music for headphone listening, but just WISH no dj will ever play your tunes on a party ;):lol:

i don't make music for people to dance to, i make it for people to sit in thier rooms and listen to ;):lol: so i doubt a dj will want to play it anyways, reguardless of how mastered it is

i don't make music for people to dance to, i make it for people to sit in thier rooms and listen to ;):lol: so i doubt a dj will want to play it anyways, reguardless of how mastered it is

Thank you for taking away Colin's aforementioned embarrassing moment for myself. ;)

-d

Here is the way I look at it.. I almost bought Adams.. Since I thought that the monitors are main thing in the master sesion.. But than I thinked about it for some time and than I came to a conclusion that I should first try to do a decent mastering with stuff I have.. And it worked after a long time and lots of crappy results.. But as I say I first thought, man what is wrong with that programs, why dont they make my track rock.. Than I realized that experiance is the most important factor in this.. Pro enginiers spend years and years training their ears.. Of course its a must to have good monitors but also reference monitors are a must.. As far as I know kitchen radios or TV mono speaker is a great referance tool.. I personally use one crappy computer speaker as a referance.. And of course its much better that artist do mastering by himself not to loose the original feel.. So for the start get yourself good mastering progs and learn man, first you have a lot to read and I mean a lot.. There are plenty sources for that.. But I wanna make a point that even with top speakers such as adams mastering wont worth nothing if u dont know what u are doing.. Its like giving Pagani Zonda with no roof to someone who has no driving licence..

I think we all should stop this argument about monitors. Sorry, I didn't mean to bring it up. It really should just boil down to who's doing it, how long they've been doing it, and whether or not their ears are trained enough on their particular equipment in their studio to do a good job.

The proof isn't so much in the pot [the studio], but the pudding [the track coming out of the studio]. I've found all sorts of opinions online and there really is no right or wrong judgment call.

-d

Ahem. I think this illustrates just how mystical a process mastering is.

Its mystical only for mastering records.. CD mastering nowdays isnt mystical..

I realized that relying on meters isnt very good, it ruined my mixes.. Like someone wrote in one manual..

Let ears be the final judge.. So ears are most important part in mastering process..