Multistate

Otto Matta

I am in some other fucking world right now. Thought I'd share. Never have I experienced this sort of high from music alone. At least not this particular sort of high, or this sort of intensity - which is a cross between a really hefty synthetic stimulant and perhaps a mild psychoactive, but made of electricity. I had to keep the hyperbole down in my review of Collaborating with Machines, but Jesus, I'm totally tweaked! I remember back in 1997/1998 finally discovering Goa/Psy music like Pleiadians and Astral Projection and feeling like I'd arrived. But since 2000 or so I feel like I've been just chasing that initial experience. I've recovered it here and there, temporarily, with several albums. I remember going a bit nuts with Fractal Glider, X-Dream, Schlab in general and Ka-Sol. But nothing like this. This is so much more. This is phenomenal. This is a whole album, beginning to end, of pure adrenalin, testosterone, and substances that haven't been published yet. It's like I've been traveling for nine years just to hear this album. I hope I don't regret this when I come down. :ph34r:

Multistate are Xatrik and Lost And Found.

It's full on yes, but it's South African full on. And you can't compare SA full on with the rest of full on shit.

Great act, great album.

Honestly, Ormion, I don't remember enjoying Xatrik's first album, Project A. I pretty quickly put it into my To Sell pile, after having my expectations shot down. I remember reading an interview with him and about how he was disappointed with it himself. So I sort of lost interest. But after hearing just a few minutes of the first track on Collaborating with Machines at Saikosounds I knew it was for me, regardless. Anyway, looks like I have to pick up Inside Information ASAP. And I'll definitely have a go at Future Cuts, too, like you suggest. Thanks! :D

Project A is really different that Inside Information. It was darker, more aggresive, less groovy and no melodic.

I guess you'll enjoy Inside Information much more although it's not as good as Multistate.

But seriously you have to check Lost And Found's last tracks! He's geting better and better!

Project A is really different that Inside Information. It was darker, more aggresive, less groovy and no melodic.

I guess you'll enjoy Inside Information much more although it's not as good as Multistate.

But seriously you have to check Lost And Found's last tracks! He's geting better and better!

Cool, man. Will do. :D Thanks for helping me not feel delusional about the Multistate album. Hehe. It really does hit me in all the right spots.

By the way, I have the new Broken Toy here next to me, which I have yet to dig into. Have you heard it yet? The last one left some room for improvement, so I hope he's sorted some things.

I don't have the new Broken Toy nor the previous one. I like his music a lot though, maybe I have to check it out.

This period I just can't stop listening to Frozen Ghost-Edible Technique. It's ultra-phat South African madness with totally awesome final melodic lines, both super aggressive and groovy. The last track (Edible Technique) is the closest to MFG's Metamorphosis (in a 2007 sound of course) I can imagine.

Check out the samples here: http://www.saikosounds.com/english/show_ar...?artist_id=4469

There's also an artist that he's style is very close to the Multistate sound: Hiyarant. Check his tracks too.

I don't have the new Broken Toy nor the previous one. I like his music a lot though, maybe I have to check it out.

This period I just can't stop listening to Frozen Ghost-Edible Technique. It's ultra-phat South African madness with totally awesome final melodic lines, both super aggressive and groovy. The last track (Edible Technique) is the closest to MFG's Metamorphosis (in a 2007 sound of course) I can imagine.

Check out the samples here: http://www.saikosounds.com/english/show_ar...?artist_id=4469

There's also an artist that he's style is very close to the Multistate sound: Hiyarant. Check his tracks too.

The Frozen Ghost album sounds good, although I think all the samples and the spookiness kind of blow it for me, but the music is exactly right. Edible Technique does indeed sound like a fantastic track from that sample. There's no way my head's not bobbing to that one, and the layering and sound work is really effective. And yeah, Hiyarant is nice. Raw and powerful. Thanks again for the tips, Ormion.

Turns out the Broken Toy album is not great. Formulaic full-on that reminds me way too much of IM and Skazi. But it does have its moments.

• 1 year later...

The album is great and most of the Multistate tracks I've heard from compilations are also kick-ass. Which brings me to an issue I have. I heard some samples from Future Cuts and I've been hesitating to buy it. The samples I heard sounded too intense even for my taste and I don't want to be disappointed. Can anyone give me a short review of that compilation?

On other matters: new Broken Toy album has some moments, I agree. But they are brief moments. It's kind of boring.

Xatrix or Lost and Found? I think Xatrix is funkier. Any further thoughts?

The album is great and most of the Multistate tracks I've heard from compilations are also kick-ass. Which brings me to an issue I have. I heard some samples from Future Cuts and I've been hesitating to buy it. The samples I heard sounded too intense even for my taste and I don't want to be disappointed. Can anyone give me a short review of that compilation?

On other matters: new Broken Toy album has some moments, I agree. But they are brief moments. It's kind of boring.

Xatrix or Lost and Found? I think Xatrix is funkier. Any further thoughts?

Although Future Cuts is not the best Timecode compilation is quality stuff as always.

To be honest it doesn't sound to me more intense than the rest Timecode compilations.

The Multistate remix on Cigarettes and Silver Bullets of Hydraglyph is insanely good.

If you like South African psy is a must buy IMO.