best tracks evargh!

frozen dream

When did you discover psytrance?

Because obviously you wouldn't ask such questions should you known the scene better... He's been producing trance music since 1995 and released at least two albums considered classic - Cosmology in 1996 (goa) and Synergy in 1998 (psytrance). On his next 4 albums he experimented with different sounds - on Intergalactic from 2000 he did his interpretation of progressive / minimal trance, 2002's Contact saw him trying a conceptual theme of human evolution, while the last two (Trancendance from 2007 & Psychedelica Melodica) were both directed towards the dance-floor and full-on crowd, though in my opinion they're still head and shoulders above generic Isreali stuff and the compromise between 'intelligent' and 'for the masses' is spot on.

Sorry for the rant, but I couldn't leave a comment like that unanswered ;):D

Well, I've listened to psy for a couple of years, it's only recently that I've became obsessed with it. So for the past two years I've been collecting as much info as possible. When it comes to Goa and old school artists I'm not very familiar. I'm not surprised you react the way you do, but you got to understand I don't put too much emphasis on styles, famous labels, how long "they've" been doing it and such. I simply listen to what I like and keep tabs on the artists I think create great music. Didn't mean to offend anyone by asking that question. There's only one way to find out right?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've listened to psy for a couple of years, it's only recently that I've became obsessed with it. So for the past two years I've been collecting as much info as possible. When it comes to Goa and old school artists I'm not very familiar. I'm not surprised you react the way you do, but you got to understand I don't put too much emphasis on styles, famous labels, how long "they've" been doing it and such. I simply listen to what I like and keep tabs on the artists I think create great music. Didn't mean to offend anyone by asking that question. There's only one way to find out right?

No worries, man! I don't feel offended - just wanted to shed some light on that subject...

If you can, please check Cosmosis' first albums - they're great! :)

No worries, man! I don't feel offended - just wanted to shed some light on that subject...

If you can, please check Cosmosis' first albums - they're great! :)

Will do, anything else I should listen to? :posford: :clapping:

U2- With or without you

For an outstanding blend of 80's synth pop, the then so popular rock-pop, amazing use of U2's trademark infinte guitar and the standardly stellar song writting courtesy of Bono... A timeless track.

I disagree. The album has _loads_ of melodies. He made em more "dry" so it may sound minimal in that sense - but actually this album is quite the opposite.

:)

I disagree. I didn't wrote that Intergalactic isn't melodic - I said Cosmosis in that album showed his interpretation of minimal / progressive sound, which you confirmed writing that it may sound minimal due to dry production. I wouldn't say it's -full- of melodies though - it's musical and harmonic, but only few tracks have real melodies...

Anyway, seems like you agree with me after all. Sorry to disappoint you :)

I disagree. I didn't wrote that Intergalactic isn't melodic - I said Cosmosis in that album showed his interpretation of minimal / progressive sound, which you confirmed writing that it may sound minimal due to dry production. I wouldn't say it's -full- of melodies though - it's musical and harmonic, but only few tracks have real melodies...

Anyway, seems like you agree with me after all. Sorry to disappoint you :)

seems like our interpration of minimal trance is different then. I suggest checking out stuff like "shiva chandra - gecko" to hear what minimal to me sounds like.

althou melodies on this one are rather dry and not that obvious and fluffy, they're still there. that's why I couldn't go saying this is minimal trance. and that's not all: there's so much fx trickery thrown around on this album it only starts to open up after several listenings, in my case at least. "synergy" was a long-time winner of his productions for me - but after listening to both albums countless of times this one took the advantage. :)

and for progressive - something like zenon, iboga and tribal vision would be my choice.

this album... it's one sweet mothafuckin psy-album. no less, prolly more. :)

Replying to best tracks evargh! :ph34r:

If U2, how about Sunday Bloody Sunday? Amazing, amazing song.

Yeah, from a certain viewpoint Sunday Bloody Sunday would be their career defining song, but while it is awesome, it is IMHO the moment when their careers and future musical directions were definitely shaped: the world (and the guys from the band) fully realized the potential and the profitability of socially aware, conscious and politically charged music :)

Not that it is a bad thing, but sometimes I have the feeling that U2 gave in their innocence and pure music in favor of politics and over the top preaching... I still hold tracks like the highly emotional Bad or the rowdy Fire to be their finest tunes! And speaking of politics, how could we overlook Pride (in the name of love)? A wonderful, completely amazing tribute to Martin Luther King.

seems like our interpration of minimal trance is different then. I suggest checking out stuff like "shiva chandra - gecko" to hear what minimal to me sounds like.

althou melodies on this one are rather dry and not that obvious and fluffy, they're still there. that's why I couldn't go saying this is minimal trance. and that's not all: there's so much fx trickery thrown around on this album it only starts to open up after several listenings, in my case at least. "synergy" was a long-time winner of his productions for me - but after listening to both albums countless of times this one took the advantage. :)

and for progressive - something like zenon, iboga and tribal vision would be my choice.

this album... it's one sweet mothafuckin psy-album. no less, prolly more. :)

You can't let go, can you?

As I mentioned, all I said was that Billy on Intergalactic did his interpretation of progressive / minimal. Do you know what 'interpretation' means? He just took his old psychedelic trance a'la Synergy, but recorded it in a way that was most popular at the time, i.e. put more emphasis on bass, rhythms and effects; but still threw melodies here and there. It's not minimal / progressive as you seem to think I thought; it's his interpretation of this aesthetics... End of.

You can't let go, can you?

As I mentioned, all I said was that Billy on Intergalactic did his interpretation of progressive / minimal. Do you know what 'interpretation' means? He just took his old psychedelic trance a'la Synergy, but recorded it in a way that was most popular at the time, i.e. put more emphasis on bass, rhythms and effects; but still threw melodies here and there. It's not minimal / progressive as you seem to think I thought; it's his interpretation of this aesthetics... End of.

hah :D

Quite strong words there Lassie. Sounds like you're able to get inside Billy's head then as you know what his motives for the album were.

Yes as you said, it's not minimal as I seem to think minimal. Neither it is minimal in the sense you'd mark in discogs as "minimal" either.

But hey what's prog what's minimal? As many _interpretations_ :rolleyes: (hard word to type!) as there are listeners.

You're right saying it's minimal. I'm also right saying it's not. I simply try to influence the general consensus towards this album accordingly to my views. I think it's an album not to be missed. "minimal" seems to have bad echo these days and I wouldn't like that to be the reason for somebody not checking this album out! :)

You're right saying it's minimal. I'm also right saying it's not. I simply try to influence the general consensus towards this album accordingly to my views. I think it's an album not to be missed. "minimal" seems to have bad echo these days and I wouldn't like that to be the reason for somebody not checking this album out! :)

Well, that's a very noble thing to do, but you're doing it at my expense, suggesting that I don't know what I'm writing about. Once again, I don't think Intergalactic is minimal / progressive, but it was surely influenced by them, hence the 'interpretation' thing. And it is corker of an album, agreed.

Oh, and it's your problem if you think 'minimal' has negative connotations. I will use it whenever I feel like. And it fits perfectly it this case, as Intergalactic is definitely more minimal than Synergy & Cosmology.

:rolleyes:

Well, that's a very noble thing to do, but you're doing it at my expense, suggesting that I don't know what I'm writing about. Once again, I don't think Intergalactic is minimal / progressive, but it was surely influenced by them, hence the 'interpretation' thing. And it is corker of an album, agreed.

Oh, and it's your problem if you think 'minimal' has negative connotations. I will use it whenever I feel like. And it fits perfectly it this case, as Intergalactic is definitely more minimal than Synergy & Cosmology.

:rolleyes:

I'm not doing anything by your expense. You only get offended by my opinions if you decide to. It's your own choice. It's matter of opinion to see this release as minimal/not minimal. You can and should express your opinions as you wish. I'm doing the exact same thing. The only difference is, you want to get offended by different opinion and thus defend your views and reject mine. For me it's just influencing the public in the direction of my views. As I already said, we're both right as there is no wrong or right to this.

hihi :)

I'm not doing anything by your expense. You only get offended by my opinions if you decide to. It's your own choice. It's matter of opinion to see this release as minimal/not minimal. You can and should express your opinions as you wish. I'm doing the exact same thing. The only difference is, you want to get offended by different opinion and thus defend your views and reject mine. For me it's just influencing the public in the direction of my views. As I already said, we're both right as there is no wrong or right to this.

hihi :)

OK, that's futile ;)

Let's agree to disagree on that one.