Speakers VS Headphones

Do you mix your songs on speakers or phones?

I've found that mixing on speakers (not pro speakers, just regular listening purpose speakers) makes it sound good both in headphones andt the speakers whereas the other way around doesn't work quite that well (when i mix on my headphones the bass seems to kill people if i play it on speakers).

I use monitor headphones, although I'd use them in combination with monitor speakers if I didn't live in an apartment with neighbors. I find that my levels in headphones can be deceiving, and after I finish a track I have to listen to it in various modes, like in the car, on crap computer speakers, etc., before I can tell what's too loud and what's too soft. After which I adjust the levels appropriately.

I'm wondering if my Sennheiser 280pro headphones, although decent for monitoring, are not the best. Anyone have any good monitor headphones advice while we're at it? (No Sony recommendations, please, for godsake.) I'm assuming closed, circumaural is best? I'm kinda leaning towards Beyer for my next set.

Guest The Journey Man Project

currently use headphones but want to switch to speakers asap... I"m sure 3 hours or more straight with headphones is not a good habit to form :ph34r: