old vs new Koxbox

visine

Can't compare "Forever After" with the new koxbox stuff. The feeling isn't definitely the same... Sometimes, I doubt that their newest productions, as the last "U-Turn" album, contain some feelings inside...

640342[/snapback]

Now i can imagine how bad the new koxbox aktually is, ofcourse they went comercial like all other groups.

Now i can imagine how bad the new koxbox aktually is, ofcourse they went comercial like all other groups.

640404[/snapback]

well, no :)

One of the best releases this year (well, so far)...

True it doesn't sound like other Twisted stuff, and doesn't remind old Koxbox a single bit... But, who cares? When I first saw the cover few months ago I've immediately spotted the alien-eyes from their first album and thought to myself "this is a good sign!"

The album makes full 180-degrees turn musically (hence the "U-turn" title) and goes back to their techno roots. There's much more techno here, than there is goa/psy. That's why I can understand many people being dissapointed, however I cannot subscribe to that point of view. Remember "The Great Unknown"? How many people were pissed of at the direction they've taken on that album? Many were saying about them "losing it", "selling for money" etc... But, from perspective of time it is now regarded as one of their best works.

This new album is similar. There's only one member now, but he collaborated with other artists on all tracks and this makes for great variation of sound / moods on the album. Some tracks are full-on, other are more technoish and then some feel more progressive. But, they all have that cyber- / alien- dark feeling beneath them, which is what I liked best about it. Some tracks are instant floor-killers (1, 2, 4 and 6), while other need more focus and effort to truly appreciate the mastership (3, 5 and 7). It really makes me wanna laugh when I think about stuff people nowadays call "dark-psy" or "tech-trance", because this is so much better, so much more mature.

If there's anything "wrong" with this album, then it's probably track order. Personally, I'd rather have it starting with more progressive tracks and ending with full-on ones. But that's not a problem really and I can understand why they've put the most powerful tunes in the beginning (buying based on previews).

4.5/5