Trentemoller - The Last Resort (Pokerflat Records)

Goa Bill

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what if they dont want to?

624111[/snapback]

Your choice. You can live in the past but a lot of ppl here like to be exposed to new directions you see? That's where reviews about different sides of electronic music become handy. And if this review passed on Isratrance there's no reason why it wouldn't fit in here. Or do you have a problem with it?

Your choice. You can live in the past but a lot of ppl here like to be exposed to new directions you see? That's where reviews about different sides of electronic music become handy. And if this review passed on Isratrance there's no reason why it wouldn't fit in here. Or do you have a problem with it?

624113[/snapback]

would you have a problem with me havin problem with, if any ;)?

Where does one sample and/or buy this thing?? :unsure: I would like to sample it. I can't find any links on the initial review or following posts from anyone. The album doesn't seem to exist on psyshop or saikosounds either. :o:(

Where does one sample and/or buy this thing??  :unsure: I would like to sample it. I can't find any links on the initial review or following posts from anyone. The album doesn't seem to exist on psyshop or saikosounds either.  :o  :(

624822[/snapback]

That's because it's not psytrance and therefore not sold thru the usual psytrance channels...

You can get it loads of places though:

Amazon: X

Play: X

Conzoom: X

HMV: X

Virgin: X

Juno: X ~ .m3u-preview of all tracks here

/DP

shitty 30sec samples, but better than nothing: amazon.de

it's not on psyshop or saiko as it's not categorized as psy

624840[/snapback]

Hey thanks!

That's because it's not psytrance and therefore not sold thru the usual psytrance channels...

You can get it loads of places though:

Juno: X ~  .m3u-preview of all tracks here

/DP

624841[/snapback]

Mucho gracias DP.

Btw this album sounds extremely different and unique. Highly experimental, ambient, downtempo, and more. I may get this. It's fresh and inventive, at times beautiful, weird, strange, interesting, boring, not boring, unpredictable, touching, happy, sad, soft, light, thoughtful. I seldom feel this album was inspired or influenced at times by Violet Vision albums.

would you have a problem with me havin problem with, if any ;)?

624180[/snapback]

Oh Jesus. :D

Very good ! Trentemoller rocks ! So mellow, smooth, liquid downtempo dubby techy stuff. CD 1 is almost entirely downtempo and dub where CD 2 collects his singles and gather them on one place, bringing pretty mellow tech-house ambience. The guy is for sure very talented and for his debut this is stunning. This one for sure gets 9/10. :D

Posted Image

1. Take Me Into Your Skin

2. Vamp

3. Evil Dub

4. Always Something Better

5. While The Cold Winter Waiting

6. Nightwalker

7. Like Two Strangers

8. The Very Last Resort

9. Snowflake

10. Chameleon

11. Into The Trees (Serenetti Part 3)

12. Moan

13. Miss You

Every now and then an album is released that shifts my current musical preferences into completely different territories. It was in 94 with Prodigy's Music For The Jilted Generation. Astral Projection's Another World in 99' and subsequently Kox Box's Great Unknown and Hux Flux's Cryptic Crunch in 00'.

For almost 5 years i almost completely abandoned everything that went without the "Psy/Goa Trance/Ambient" label and recently started doubting the possibility to be utterly impressed by anything that is electronic and new. Spending hours with old recordings by Pink Floyd and crying over what was once a huge premise and turned into recycle bin or a money printing machine. Depends on what part of the Electronic scene you looked.

Trentemoller's music was introduced to me around a year ago by my Swedish friend Andres who sent me his Forest EP and told me that it's THE shit and i was forced to stop the Pink Floyd tune that i was playing. I was blown away from the first second by the intricacy, the caressing melodies and the little weird noises that give that special character to Trentemoller's sound. Since then i swallowed just about every Trentemoller bit i could aquire and my appreciation rose higher and higher almost to the point of a blind admiration.

And now we finally have the album. To be perfectly honest i've been having it over a month now and as soon as it was available for pre-order on Amazon i ordered my copy. But it's not the point of the review...

The album starts with one of the strongest tunes of the album, Take Me Into Your Skin, which sound to me a bit Ott'ish circa "in dub" album. Although a bit more uptempo. The angelic female voice that wraps up the tune is nothing but amazing and serves the tune right. Proper beginner of the album.

The second tune, Vamp is one of the weakest links and it's basically a digital dubby groover that sound like something that Leftfield might do shall they still be together. Nothing fancy here, a bit of a filler before another killer.

Evil Dub is exactly what the title says. The dubby bassline in fatter than Marlond Brando in his last days and those little scratchy Trentemoller trademark sounds are omnipresent here and give that warm, almost analog sound. One of my personal favorites here.

Almost Something Better is up next and it was originally concieved as a vocal track and it is also the first Single from this album. The vocals were stripped down here but they appear on the vocal version in the bonus CD that will be mentioned later. Unlike what happens most of the time, the instrumental version is weaker than the vocal version and after repeated listens to the vocal one, this, instrumental sounds tad empty. Not to say bad, just a bit awkward. A brilliant tune nonetheless with vinyl scratches and strings arrangements that give a somewhat James Bondian atmosphere towards the end of the track.

While The Cold Winter Waiting is another magical tune with some gentle sounds, acoustic percussion and sonic manipulations to spice things up. Sounds a bit like the music the Santa Claus would play in his Santa-mobile.

Nightwalker shifts the gear up and presents us a bit more familiar Trentemoller dancefloor oriented rhythm and sounds. Deep, funky, groovy tune that makes your head move without asking it.

Like Two Strangers sounds very similar to While The Cold Winter Waiting with it's winter strings sounds and laidback beats. The Santa comes back home and he's alone in Christmas. Once again.

The Very Last Resort is another dubby monster that has a very Youth bass sound and interesting Ennio Moricone on mushrooms feeling from the middle towards the end. Fantastic sound work here. Another personal favorite.

Snowflake starts with some more dubby basslines and developes into something rather weird and confusing musically. A bit of a filler in my humble opinion.

Chameleon is a track that AFAIK was already released and it's a typical Trentemoller dancefloor killer with jazzy percussion and quirky fat house beats. Pure sonical bliss.

Into The Trees (Serenetti Part 3) is another personal favorite that starts with absolutely awesome jazzy percussion and uber warm analog-like bassline and leads. The sound is lerger then life here and Trentemoller's sonic expertise here is fully evident.

Moan is another originally vocal tune that was stripped here and appears fully on the bonus CD. Once again, the vocal version sounds better and basically the same otherwise. This is another emotional epic tune with strong cinematic soundscape. Another favorite.

Miss You, the closing tune is the most minimal here and it's quite a sad ending for an absolutely mind blowing album.

Favorites: All of them are great really but if i was forced to give away the best they would be: 1!!! 3!!! 4! 8!! 10!! 11!!! 12!

Final words: Get it! It's the best album of 2006 and a perfect winter companion.

I'll write a review for the second CD when i'll have the power.

617258[/snapback]

It's not psytrance, is it ? LOL

Bad stuff. :ph34r:

Would you guys mind if review on this forum some gabber album ? :P

Bad stuff.  :ph34r:

627741[/snapback]

Euhm, sorry, but so what coz it's not psytrance ?

I reviewed many non trance albums, people need to know about all the quality stuff no matter the genre.... :ph34r:

Bad stuff.  :ph34r:

627741[/snapback]

People like you killed Psy-Trance. Seriously. Please ban yourself from the forum and quit the scene.

Euhm, sorry, but so what coz it's not psytrance ?

I reviewed many non trance albums, people need to know about all the quality stuff no matter the genre.... :ph34r:

627751[/snapback]

I always thought we review psy and related albums on psynews.org

Well, good to know all "quality" stuff is welcome to be reviewed...

I'll keep that in mind.

Hahah Pavel, some misunderstood. People like me keep the scene alive.

I think you should't talk like that as long you dont know me!

627891[/snapback]

The scene was created by people with broad influences range. The current generation that was brought upon nothing but psy trance and goa has nothing unique to bring. That's what makes the music so stale nowadays. A bit like marriage between cousins. This album in my and many other's ears is the most psychedelic album of the year. Deal with it.

Well i have nothing to deal with. I heard the entire album twice, becouse i heard thousand of good reviews on that one. Even after 2 listens i couldn't like it. It's to weird for me. Or its becouse im anty-electro fan :)

Anyways, this album might be psychedelic for some, but i prefer more dnace floor orientated psychedelic stuff. It might be trance or even years ago techno. Besides something is psychedelic, it must be also danceable for me in most cases. Thats the main reason why i dislike "the last resort" album.

PS: please dont think i stick to so called psytrance only. Its not true! :P