Front 242 - Headhunter 2000

RTP

Okay ... I gotta say I totally love this track! I recently rediscovered it (I remember listening to it back then as I was in driving course and afterwards I didn't want to listen anymore because it reminded me of driving course and learning and stress...) and am again amazed how good it is. Gosh, I love it ... it's so damn great ... I played it so often meanwhile it's already at the edge of overplaying.

So what I'm asking now is ... well, guess what. I NEED GOOD RECOMMENDATIONS OF SIMILAR SONGS PLEASE!

Now of course I wasn't an idiot - I have checked out myself already some stuff. Frontline Assembly for example - after all they did that remix. Well, I must say that despite being fond of them because their sound is good I haven't found another tune of FLA that's as POWERFUL as this remix yet - got any specific recommendations? I don't hope this remix is a "one hit wonder" of them for me?

Also Front 242 ... it's quite good, but I didn't find such powerful stuff of them. Their original Headhunter 2000 track is absolutely not my cup of chai :(

The KMFDM stuff I checked out is also ... not powerful.

But I fucking need more ... this one track is really sooo damn good! I need my fix of more such POWERFUL stuff as this! PLEASE!

(What genre is that btw? Industrial?)

I like this track: Front 242 - Moldavia

543094[/snapback]

Is it POWERFUL and kickin'?

to my definition yes.. if you play it loud enough =)

543143[/snapback]

hmmm...

Well, I checked it out and ... to my definition it's not :P

It's an okay track, but not more.

yes... FLA is industrial...

I think the best track by them was Plasticity and Columbian Necktie...

I haven't heard all of the Headhunter 2000 CD as I still believe it is the worst song Front 242 ever wrote... Front 242 ? all their tracks are better live (live versions of their tracks are alot more kickin...)

You should try their latest album Artificial Soldier, one of the songs (Future Fail) is in fact guest sung by Jean-Luc de Meyer/Front 242. Quite an energetic album.

Also try their third latest album Epitaph, my favourite (the track Dead Planet most powerful here).

As someone already mentioned, Plasticity is their most energetic and best track ever.

If you like guitars then there are a few powerful tracks on their album Millennium too.

(Front 242s track Tragedy for you and Rhythm of time must be their most powerful. Unfortunately they're no good anymore. Everything sounds TB303 (old songs remixed and totally destroyed) or very minimalistic nowadays. FLA on the other hand, I can't wait to see them this summer. One of thoose bands who seemes to only get better for each day).

I haven't heard all of the Headhunter 2000 CD as I still believe it is the worst song Front 242 ever wrote...  Front 242 ? all their tracks are better live (live versions of their tracks are alot more kickin...)

543782[/snapback]

Yes, the original version of Front 242 is pretty crap.

But you should give the FLA remix a listen - it's TOTALLY different compared to the original!

FLA on the other hand, I can't wait to see them this summer. One of thoose bands who seemes to only get better for each day.

543830[/snapback]

Oh yes.

They come to Malmöfestivalen ... and play a free show there!

A FREE FLA SHOW!

Damn, I am SO jealous because of that ... <_<

If I had known this then I would have planned my trip to Sweden this year and not last one :(

Oh yes.

They come to Malmöfestivalen ... and play a free show there!

A FREE FLA SHOW!

Damn, I am SO jealous because of that ... <_<

If I had known this then I would have planned my trip to Sweden this year and not last one :(

543922[/snapback]

I'm going to think of you when I see them at the Malmöfestival this summer ;)

There's also a webstreamrip (VIDEO) available from their ongoing tour: http://delerium.ca/FLA_Live_SanFrancisco2006.mov.zip

(almost 800mb, poor sound/video but great anyway)

By the way: If you like that remix (I find it more danceable then the originalversion) then you might want to find out more of that. Maybe you should check out the Futurepop genre? (it's more tranceinfluenced industrial/EBM music): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurepop

Yes, the original version of Front 242 is pretty crap.

But you should give the FLA remix a listen - it's TOTALLY different compared to the original!

543922[/snapback]

Blasphemy!

:P Nothing can beat an original, in my book.

Anyhow, are you familiar with FLA-rmx of that Tim Schuldt-track?

well, to me FLA has even more intense tracks than this one. Take for example "backlash", "krank it up" or "dead planet" from the epitaph album. Or try the whole "Millennium" album, especially "liquid separation", if you like heavy guitars. Or the tracks "Machine Slave" and "Circuitry". They have a lot of these intense tracks.

Other tracks you could try are Overseer - Supermoves or Noise Unit - Liberation... nice furious industrial breakbeat tracks.

Hehe, that's what I call cool: today I went into this one used CD store where I once saw a Frontline Assembly album (but I didn't buy it back then). It was still there - even cheaper than before ... so I bought it :)

It's the Implode album.

And it's actually pretty good! Even the not-so-powerful tunes.

Anyway, I think I'm meanwhile getting into the sound and moving away from that power fixation towards real sound exploration :)

Still, thanks for your recommendations - I definitely will check out those tracks!

By the way: If you like that remix (I find it more danceable then the originalversion) then you might want to find out more of that. Maybe you should check out the Futurepop genre? (it's more tranceinfluenced industrial/EBM music): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurepop

543925[/snapback]

Maybe I will check that out ... sounds quite good :)

new musical doors opening ... I like that :rolleyes:

(Front 242s track Tragedy for you and Rhythm of time must be their most powerful. Unfortunately they're no good anymore. Everything sounds TB303 (old songs remixed and totally destroyed) or very minimalistic nowadays. FLA on the other hand, I can't wait to see them this summer. One of thoose bands who seemes to only get better for each day).

543830[/snapback]

I'm going to see them when they are here... I'm going for the opening band though DJ? Acucrack... I'l stick around for FLA though... seen them before, they do put on a fun show!

Hehe, that's what I call cool: today I went into this one used CD store where I once saw a Frontline Assembly album (but I didn't buy it back then). It was still there - even cheaper than before ... so I bought it :)

It's the Implode album.

And it's actually pretty good! Even the not-so-powerful tunes.

Anyway, I think I'm meanwhile getting into the sound and moving away from that power fixation towards real sound exploration :)

Still, thanks for your recommendations - I definitely will check out those tracks!

Maybe I will check that out ... sounds quite good :)

new musical doors opening ... I like that :rolleyes:

544319[/snapback]

Implode is also nice :) Good thinking, FLA is really sound exploration of complex electronic music. It's really worth taking your time to get into it, you won't regret it :)

For me Futurepop was the genre who made me interested in listening to the synth/EBM genre again. I can give you a small list of good tracks if you want to.

For me Futurepop was the genre who made me interested in listening to the synth/EBM genre again. I can give you a small list of good tracks if you want to.

544442[/snapback]

Well, I'd not say not to that :)

Here we go:

Albums recomended:

Futurepop (VNV Nation and Apoptygma Berzerk coined this new genre):

2000-1: VNV Nation - Standing/Burning Empires (Tracks: Saviour (Vox), Legion (Anachron), Standing (Motion))

2000-2: Apoptygma Berzerk - Welcome to Earth (Tracks: Starsign, Eclipse, Kathy's Song, Paranoia)

Industrial:

2001: Front Line Assembly - Epitaph (Tracks: Dead Planet, Backlash, Epitaph, Everything Must Perish, Insolence, whole album is great)

Harsh EBM/Futurepop:

2002-1: Hocico - Signos De Aberracion (Tracks: Instincts of Perversion, Untold Blasphemies, Forgotten Tears, Twisted Lines)

Futurepop:

2002-2: Assemblage 23 - Failure (Tracks: Naked, I am the Rain, House on Fire, Awake)

Synthpop/Futurepop:

2002-3: Colony 5 - Lifeline (Tracks: Be My Slave, Before I'll Give in, Colony 5, Crackhead, Friends, Stay Young, Trust You)

Harsh EBM/Futurepop:

2002-4: E-Craft - DOS Unit (Tracks: Fahrenheit, Embryonic, Puppet Nation, Kill the Fakes)

Futurepop:

2003: Pride & Fall - Nephesh (Tracks: Inside, Paragon, Omniscient, December) - If you like this one also check out their new album Elements of Silence.

Melodic EBM (quite unique for it's genre Melodic EBM)

2004: 8kHz Mono - Monochromator (Tracks: Heavy Water, 305699V2, Blue, IRQ15, Suspect, Frequency, whole album is great)

Modern Futurepop (an evolution of the Futurepop genre with more proggressive trance influences, fantastic album):

2005-1: Mind.In.A.Box (Austrian band) - Dreamweb (Tracks: Certainty, Lament of Lost Dreams, Machine Run, Sun and Storm, Out of Time, The Dream, Between Worlds, Escape, whole album is great) - I made a review here: http://www.movinghands.net/reviews/detail.asp?id=925

Same genre as above but not that great, still good:

2005-2: Headscan - Pattern Recognition (Tracks: Synchrony, Sentinel, Permafrost, Lolife, Arrache-Moi, Antenna Manifold, Carnal Knowledge

Industrial:

2006: Front Line Assembly - Artificial Soldier (Tracks: Unleashed, Buried Alive, Dopamine, Social Enemy, Future Fail)

Also check out theese tracks with Icon of Coil - "Regret" and "Former self" from their album Serenity is the Devil also their latest album Machines are us is great.

Other fun stuff (single tracks): 047 - Pingpong (C64 influenced band), Das Ich - Destillat (VNV Nation Remix) - Popular remix, Melotron - Folge mir ins Licht (Verdienter Mix des Volkes), Deine Lakaien - Where You Are (VNV Nation Remix), Z Prochek - Sacrifice Myself, Echo Image - Compuphonic (Erasure influenced Futurepop album).

Most of them have webpages or even Myspace accounts with free tracks to download :)

Guest Astro Cortex

I've been getting a little into FLA too, lately. Perhaps the first time I seriously appreciate songs with lyrics. But I still don't like all of them (by far!), and I think that's why I won't explore the Industrial/EBM/Futurepop genres much further - well, for the time being that is. :)

Anyway, I've discovered some really awesome instrumental (semi- in some cases) tracks on the few FLA CDs I bought: First of all there's Casualties, No Control and Slaughter House from the Initial Command album (though I really like the album as a whole actually), then Cro-Magnon and a few others from the Total Terror 2CD, and Synthetic Forms and Silent Ceremony (which sound more like Synaesthesia tracks than FLA ones) on Implode. However, Implode also has a few tracks that sound a bit too commercial for my liking.

Thanks for the big list of recommendations ... I will definitely check out some of that stuff next time I'm bored :)

and Synthetic Forms and Silent Ceremony (which sound more like Synaesthesia tracks than FLA ones) on Implode. However, Implode also has a few tracks that sound a bit too commercial for my liking.

544569[/snapback]

Oh ... yeah, those two tracks are different to the others. I don't like them so much though, I prefer the others - even though some of them have a bit of a more commercial undertone, I don't care about that, it's great music :)

I also know Slaughter House. That one isn't bad...

Industrial:

2006: Front Line Assembly - Artificial Soldier (Tracks: Unleashed, Buried Alive, Dopamine, Social Enemy, Future Fail)

544544[/snapback]

Thanks for this recommendation!!!

Just listened to this album, and holy shit, its just too good to be true...

There's your energetic industrial RTP :D

545252[/snapback]

It is good, but somehow a little bit less melodic than their previous works...still, it is FLA and I am glad they still haven't lost their touch... :D

545252[/snapback]

"Buried Alive" fucking rocks! Unbelievable! Great chorus... have listened to it a hundred times now hehe, still not tired of it!

"Buried Alive" fucking rocks! Unbelievable! Great chorus... have listened to it a hundred times now hehe, still not tired of it!

545450[/snapback]

Hell Yesyesyes!

After many many listens I came to the same conclusion, that this track is my favorite... I love the pure raw energy and speed of this track, and then such a great chorus. Basically the quintessence of FLA's previous doing.

I also love track #1: "Unleashed", which also has a great chorus "To hell with humanity, the more i see, the less I believe"

track #7, "Social Enemy" is another one of those heavy, yet extremely danceable tracks. Awesome chorus. Have FLA ever been better?

track #8, "Future Fail"... another highlight. Cant get this chorus out of my head. Awesome vocals!

I like more or less every Front Line Assembly album, Epitaph was very much focused on synths yet it had one of the most intense atmospheres I ever heard, Millennium was more or less a Metal album, I liked that one too, just like the rest. It would be very hard to me to pick a favorite.

Anyway, this new album is a huge step in FLA's evolution, something no one really expected. With every album they manage to maintain their characteristic sound yet still sounding fresh, sometimes even ahead of their time. FLA (and the guys behind that project) are THE major phenomenon of electronic music to me!