ur FIRST reaction to psy?

"what the hell is this shit?...and how the hell does someone dance to this NOISE????"....well that was mine...but as u can tell i stuck around for a bit and have reached here. and thank god i heard it at a party or else i doubt i would ever have given it another listen.

did u think it was total carp at first too?

Guest Raider

Nope... the first I've heard was X-Dream, and I was fascinated by The Frog-song... before that, I used to listen to a lot of plain techno/rave and lots of electronica'n'big beat, but I feel in love with Goa/Psy Trance as soon as I heard The Frog.... and went out and bought Distance To Goa 7 and feel in love with that CD - and I've been buying and luvin' records since that moment!

I admit some Goa has scared me, because it was so fucked up... didn't like Koxbox - Dragon Tales at first, because I was used to the funky sound of The Green Nuns Of The Revolution... but now I love everything released from Koxbox (of course)!

Guest DJ MIKE

Well the first Goa CD I bought was a compilation, It was "Goa Trance, Psychedelic Flashbacks, Box set 1". It was a 4 cd box. Let me tell you before this I was into Paul Oakenfold, Trance, Deep Trance, Proggressive Trance, Hardcore/Gabber, a little D&B, Happy Hardcore (sux fat nuts now), and some others, But when I heard those so called "Goa Trance" cd's I was hooked, it had everything I wanted in a song, Thick basslines, just driving the music, and dope as synth leads and melodies, it just fucking kicked mad ass. Here let me give you some of the artists and songs that I first heard... Prana & Amanite FX "Black Rain" ..... Optica "Acid Munchies" ....lol acid munchies!!.... Multiplex "Audio Engine" ... I suggest you fucking hear this song, this is the song that got me into goa right here... I'm listening to it right now... MMM... Psychedelic Flashbacks that's for damn shoore. Well anyway if anyone has this compilation or the second Psy Flashbacks I wanna hear what you gotta say about em... They kicked ass to me and they still do... I'm hooked man, HOOKED I TELL YOU!!! Anyone got any goa/psy cd story's to tell, the one's that got you into goa, I wanna hear it... :0) Goa Now is far better than I would have ever Imagined, Fucking rips nowadays!!! Keep it up people, YOU ROCK!!!

Guest bahamut

The first 2 psy tracks I heard were Juno Reactor - Laughing Gas and X-Dream - Protoplasm... I had these 2 tracks on an old tape along with more regular clubtrance recorded from a German radio station.

I never knew the tracktitles until now, but I always thought these tracks kicked ass and were way cooler than the rest... I had something like wow! this is what I've been looking for! :D After that it took about 4 years til I found the tracktitles and discovered what psytrance is.

Well my experiance was completly different. Being a little maturer (39) I was in th 70's Brit rock especially the psychedic groups and progressed onto Jazz fusion. I found that by the early 90's Jazz fusion was going nowhere. I generally loved dancing but hated discos. Went to a 3 day outdoor trance party and it was like a duck to water for me.

Guest Navigator

bahamut: same goes for me, listened to DtG 5 and damn! this is the electronic music I've been searching for since a long time :-) Nowadays I like them all: goa,melodic.progressive, full on, minimal, don't care as long as it's good music

I'm only into the psy schene for about a year but b4 I was listenin to trance/house but I always felt that it lacked variety and there wasn't enough power in the music. Some friends from uni showed what real trance (psy of course) was like and I loved it from the very first moment. I listen to other kinds of music but I find other types of electronic/dance music (techno, house, trance...), realy boring or simply sound polution.

Guest Mindtwister

The first track I heard was Sheyba - Ganesh on Distance To Goa 3 I think, I was about 12 years old (1996). And since then I have never stopped listening to Goa/psy!

//Mindtwister

My first reaction was:

"God damn...... what the hell dude?! Its doing the same shit over and over and over and over and- woah... WOAH!! woah its NOT doing the same shit over and over! WOAH!! holy SHIT! This is way less-repetitive than any pop or rock music out there........ woah! woah! woah! woah that was cool!"

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

first reaction to Shpongle: aaahhhhhhhhhhhh.... aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh yeah... ooooooooooo........... woah! aaaaaaahhhhhhhh

Guest Tyrannicide

To be honest, I didn't think much of it when I first heard it. It took a while for the music to really coalesce. Now I can't go a day without listening to it at least once. It's definitely an integral part of my life now. I listen to lots of other stuff too, but this stuff really satisfies me like no other when the time is right :)

the very first time i heard psy trance i didn't give a fuck. i was on e and i would have danced to nearly everything. can't even remember what kind of psy it was. but i've changed a lot and i love my psy now!!!!! :-)

np: mfg - shape the future

Guest NeuroParticle

When I first heard psytrance I got filled up with some sort of feeling like: "oh s..t, that's what i was missing all these years". That was something from the Astral Projection. That was the greatest music for me for a coulpe of weeks, and then I started to move on and on.

Now I can't spend a single day without listening to psy.

Addiction I tell ya. But I like it!!! BOM!!!

Guest norb-e

we throw a private rave party at my friends house for new years eve of the millenium...

we played regular rave shit.. and trance... then later someone put on some astral projection.... and i had the sickest experience....

i had an astral projection to astral projection!!! i got out of my body, and i was like "whatta hell!!!", i didnt know what was going on...

i went home the next day... went on yahoo... and typed in "astral projection" then all this shit comes up about out of body experiences... so i was like "shit.. so thats exactly what i experienced !!!"

my friends gave me some psy compilations and albums... and i was amazed by the whole sound... i'm a musician, and at that time i just had absolutely no idea, i could not even slightly imagine how they could make music like that.... for a few months after that i was trying to figure out how they did it...

i got more and more albums... and now its one of my fav styles!!!

psytrance is not just some sick music... it has a deep meaning, a deep message to me... it totally opened my mind to spirituality... i started reading books on eastern religions... etc... and in a year my whole life changed and everything was about psytrance and spirituallity...

Guest bugbread

Hmmm...The first time I heard it, I thought, "It sounds like Acid House, but with less progression, and more repetition". I asked a friend what made it different from Acid House, and he said basically that they used more staccato, gated effects. I didn't dislike it, but it seemed kinda plain for my tastes.

The next time I heard it was about 4 years later, in a listening station in HMV (I think the CD was "Distance to Goa 4") and I thought it completely rocked.

Now that I know the really good stuff, I wonder what it was I heard the first time.

thats awesome...everyone experiencing different things and finally landing up at the same destination----> PSYTRANCE!!!....i used to be a TOTAL hip-hop freak before i started listening to goa...imagine that;-). infact...i couldn't stand ANY electronic music before i heard this...and im still amazed that i actually listen to this stuff...my friends from several years ago ask me what i listen to and without ANY doubt the words jump outta my mouth before i can even open it--->"Psytrance!!!...thats what its ALL about"...and the responses?..."eat a dick u electro listening skinny prick"....i couldn't care less cuz i know that i have more than what they have:)...but im workin' on converting them to what "I" have...its working but only time will tell how well it works.

----Gandu, tun to "psyched" ho gaya-----

"In Psytrance name, Amen!!!"

The first psy i heard was on a friend's reccomendation

he told me "Juno Reactor"

and i was thinking WOW what an awesome name for a group!

bought the CD, and goa became the only music i've actually ever really liked and cared really about.

I put the CD in my car and i was taken to a place that everything i liked pointed to

i've always liked sci-fi movies, building electrical projects, learing about outter space, computer games, spacey LEGOs... martial arts... good goa psy is my personality in a nutshell

b4 that i had almost no interest in music. I liked listening to new age, classical, and metal. but never bought CDs.

now i'm a DJ and can't find a place to store all my CDs!

The first track I listened to was "Astral Projection : Mahadeva", and I can say you that I did not think it was crap, I thought it was ... pretty weird, pretty fast ... and ... so original ! Since then ... well you know :o)

Guest space^madness

i had a friend introducing me to psytrance/goatrance, and i still remember the day he showed me shpongle - are you shpongled ? were i managed to say "where the FUCK are the melodies? put on astral projection instead, geez"

i just couldn't percieve the brilliance of that music at the time, now of course it's one of my favs!

boooom

• 20 years later...

20 years later, so a bit late I guess, but still an interesting topic. 

I’m going into a new phase in life where goatrance has a more active role again, so I’m digging through a LOT of old topics. 

Excuse me if this is too old to reply to. 
I think it’s a timeless topic though.

My first encounter was a compilation called Hypnotrance, I think around ‘’96, I didn’t know it at the time but there was a track from X-Dream (feat Planet B.E.N. - The 5th Dimension), on it, (‘94 disc) so that was my first goa experience., but I knew nothing about goatrance. 

I was just so excited to hear something else than the regular mostly uninspiring trance, I bought every Hypnotrance compilation I could find. Though there weren’t much true goatrance artists on it, it was much more creative than other trance I heard.

It was only in 2000 that I really discovered goatrance and it’s subculture, the first two IM albums, (what a discovery…!) Astral Projection, MFG, Pleiadians, Sun Project, Etnica, Dimension 5, etc, it felt like coming home. 

It was completely inspiring, fresh, full of energy, life, emotion, and I honestly loved the whole aura around it. 

I got interested in different cultures, traveling, the tracknames gave me new things to explore and learn more about, the samples were interesting. It was the music I always wanted but never truly knew about, even though I heard some of it before, I never realized the whole movement behind it. And the wide array of artists making quality music. Cosmosis for instance was and still is a God to me.

I love a lot of different music, from different kinds of metal, trash/death/doom etc, to jazz/blues/soul, reggae, old school hiphop, world music, experimental, etc, I devour it all, it feeds me, but goatrance opened my mind to a lot of things I was blind to before. It gave me a deeper connection with the world I live in. 

I’m well aware of how cheesy this might sound, but it truly contributed to a quest I’m still on, it took away the superficiality. 

It truly gave me purpose, and purpose is one of the driving factors behind life.