2. oCeLoT-Jungle Disco 23 (remix)

3. PENTA-Looking Great

4. SILENT HORROR-Atheist

5. SYNTAX ERROR-Bitmap Bugs

6. FURIOUS-Paper Seed

7. TERMINATOR-Scary Boubles (Dark rmx)

8. DEJAN-Kikabassa

9. ENCEPHALOPATICYS-Process

10. ANALOG EXPERIENCE-G-Force (DarkPsy rmx)

Style: Dark

Mastered by KinDzaDza

Artwork by Fabio Borges

This is the seventh release of the Russia based label.

First track by Stereographic, a new Brazilian artist. It starts like a dark track with a fast bassline and some simple fx. After the first minute some hi-hats hit the floor and it starts to build. But when you think that it’s just another one typical dark psy stuff a great melodic line makes your day better. Nice acid melody reminds me a bit the old good days, great surprise for this kind of track. For the rest of the track we get more simple fx and around minute 4’ a second great melody- more fairytale style. The last two minutes though are fx over fx again. Overall it’s an amazing track with surprising melodies, but with two problems. Unfortunately the melodic lines last only for a couple of seconds and the rest of the track is too typical (no climaxes, no ultra crazy madness). But it’s a damn good track! I can’t wait to hear more stuff from this guy.

USA producer oCeLoT is the second artist. If you know what oCeLoT style is all about then you will not get any big surprise here. All the weirdo effects are here, the nice bass too and this time some happy style melodies. Don’t worry it’s not cheesy or whatever, not at all. It’s still crazy Psy in the Dark psy way, although it’s not dark at all (like all oCeLoT tracks IMO). Too bad the track is too typical oCeLoT. It’s like Aaron has found a formula for his tracks and he uses it again and again. If you’re listening to his stuff for the first time you’re gonna love it, but if you’ve heard many of his track you won’t find something new here. Cool track, but not something unique.

Penta. Hmm… I really like his tracks but…somehow I always think that something is missing from them. I don’t know what actually. This track is again a nice, crazy tune but again I think that something is missing. Nice bassline, fx all the way, no melodies, no climaxes, not much darkness again. Thank God there’s a great minute here from 5’-6’ with some really nice effects, some weirdo samples and a nice melody, but the rest of the track is kinda weak. I believe that just like the oCeLoT’s track this one is too typical Penta. Nice one but nothing more.

Is it me or India artists love dark psy style? Silent Horror is Indian and this is a track with a great title: ‘’Atheist’’, yeah! Ok, here we have a really heavy kick and a really furious bassline together with some dark pads. The first half ain’t something great. All that together with some typical fx. The second half is pretty much the same but with an extra simple spooky melody. Unfortunately the track never explodes and sounds incomplete. Nice track for Hard Psy lovers but nothing new.

New name again, Syntax Error. Take a bass, throw some fx, play with the filters a bit and voila! You have a track. So, it’s bad? No, not at all, but damn it, it’s again a typical Dark psy track nothing more. After the Derango,oCeLoT,Psykovsky etc. albums I’m waiting for something better. It would be a good track back in 2001 but nowadays we have listened to hundreds of tracks like that. Average.

Furious. Here is group that produce really interesting tracks. Weird, full of surprises and… furious. Paper Seed is one of them. Great work in fx, nice percussion, strange sounds that combined all together they create simple melodies and nice samples. But again there’s a problem. The kick is too light for this kind of Psy. Especially in the madness moments you almost can’t hear it. When I first listened to it I thought that there is no kick! Of course it’s just my opinion. Anyway, this one is good!

Terminator is Zolod, an artist who passed away recently. This track is strange… It has all the dark psy elements: fast basslines, madness, strange sounds panning left and right, but somehow it doesn’t sound like a dark track. Maybe the original was a morning tune before it gets this Dark remix. Anyway, this track gives me an image of a rainy forest. It’s not a forest Psy Sweden style track…more like a tropical feeling. Goa maybe. In this track you will listen some background melodies, some melancholic pads and Pasesense style fx. I guess it’s a combination of Dark Psy with Full On and Progressive. It’s a track great for any Psy listener but again not a great one. It lasts 11 minutes and for a track so long we need more variation. It would be good for a 6’ minutes track but for this length it ends boring. Good track with no variation.

Dejan is a French artist also known for The Many Faces project together with Jellyheadz. To be honest I never was a big fan of his style. I always found it a bit boring, but some of his tracks were good. The ‘’Dennis Kills The Dentist’’ from the last Trishula comp. was really good with many fuuny sounds and enough power, but this one is boooring. Same kick, same bass all the way for 7’40’’ minutes. Boring fx, no build ups, no madness, nothing. Now I realise why he named this track Kikabassa, it’s just the kick and the bass. I guess Dejan was really sleepy when he wrote this track… B-o-r-i-n-g!

Encephalopaticys means brain disease but you won’t get any from this track. Again a track that trying to sounds crazy or dark but it lacks of ideas and true power or madness. Thank God there’s a nice melody line in the last minute but you have to wait nine whole minutes to get it. It’s not bad but just like Terminator for a 10’ minutes track is boring. Average.

DarkPsy save me! I don’t know what you think for this guy, but I love his tracks. Analog Experience is J.Molinari from Portugal aka DarkPsy in a track remixed by himself. It seems that this guy has no imagination at all when he must choose his project & tracks names, but he makes his brain works when it comes to music writing. Dark furious bassline and a nice kick for the start. Scary pads and suddenly some kick ass melodies not dark at all! Then again more dark fx madness and again some almost morning melodies! What the hell is happening?! Maybe the original was a melodic tune and the remix made it darker. This one is awesome! The perfect combination of Dark crazy Psy with melodic Hard Full On. Yep, he made it again!

Overall it’s an average combilation with many boring and cliché tracks. If you looking for some really intelligent dark cd check out the previous Vertigo release the amazing Psykovsky album or search elsewhere for some other dark compilation. The tracklist looks great but the music is average.

+ :

-The surprise tracks 1 & 10

-Great mastering

-Strange artwork(?)

- :

-Cliché tracks

-The big names dissapointed me

6/10

Fav: 1,6,10(!)

BTW why acisport and no acidas?

I think it's a very nice compilation. Nothing groundbreaking but if you like the style will do more than the trick. Standout tracks for me so far are the Silent Horror and Furious ones.

i really liked the penta track, "looking great" haha... what a name... and silent horror delivers a minimal creepy track. Terminator works wonders with a stunning track it's clearly not dark but i see it like his last piece of work for what it is... what he was doing best, full power morning blasters. Overall i honestly feels this one of the strongest compilations vertigo released with the exception of yes or no, which i never got... so i don't know. and i agree Planetary point is g'un as well

• 7 years later...