A huge CD collection seems less and less appealing

Cinos

:lol:

imagine you're house is  burning down, will you be able to save all 5000 zillion CD's while your leg is on fire?

or 1 HD!  :)

489315[/snapback]

Well... I will probably open my windown, throw all my cds out and hope some survive the deadly fall... :D

I always put all my CDs onto my mp3 player. But I still usually listen to the CDs when Im at home. Its nicer to browse through a physical collection when choosing what to listen to than looking at file names IMO. I use the mp3 player for when Im out an about everyday and when Im at work. Its useful but I dont think I would choose it over CDs. All my CDs in my livingroom don't look cumbersome, they are part of the decor. Like all those books (although I never read them).

I've often thought of burning my entire CD collection to blank CDRs and selling the originals as they'd probably fetch around a grand but I don't know... something keeps me from doing it. I think maybe I like looking at the inlays and artwork as they help draw you into the 'concept' of the album.

You're aware that if you sell your cds you'd be obliged to delete all the digital copies, right? Unless you do that it's just as illegal as downloading the tunes on p2p etc. Think about it.

489278[/snapback]

I just read about this from a paper and it said it's not illegal to keep copies after you sold your CDs... at least this is how it's in Finland.

Guest djnemo

I'm thinking of transferring everything to a special hard-drive and sell the cumbersome CDs.

I mean, if I can get good quality Mp3s... having them all on disk would be so... HANDY! The idea is intriguing.

Imagine... hundreds of CDs of a little drive.  :blink:  :)

488926[/snapback]

Well, just make sure that you have a backup of all of your stuff. I have a Raid 5 system with 2 spare drives, and that still isnt safe enough :(

Guest The Journey Man Project

I have used a top little program to rip my cd's to iPod over hear, all are 320ks but even so, cd's sound much better for one... it might be psychological, but I think there is more to it... also, there is nothing nicer than walking into your room and seeing all your babies stacked up together... and I still love the take the cd and put in a cd player feeling, even in my car which has an mp3 cd player, I prefer the original cd... nd yeah it is very illegal to own the mp3's without the original cd, you would still be, under law, a pirate.

i might be alone in this, but i've been thinking of deleting about 80 albums i have ripped from friends at 320kb/s to make room on my hard drive for other things, without burning them to cd-r first.

i have got to a stage where i dont listen to anything on mp3, only original cd or cd-r's burnt from AIFF or WAV at 1x speeds.

you probably think i'm a loony audiophile, but to me the whole idea of compressed music has become totally anathema. apart from how poor any mp3 sounds on a good hifi, the idea of artists going to great lengths to produce a well recoreded and minimally compressed album only to have me though away 80% of the info on the disk seems almost disrespectfull. and if i'm going to sit down for 70 minutes to listen to and album that probably took a good year to make, i dont concider it undue effort to spend 15 seconds putting the cd into the player or the vinyl on the deck. thats just how i see it.

maybe you cant hear the difference between 320kb/s mp3 and the original on your hifi/headphones, thats fine by me, but i think its good if some of us make a stand againt lossy compression formats. if all music was bought and stored in compressed formats, and then you make a compressed copy of your mates compressed copy, you can imagine what quality most music will end up being listened to at. and then there will be little incentive for artists like shpongle or IM to take the efford to make well recorded music in hte first place.

if youre in any doubt that youre throwing away musical content that was carefully and deliberately put there by the artist, please do yourself a favour and go to a decent hifi shop with a copy of 'tales of the inexpressible' and see what you are missing.

cheers

b.

For me - my psycd collection, albeit small like around 30 cds, means

more to me than all the music ive got on my hard drive. :)

If that got wiped then id be pissed off but Id be gutted if I lost my CDs,

even though they are oldies (goa & pre 2004), coz they remind me of the

times that I bought them, and when I listen to them I get reminded of WHY

I bought them. Its strange, but I think maybe it has something

to do with ownership. I mean, I cant claim ownership over downloads

(even though I pay for the connection) because I dont have anything

to show for it, tangibly- ergo CDs mean more to me than my downbloads.

Now I just have to buy more CDs...

i might be alone in this, but i've been thinking of deleting about 80 albums i have ripped from friends at 320kb/s to make room on my hard drive for other things, without burning them to cd-r first.

i have got to a stage where i dont listen to anything on mp3, only original cd or cd-r's burnt from AIFF or WAV at 1x speeds.

you probably think i'm a loony audiophile, but to me the whole idea of compressed music has become totally anathema. apart from how poor any mp3 sounds on a good hifi, the idea of artists going to great lengths to produce a well recoreded and minimally compressed album only to have me though away 80% of the info on the disk seems almost disrespectfull. and if i'm going to sit down for 70 minutes to listen to and album that probably took a good year to make, i dont concider it undue effort to spend 15 seconds putting the cd into the player or the vinyl on the deck. thats just how i see it.

maybe you cant hear the difference between 320kb/s mp3 and the original on your hifi/headphones, thats fine by me, but i think its good if some of us make a stand againt lossy compression formats. if all music was bought and stored in compressed formats, and then you make a compressed copy of your mates compressed copy, you can imagine what quality most music will end up being listened to at. and then there will be little incentive for artists like shpongle or IM to take the efford to make well recorded music in hte first place.

if youre in any doubt that youre throwing away musical content that was carefully and deliberately put there by the artist, please do yourself a favour and go to a decent hifi shop with a copy of 'tales of the inexpressible' and see what you are missing.

cheers

b.

490674[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more.

I just read about this from a paper and it said it's not illegal to keep copies after you sold your CDs... at least this is how it's in Finland.

490532[/snapback]

When I think about it that may be so, but in reality it's no better to do it in this way than to go downloading. The artists lose either way.

When I think about it that may be so, but in reality it's no better to do it in this way than to go downloading. The artists lose either way.

490706[/snapback]

The artists aren't really losing as the original owner who's copying the music has already paid for the music.

The artists aren't really losing as the original owner who's copying the music has already paid for the music.

490708[/snapback]

Yeah, but what about the person who buys the used cd? Unless he could get it used he would've bought a new copy, either way it's two persons who get the same material, while the artist only gets paid for one item.

Well, the thing is... Imagine a total computer crash or something... And you lost everything at once... that wouldn't happen with cds :)

489036[/snapback]

Yes this happened to me a few weeks ago! Luckily I still had them, but I had to re-rip almost my whole collection. Double & triple back-ups my friend.

I think I'd be sad if there were just empy shelves where my current collection sits. I'd enjoy still having the music but it'd just be a ghost of what used to be there. <sniff> :D I'd probably start buying again. Anyway I like to have the actual disc & have it in digital format too.

Yeah, but what about the person who buys the used cd? Unless he could get it used he would've bought a new copy, either way it's two persons who get the same material, while the artist only gets paid for one item.

490720[/snapback]

Yeah, I've heard that some of the big recording labels if they could have it their way would ban second hand music sales. They don't like places like ebay etc.. They want you to only send money their way. No other trade allowed. Imagine if when you sold a car that the automaker demanded a fee so that the person who buys your car isn't driving around scot free!

Supposedly new technology is being devised that is encoded onto a disc that registers the CD to you. Either when you buy it or when you rip it. So when you buy a disc you're stuck with it. Who would want to risk selling to someone. Just wait until this happens if you want to see all time lows in record sales.

Anti free-market forces unite!

Selling your car is different, because you can't take a copy of it before you sell it, can you? I can't see second hand selling being banned, but I can see the concern, as it's quite easy for people to sell their cds once they've copied it to their harddrive. What I'm trying to say is, that whether you sell your copied cds or download the tunes via p2p is pretty much the same. If you like the music, you shouldn't sell the cd, period.

Selling your car is different, because you can't take a copy of it before you sell it, can you? I can't see second hand selling being banned, but I can see the concern, as it's quite easy for people to sell their cds once they've copied it to their harddrive. What I'm trying to say is, that whether you sell your copied cds or download the tunes via p2p is pretty much the same. If you like the music, you shouldn't sell the cd, period.

490774[/snapback]

Yeah but you can sell a car without fear of being sued for what the next owner does with it.

If this mp3 watermarking thing goes into effect they won't just be killing music downloads they'll be killing half the music market too. You'd be scared to loan someone a CD for fear they'd rip it & pass it around. No one would dare sell a CD bought after Jan '07 for example. It sounds idiotic & I doubt it will actually be implemented.

I heard about it from this site www.lazlow.com go to audio archives article titled "mps tracked to you" Feb 22.