Thinking of getting Reason 3.0

Hey,

Just wondering what your experiences of Reason 3 have been. I just learned quite a lot by myself and now can create tracks fast (demo timeout is awful!). Any resources or tutorials that you recommend? Refills? Any information is appreciated.

I dont use Reason :rolleyes: , but one day i got reason 3 demo just like you ( and yes, that 20 minutes timning is awful!) i had to do things pretty fast

Anyways, this topic i made asking for help on Reason is with amazing tutorials that xphiaz did, wich was a tremendous help

Maybe you would like to check that out :)

Reason topic

After some deliberation I finally decided to buy the program. Thanks for the link.

Perhaps when I am good enough I shall make my own Reason tutorials. :)

448930[/snapback]

Sure you are Welcome Shaft :)

By the way, what sequencer are you using now?

By the way, what sequencer are you using now?

448933[/snapback]

Reason. :lol:

I was using Garageband 2.0 - but I think Reason has enough functionality for me to use it as a sequencer, thus I won't be rewiring it into any other program.

Join the club, Shaft.  :)  I just bought it myself, along with a new computer and sound card, and am going to hook my synth up to it and start working tonight (if all else goes well).

448988[/snapback]

Good for you man, hope to hear some tunes from you soon! :)

well seems like a small reason community is growing here :)

hope you enjoy it as much as i do,shaft! ;)

449451[/snapback]

Hehe, yeah. :)

Good for you man, hope to hear some tunes from you soon! :)

Hehe, yeah. :)

449861[/snapback]

Reason's great but seriously guys, when it comes to mixing your tracks do it via Rewire inside SX or Logic or something... you'll be amazed by the difference in quality (at least, with the version of 2.5 that I have). The Reason mixer is the weak link... it really clouds up the sound. One of the tracks on Free Range was written totally in Reason and I mixed it in SX; it really brought the track to life.

Reason's great but seriously guys, when it comes to mixing your tracks do it via Rewire inside SX or Logic or something... you'll be amazed by the difference in quality (at least, with the version of 2.5 that I have).  The Reason mixer is the weak link... it really clouds up the sound.  One of the tracks on Free Range was written totally in Reason and I mixed it in SX; it really brought the track to life.

451553[/snapback]

i'm not sure about the final output, but reason 3 has an actual mastering module or whatever is called and a number of improvements on that area... while on the subject let's not forget Bodhissatva13:20 and his 3l337 reason skills. pure debauchery with that application... B)

Reason's great but seriously guys, when it comes to mixing your tracks do it via Rewire inside SX or Logic or something... you'll be amazed by the difference in quality (at least, with the version of 2.5 that I have).  The Reason mixer is the weak link... it really clouds up the sound.  One of the tracks on Free Range was written totally in Reason and I mixed it in SX; it really brought the track to life.

451553[/snapback]

I totally agree, I used to work in reason, but the sound was not good enough, it's kinda muddy, or as you said "it really clouds up the sound". And because I couldn't be arsed in doing the whole rewireing thing, I just moved on to another sequencer.

My sister is doing sound engineering at the moment. She is using Protools mostly. she says it is the dogs bollocks.

452103[/snapback]

Yeah, that seems to be the industry standard in many ways, I worked a lot with it last year when I went to sound engineering myself, and it's pretty neat. My biggest problem with it was actually the Mac layout (since it's on mac, duh). I never tried it as a midi sequencer though, only did some mixing of tracks and sound for movies.

451553[/snapback]

Reason 3.0 introduces the M-Class Mastering Suite... Besides I couldn't give a crap about little eqs and stuff like that, all I can care about it is level and panning. I just feel that it is the MUSIC that I produce that I have to concentrate on, not all the little 'limiters' and 'eqs' and 'compressors' and stuff...

Besides if I need my tracks mastered there's always mastering engineers to make my tracks sound better, right?

Reason 3.0 introduces the M-Class Mastering Suite... Besides I couldn't give a crap about little eqs and stuff like that, all I can care about it is level and panning. I just feel that it is the MUSIC that I produce that I have to concentrate on, not all the little 'limiters' and 'eqs' and 'compressors' and stuff...

Besides if I need my tracks mastered there's always mastering engineers to make my tracks sound better, right?

452145[/snapback]

I'm not talking about mastering, I'm talking about the basic mix. The M-Class EQs etc. won't stop the Reason Mixer from being optimised for CPU usage rather than quality. If you keep all your faders and mixer EQs on the default settings, you'll get a clear mix (I did some really geeky tests to prove this; do a search on Psy-Forum and you'll find them). As soon as you make Reason have to attenuate or boost any levels or frequencies, by changing the fader positions or channel EQ settings, you start to lose clarity. But then, if you don't use EQ at all, clarity isn't on the agenda anyway! Rewiring instruments directly into another sequencing app (bypassing the mixer) brings back the clarity.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic app for composition - so immediate and flexible - and the plugins and instruments are all great, but I wouldn't mix for release in it.

[EDIT] actually, it's perfectly possible to mix for release in Reason. It'll just sound miles better if you don't! :D

Okay fair enough. Though tiny little differences in clarity don't really mean much to me, I'm just a composer really. :)

Also it's good that it's optimised for CPU usage, because I only have a 1.25Ghz Mac Mini :D

Okay fair enough. Though tiny little differences in clarity don't really mean much to me, I'm just a composer really. :)

Also it's good that it's optimised for CPU usage, because I only have a 1.25Ghz Mac Mini  :D

452284[/snapback]

It's not a tiny difference. When the album is finished I'll post a before and after. I'll also post the screenshots I took when I finally maxxed out SX during the mix, it's quite impressive in a sad kind of way!

And what about the new Line Mixer 6:2 propellerhead implemented in the 3.0 version?

I have the feeling that the overall sound quality has been improved in this latest version, but I never tried anything else than Reason so I can't be sure.

It would be intersting to have your opinion about Reason 3.