Audiophile Recording

Bvan

howzit.

i'm looking for some recomendations for some good albums(musically speaking) that are also extremely well recorded.

i'm kinda new to psy trance, well not really but i got a pretty small collection, so any old classics as well as new stuff will do.

of the stuff i got i recon classical mushroom and the shpongle albums are impressive.

as my hifi gets better i'm finding myself gravitating to the better recorded stuff which i dont know is a good thing? its a bit of a double-edged sword having a highly revealing system as it makes great albums like talpa's 'art of being non' get less play :(

cheers for any input

bevan

I know what you mean about some recordings often sounding poor, unfortunately it's one of the drawbacks of owning a high-resolution system. Still, can't complain too much as the well-produced stuff can leave one's hairs standing on end.

Anyway, I find Ott's Blumenkraft a thing of incredible beauty on a decent system, it's meticulously engineered, same goes for his Hallucinogen in Dub remix album (both on Twisted Records).

The Secret of the Thirteen Crystal Skulls and The Mystery of the Thirteen Crystal Skulls (both on Tipworld) are also extremly well produced. Prometheus' Robot-o-chan is another, also Youger Brother's Flock of Bleeps (both on Twisted Records).

Juno Reactor's Labyrinth also deserves a shout, indeed it sounds magical through the right setup, and Shulman's In Search Of A Meaningful Moment is breathtaking and features stunning dynamics and transients, really can't recommend it highly enough.

All these albums have a very clean, crisp sound and excel at imaging and sonic-seperation.

Almost everything released by ambient freaks , such as Robert Rich, Steve Roach , Vidna Obmana , Pete Namlook , etc

especially their after 1990

439979[/snapback]

Agreed, a lot of ambient stuff is scrupulously engineered.

I always find Atmos music to be extremely well produced, especially the latest album 2nd Brigade, but also Headcleaner is good production wise. Also everything from Digital Structures, foremost Son Kite and Ticon, sounds very good.

But, Im not an audiophile, so thats just my uninformed pesonal opinion.

Juno Reactor

Koxbox / Psychopod

Hallucinogen / Shpongle / Younger Brother

Voice of Cod / OOOD

all of their albums are special, both musically and technically :)

nice!

actually i have a lot of those already

(blumenkraft, lone deranger, headcleaner,koxbox, juno reactor, son kite)

but that is about half of my collection. all very good music that, which i never bought for the sound quality at all. (though i must confess 'lone deranger' is one album i've never been able to get into :o )

i also rate shiva chandra audio(and music) wise. and haldolium which i'm listning to now :)

i'm noticing that most of these are of the minimal/progressive bent? maybe i just dont buy enough of the full-on stuff, or maybe simpler the arangements the less tendency there is to compress the life out of it?

off the topic, but do you know if there are any threads where members discuss what other (non electronic) music they are into? i'm going through one of those expanding-my-music-horizons type of phase, and the libraries here in denmark where i'm visiting at the moment have more music than hmv and virgin in tottenham court rd, combined. i kid you not. their psy trance catalogue is a bit underdeveloped admitedly, but at least they have some.

cheers all.

b.

A disc containing sound-bytes from movies and TV programmes.

440350[/snapback]

Not exactly correct is it? The cd/dvd contains audio that is meant to be used in movies and tv. At least the ones I've used have been 100% original.