Classics in their own right?

smith

What is your definition of a classic?

:unsure:

Ive many dudes describe new music to me and usually end up with the phrase "its a classic!"

Ive heard this heaps in the psytrance scene, and it got me wondering, well. what is a classic? Why do we use the term?

Isn't classic something which should relate to the period (ie - bachoven & Mozovsky et al?)

smith

What is your definition of a classic?

:unsure:

Ive many dudes describe new music to me and usually end up with the phrase "its a classic!"

Ive heard this heaps in the psytrance scene, and it got me wondering, well. what is a classic? Why do we use the term?

Isn't classic something which should relate to the period (ie - bachoven & Mozovsky et al?)

smith

439688[/snapback]

I guess its a tune that doesnt get old. No matter how many times you hear it.

LSD - Hallucinogen = Classic.

Shpongle - ...and the day turned into night = classic.

Skazi - Accelera = not classic.

I guess its a tune that doesnt get old. No matter how many times you hear it.

LSD - Hallucinogen = Classic.

Shpongle - ...and the day turned into night = classic.

Skazi - Accelera = not classic.

439693[/snapback]

u tws hore!

classic for me is some old release that most people in the genre think about as very good, brilliant, genre-defining, landmark etc., eg. Cosmosis - Cosmology, Hallucinogen - Twisted, Doof - Let's Turn On, GNOTR - Rock Bitch Mafia, X-Dream - Radio, 1st Shpongle and so on...

calling a new release "classic" is just ignorant IMO :)

The psychedelic trance market moves roughly along the same speed as the personal computers maket. Which is too say, damn fast. Taking into acount the number of releases, monthly a lot of music is easily diggested and and thrown away, if there isn't something to stick in it your memory for a while. This is what is reffered to as a classic, you might be hearing it three months after you have purchased a CD... in some cases classics are more often than not goa. An 'ancient' sub-genre credited for starting the psychedelic trance wave, only crazy colectors listen listen to these days more often than not for their emotional value. Some of these are true gems... some aren't...

Thanks for the replies :P

So, a classic can be defined as either goa trance, early psytrance, a track that is memorable or a track that gets spun more often than not at parties after its release?

Is that right, maybe ive got it confused? :unsure:

Also can classic not refer to an album which sold many many copies regardless of its release date? Does success instantly lable status?

smith

"Classic" is a cultural term. Basically it means albums and tracks that people generally agree are important and should be remembered. It tends to be very inaccurate since it's largely based on personal bias, but that's how art works. Not all the best stuff will rise to the top, nor will all the worst stuff sink to the bottom.

Classic is something that has lasted. If years on you still love something then YOU should consider it a classic. If its still widely popular years on then its undoubtedly classic. Your opinion doesn't come into it.

Mozart, classic yes? Elvis, classic yes? But who the fuck do you know who still listens to the spice girls? They sold a lot of records but their fans soon forgot them.

In psytrance I still listen to Infected Mushroom - Classical Mushroom, Technossomy - Synthetic Flesh, Jaia - Blue Energy a lot so in my opinion these are classic. People are always talking about Hallucinogen, pleiadians and Shpongle so I reckon if they're still popular they are the closest to classic we have. Time will tell.

I think an album needs time to be classic, who knows how it'll age. There is loads of stuff I used to love but now think is ordinary. I here "Is this a classic in the making" or similiar phrases. Only time will tell :)

Mozart, classic yes? Elvis, classic yes? But who the fuck do you know who still listens to the spice girls? They sold a lot of records but their fans soon forgot them.

440750[/snapback]

Very true mate. However some of the 'sheilas' in my area would disagree with you there. Music travels very slow to my part o' the world.

In psytrance I still listen to Infected Mushroom - Classical Mushroom, Technossomy - Synthetic Flesh, Jaia - Blue Energy a lot so in my opinion these are classic. People are always talking about Hallucinogen, pleiadians and Shpongle so I reckon if they're still popular they are the closest to classic we have. Time will tell.

I think an album needs time to be classic, who knows how it'll age. There is loads of stuff I used to love but now think is ordinary. I here "Is this a classic in the making" or similiar phrases. Only time will tell :)

440750[/snapback]

Yeah, I guess thats also my interpretation of what a classic is :)

Im new to psymusic but im working from goatrance upwards and its amazing how quickly new sounding stuff quickly becomes old...

Smith

Guest Cosmogenesis

Originally, the term "classic" means something like "all time" or "everytime"; for a music track, it means that we can listen it at every time of the Time, in the past, today, in the future, if someone understands what it means :blink:

But now, "classic" means something like "very well-know", for example "a hit" in the anthology of a music genre. Understood? :blink::blink:

Guest The Journey Man Project

Classic for me is something was extremely musical or else really shaped the future of music for example:

FLA - most their music is classic to me, pushing the boundaries of psychedellic electronic for miles, much better than rip offs such as Violet Vision (imo V.V are good but nothing new)

Astral Projection - Mahadeva really defines the true goa spirit for me and Powergen is just an awesome acid trance track...

SFX - Butterfly Trip is a classic becuase for me it is the ultimate of the deep reflective side of trance music, a very deep and emotional trip, still brings tears to my eyes

Elysium - Trancelestial Psychobabas is a great tribal type track, not to tribal but has some awesome melodic work and the sample from Hitchikers Guide is awesome!

BLT & Danni Makov (might be spelt wrong) - great progressive sounds and excellent live drumming

Etnoscope - ultimate classic tribal music for me but the true tribal classice is Sonic Fusion's Tribal Warrior, the live verions off Tantrance 8 is the best!!

Hallucinogen - Spiritual Antiseptic for me is his classical piece as it an absolute magical trip and a dancefloor smasher!!

most of those are classix, left out some but they are tracks/artists that to me stood out most for their time and for me define true goa spirit.