Reason2.5

...using Reason2.5 by itself, with a midi controller, some refills, Wav files....

The thing is right, ive been working my arse off trying to understand everything Reason can offer, and its seems to be quite a useful tool.

But everywhere ive looked, i notice everyone uses Reason/2.5/3 with Cubase SX/3, is that because Cubase has a better sequencer, because you can "plug" in VST's? :huh:

Can someone shed some light here, cause i have cubase, and im thinking whether it will be worth getting around it and understanding it too :)

Thanks!

psy :ph34r:

Reason is a great and very stable modular system,i've been working only with it for about 3 years and i only rewire with cubase to make a better mix and record audio.(pm if you want to listen to some of my stuff).but i recommend you to get version 3 , the MClass mastering suite helps a lot,along with the combinator.

the sound quality isn't great but you can break those barriers with some tricks.read the manual and try to get tutorials online and stuff.

my advice is...try both of them and stick to the one you're more confortable ;)

Reason is a great and very stable modular system,i've been working only with it for about 3 years and i only rewire with cubase to make a better mix and record audio.(pm if you want to listen to some of my stuff).but i recommend you to get version 3 , the MClass mastering suite helps a lot,along with the combinator.

431110[/snapback]

What do you mean by record audio? And when you mean make a better mix? :huh::)

sorry im not that literate when it comes to pro audio, still an amatuer :ph34r:

What do you mean by record audio? And when you mean make a better mix? :huh:  :)

sorry im not that literate when it comes to pro audio, still an amatuer :ph34r:

431131[/snapback]

no problem bro,i'm an amateur too,so dont trust my words 100% :P

with reason you can't record audio directly from an external source,like drums,guitars,vocals...

to make a better mix : make the track elements more "equal"...like increasing/decreasing volumes,fixing equalization,etc once the track is finished...preparing it for a possible mastering...dunno if i explained myself well :ph34r:

no problem bro,i'm an amateur too,so dont trust my words 100% :P

with reason you can't record audio directly from an external source,like drums,guitars,vocals...

to make a better mix : make the track elements more "equal"...like increasing/decreasing volumes,fixing equalization,etc once the track is finished...preparing it for a possible mastering...dunno if i explained myself well  :ph34r:

431141[/snapback]

ummmm.....i sorta understand :huh:

So you cant record external instruments/etc from Reason, but you can do it from cubase? :huh:

So you would use cubase to "sort of master" it when the track is done?

431146[/snapback]

yes,since cubase has better sound quality its more precise to that task

(this advice is only valuable if you plan to work mostly with reason,not having it rewired with cubase all the time)

anyways i hope i helped,and good luck for future productions ;)

I've made some tracks in reason 2.5 alone, that has gotten released, so I guess it's possible to do some decent stuff there. But Looking back at it now, it's strange to see how I managed to work without vsts. I do miss the subtractor though :rolleyes:

I've made some tracks in reason 2.5 alone, that has gotten released, so I guess it's possible to do some decent stuff there. But Looking back at it now, it's strange to see how I managed to work without vsts. I do miss the subtractor though :rolleyes:

431188[/snapback]

Bottom line. If I were to get into one of them, would reason 3 be better? or cubase? (which version is the best one?) ?

Does anyone know where you can get a decent book / manual (to buy online) that shows you how to make electronic music (teaching you how to make bass / kick / synth samples etc. with reason 3.0 (or cubase) ?

431187[/snapback]

are you serious :blink: ?!

i doubt there are some "easy" and direct to the business books <_<

all prolly full of unnecessary tech terms and too much of a theory, to frighten everyone away :).

Well, in my experience, reason 3.0 is better, but it also uses more resources. Reason 2.5 is very good as well, but doesnt have all the features.

You cant compare Reason to Cubase imo, you can use them together to get something else out of the both programs, though :)

I think that Reason is a good program to learn from as well :)

Bottom line. If I were to get into one of them, would reason 3 be better? or cubase? (which version is the best one?) ?

431189[/snapback]

you can get an easy breezy Reason manual in any news agent, with resonable selection, the publisher is Computer Focus Guide "the essential guide for reason" i think they had other ones and it's a mag... mine was 7 quid... something basic to get you going...

Well, in my experience, reason 3.0 is better, but it also uses more resources. Reason 2.5 is very good as well, but doesnt have all the features.

You cant compare Reason to Cubase imo, you can use them together to get something else out of the both programs, though :)

I think that Reason is a good program to learn from as well :)

431193[/snapback]

So i can stay on Reason2.5 (the only thing i wish Reason2.5 has is the mastering tool, like in 3), use Cubase to sorta master the track once done...

i think i feel really comfy on Reason, been reading books, tutorials, exercises, etc for months.

ill give it a chance, thx again people! :)

431189[/snapback]

I'd got for a prog that supports vst in the end, be it cubase/FLS/renoise/whatever. It gives you more freedom IMHO.

Imo, there is no easier sequencer then Logic Platinium 5....because it acepts vst and its pratical like no other program

I could never say that learning from reson is the best way to start....what about all the conection that has to be made? That very simple demand is hard for someone that never tryed something else before... the thing about reason, that it was made to atract the experience eletronic producer. A kind of guy who knows about conecting hardwares throu a rack and all. What i liked more about reason, was creating leads on the subtractor....there were others simple task i could never imagine how it does on reason thou