I had a lecture about Goa/Psy today

Guest Elysium

I like to go off-topic and ask the folk's here if they think people become better musicans by studying music or better sound engineers by studying sound engineering?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played Lunar Civilization by Crop Circles. I disagree with the Pleiadians remark. IMHO Simon Posford has the best sound skills.

The remark was done by one friend that doesn't listen much to Psy Trance and it was a technical remark only. It was about the richness of sound and the well balanced mix.

427345[/snapback]

i am not talking about the sound.

every artist has its own unique sound.pleiadians have that totally outer galactic space sound and hallu has a more earthly subterranean sound.

you can't make comparisons.

BUT in terms of compositional skill and technique it is fairly objective to compare.

pleiadians IMHO are for psy like beethoven for classical.they are true composers.

everything is constantly changing:basslines,rythms,percussion,melodies.they utilise their equipment to the edge.

hallu has huge detail in his sonic manipulations (among other things).

i still have one question since you don't clarify some things...

did you judge on the mix,on the mastering,on the sequences,on the sounds and the presets...what?

this is crucial in judging whether your colleagues were correct in their statement (what you wrote about foolishness) or not...

427354[/snapback]

when i say you i mean your colleagues.and of course they judjed since they told you about the silly music you played.

so this statement was based upon what?

I like to go off-topic and ask the folk's here if they think people become better musicans by studying music or better sound engineers by studying sound engineering?

427366[/snapback]

Definetely not. If you are a musician and you think about studying sound engineering i don't think it's a good idea. Please don't go study and leave me more job opportunities.

427366[/snapback]

better sound engineers I think...But it can atleast be cost effective to be able to master your music yourself...right? I am no musician so just guessin here :lol:

when i say you i mean your colleagues.and of course they judjed since they told you about the silly music you played.

so this statement was based upon what?

427374[/snapback]

They didn't like the sound of what i played. Like the old Electric Universe/Astral Projection/MFG tracks. They sounded too muddy and immature.

They didn't like the sound of what i played. Like the old Electric Universe/Astral Projection/MFG tracks. They sounded too muddy and immature.

427381[/snapback]

ok. <_<

if you don't listen to a certain genre how can you judge on a sound?on muddiness it is objective but on immaturity i don't get it... :blink:

ok.  <_<

if you don't listen to a certain genre how can you judge on a sound?on muddiness it is objective but on immaturity i don't get it... :blink:

427387[/snapback]

Well you know people, sometime they say what's on their mind. You can't shut people's mouth right? Well on Isratrance they do. It's not being practiced where i study. Everybody can say what they think. And since i am inside a learning process and everybody brings the sounds that he likes we all learn from each other. Yesterday a friend played didgeridoo recordings and that was awesome. I didn't hear much didgeridoo recordings in my life.

Guest Elysium

better sound engineers I think...But it can atleast be cost effective to be able to master your music yourself...right? I am no musician so just guessin here  :lol:

427377[/snapback]

But does it really make you a better sound engineer to study it? I am not saying that it's wrong to study it. I am just thinking that if you have the ears for it does it then really matter (except for that fine piece of paper = diploma) ??

Guest Elysium

Definetely not. If you are a musician and you think about studying sound engineering i don't think it's a good idea. Please don't go study and leave me more job opportunities.

427376[/snapback]

That's why I wrote musicians studying music and sound engineers studying sound engineering ;)

Well you know people, sometime they say what's on their mind. You can't shut people's mouth right? Well on Isratrance they do. It's not being practiced where i study. Everybody can say what they think. And since i am inside a learning process and everybody brings the sounds that he likes we all learn from each other. Yesterday a friend played didgeridoo recordings and that was awesome. I didn't hear much didgeridoo recordings in my life.

427394[/snapback]

this is obvious.the thing is that sometimes what you say freely is considered incorrect (at least).if they think that the sound was immature and they are linked more or less to rock, the least i can say is that it was clumsy on their behalf.

i hope you didn't mean that the composition was immature cause then i am mistaken.

but on the sound ? :blink:

this is obvious.the thing is that sometimes what you say freely is considered incorrect (at least).if they think that the sound was immature and thay are linked more or less to rock, the least i can say is that it was clumsy on their behalf.

i hope you didn't mean that the composition was immature cause then i am mistaken.

but on the sound ? :blink:

427407[/snapback]

The sound was immature. The sound is much better today. I am not speaking about composition or about music.

http://www.discogs.com/release/357154

We played the Electric Universe tune. It's indeed sounds amatuerish and anachronistic today. The sound of it that is.

But does it really make you a better sound engineer to study it?  I am not saying that it's wrong to study it.  I am just thinking that if you have the ears for it does it then really matter (except for that fine piece of paper = diploma) ??

427397[/snapback]

Well... If I had the ears for it I still would need somebody to tell me wich microphones to use when recording and how to rig them, distances to instrumens. I mean ...maybe I could figure it out by myself but I´d think it speed it up quite a bit to learn stuff like that. Im not saying that you need to do it. When talking about creative arts I dont think you must go to any school but it can help I think. Aslo the schools have quite good equipment..right?

Sorry....I think I just got little off topic with youre original question anyway. :)

The sound was immature. The sound is much better today. I am not speaking about composition or about music.

We played the Electric Universe tune. It's indeed sounds amatuerish and anachronistic today. The sound of it that is.

427420[/snapback]

it sounds to me a bit awkward but however the point is to compare the sound you listen to with the 'sounds' that were released that age.

if you ask me tangerine dream sound a bitanachronistic and...yes...immature.

but that doesn't suggest anything...

you must judje based on the facts of the certain period B)

427420[/snapback]

it sounds to me a bit awkward[about people who have never heard a psy-trance sound and generally electronic only based in rock listenings for god's sake,to judge (on the sound i mean ;not the composition)] but however the point is to compare the sound you listen to with the 'sounds' that were released that age.

if you ask me tangerine dream sound a bitanachronistic and...yes...immature.

but that doesn't suggest anything...

you must judge based on the facts of the certain period B)

427420[/snapback]

i agree it does... props on 'anachronistic' (school is paying itself already :rolleyes: )

but people here think it's tip of the top and anything after 1997 is not worth listening. I think the fact some people had their 'prime' at that time and the fact they remember music from then as the old days, clouds their judgements a lot...

i will always have a soft spot for say... art of trance, but i mean, i know there's better stuff today and most of it sounds downright cheesy

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

427366[/snapback]

The best musicians in electronic music for me are those who learned how play at least one instrument. Dj's & sound engineer generally don't reach their level skills in global composition & creativity.

example of dj: Laurent Garnier (3-4 good tracks no more) but vey good dj.

example of sound engineer:Alien Project (when he doesn't team up with Astrix, & results solo his tunes becomes basic & simple).

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

Laurent Garnier's sound rocks. The man has golden ears indeed.

427489[/snapback]

What you says is funny coz he got nearly deaf coz of his numerous dj prestations with heavy soundsystems. One day he realized that & was forced to go to the O.R.L, he made ears reeducation for recovering a decent hearing abilities. He told he was forced to make a break djing for this, & took the opportunity for cooking one of his album (don't remember exactly which period it was). Since then, he told he recovered nearly all his hearing faculties :) .

What you says is funny coz he got nearly deaf coz of his numerous dj prestations with heavy soundsystems. One day he realized that & was forced to go to the O.R.L, he made ears reeducation for recovering a decent hearing abilities. He told he was forced to make a break djing for this, & took the opportunity for cooking one of his album (don't remember exactly which period it was). Since then, he told he recovered nearly all  his hearing faculties  :) .

427499[/snapback]

That's interesting. I am losing my hearing as well. But only on the left side.

About this whole Posford issue:

I started to listen to Psytrance in 94/95, I owned the Twisted album, i liked it, but not more or less than other albums at the time, such as Etnicas Alien Protein, or early AP, or Prana, or Early X-Dream, MWNN. To me he was just another Goaartist, not bad at all, but nothing special, and I remember listening to Lone Deranger in the Record store, but not buying it cause I didnt like it. Then when Shpongle first came out I also liked it, bought it, listened to it some, forgot about it, and then around 2000 I started hanging out on the Old Psynews and other Internet forums.

Having been cut off from the public opinion about artists and just going by own tastes, I was totally amazed by all that Posford mania going on. I remember thinking to myself "Why is everyone so crazy about Shpongle and Hallucinogen, but not about Etnica "Trip Tonite" or Prana or Dimension 5?"  What does Posford have that others do not have? It seemed like some completely random Boyband Groupie crazyness going on. I always liked what he does, some things more than others, but it never amazed me at all, to me his work has alwys been "good-but-not-great".

And I also noticed that he keeps doing the same tricks over and over, and it always sounds so artificial and plastic. To all you posford maniacs, please listen to Kino Oko "Lost Entertainment" and listen how all the effects and tricks sound so much more alive and interesting. I have no ideas how music is made technically, but Kino Oko sounds a million miles ahead, IMHO at least. But, knowing the litlle man-whore groupies that you are, your preconceptions wont let you listen to it from a neutral standpoint anyways.

426995[/snapback]

A

Fuckin

Men