03. 07’46” Listen

04. 07’30” Infinity

05. 07’23” Low Disk Space

06. 07’03” Shaman Pharmaceuticals

07. 07’31” Reverse Trip

08. 06’47” Slide Remix

09. 07’58” 8 Legged Taco

Review:

Tron: Trapped inside an electronic arena, where love, and escape, does not compute…

Existence is the debut album from Mexican producer Patricio Tron… This guy impressed me with his uplifting track on the Build Your Own Reactor compilation released by Liquid Records in 2005 – and I’ve been looking forward to this album ever since… Musically Mexico is really interesting right now, and following the Ecliptic album, this album has already gotten rave reviews… Let’s dig deeper…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Existence

“The quest is to be liberated from the negative, which is really our own will to nothingness. And once having said yes to the instant, the affirmation is contagious. It bursts into a chain of affirmations that knows no limit. To say yes to one instant is to say yes to all of existence!“ The opening track is also the title track… Build around samples from Waking Life this is a neo full-on feast for the ears… Constantly evolving, instantly uplifting and infinitely rewarding! Nothing short of amazing!

#02: This Is The Key Remix

After a brief intro that samples the Mission Impossible Theme we launch straight into another dancefloor bombshell… This is highly fragmented, melodic psytrance… It’s uplifting as hell and has more layers than I dare to count… It’s like an avalanche of different sounds morphing back and forth between styles… Countless samples are sprinkled all over this baby and there’s never a dull moment… Brilliant!

#03: Listen

“Ladies and gentlemen, can I please have your attention? I’ve just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story. I need all of you to stop what you’re doing and listen!” Fuck yes – listen to this steam engine of a track! This is the most energetic track thus far, with a rhythm section that goes straight into your legs… It’s simply impossible not to move to this one… Instantly funky and playful psytrance – spiked with a lethal dose of the finest Mexican mescaline… Twirling acid-lines, bubbling psychedelia and instant hands-in-the-air appeal… Kick-ass!

#04: Infinity

“We are multi-dimensional infinity. We’re not just a physical body. We’re everything that exists, but how much of everything that exists, the eternal consciousness […]” We continue the psychedelic rampage on this little beast of a track… Similar to old-school UK liquid psytrance really – though obviously with 2006 production techniques… I really dig the liquid hook-line and the bubbling, joyous synths which are all over the place… A very versatile and deeply trippy track!

#05: Low Disk Space

Half-way thru the album Tron ups the ante, looses the gloves and increases the pace… What we’re left with is a somewhat darker, grittier take on eclectic psytrance… It’s still full-on in structure, but not as easily accessible as some of the previous tracks… But hey, when it’s done this good, I don’t mind a radical change… A great track, but not as great as the previous four… But damn – the competition is fierce on this album…

#06: Shaman Pharmaceuticals

H O L Y P H U C K! This has got to be one of the coolest intros in a long time… If I hadn’t just heard it, I wouldn’t have believed it… All kinds of strange samples and FX are perfectly knitted together, creating a very original and highly unique sound… The psychedelic melting pot! Again we’re in darker realms and Tron is force-feeding us dodgy shaman pharmaceuticals… A lethal dose, mind you… It’s trip-tastic and I’m now officially hooked on these drukqs! Awesome track!

#07: Reverse Trip

“Thank God, I thought you were dead!” Get ready for another trip… And I mean trip - this is some seriously trippy stuff… Hard-hitting, relentless, multi-layered, danceable psytrance… Packed to the rim with digital drops, electronic farts, twirling acid-lines, heavily cut voice-samples and enough psychedelia to go around twice… I’m starting to sound like a broken record here, but really – this is another jaw-droppingly tune… Wikkid!

#08: Slide Remix

On this track Tron puts on his progressive-uplifting-morning trance boots… Well kinda! It’s not really progressive and it’s not really morning trance either… It’s something out of the Tron twilight zone: Filtered, funky psytrance with a big splash of tech-trance thrown in just to confuse you… Like an Etic tune spiked with peyote… Whatever it is, it’s very, very mouth-watering… It’s not as wow-what-the-hell-just-hit-me as some of the previous tracks, but it’s still pretty damn tasty!

#09: 8 Legged Taco

Taco for dessert! Things cool down a little for the final track which is another progressive-slash-morning trance hybrid… Cruising at a comfortable, laid-back speed this is another action-packed adventure into Tron land… Oddball twists and turns, psychedelic FX, cut beats, constant changes in pace and direction – without ever loosing the important flow… Oh yeah – this is versatile, eclectic, intelligent trance… Nicey nice!

The first feel-good album of 2006! And the best full-on album since Voice Of Cod’s We Are Free… Seriously – this is tha shiznitz! An influx of really great, overwhelming tracks – and there’s nothing even remotely close to a bad track here… It’s near perfection! Really! Those are big words coming from me, but I mean it… This is so fucking sweet that words doesn’t do it justice! Really!

Yeah, it’s been a while since I last heard such a versatile neo full-on album as the debut from Tron… Forget about boring, formulated full-on – this album has been spiked with a heavy dose of Mexican mescaline and it’s pouring out the speakers from start to finish… Versatility is the keyword – it’s a lot of fun, and we all know that fun rules! Enough blabber – just go get this album right now… It’s essential! Enjoy!

Favourites: 1(!!), 2, 3(!!), 4, 6(!!), 7(!), 9

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Liquid Records: http://www.liquid-records.com

Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/606132

Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/a5ktb

Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/9vb5j

Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/d8ovv

Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/cjsqm

Sounds cool.

420429[/snapback]

It actually sounds great. Tron's a very talented guy and really knows how to twist your head. As soon as we've got the OOOD album out of the way I'm going to start work on a remix of Infinity.

It actually sounds great.  Tron's a very talented guy and really knows how to twist your head.  As soon as we've got the OOOD album out of the way I'm going to start work on a remix of Infinity.

420467[/snapback]

Figures... That's good news Colin! Infinity is indeed the most 'UK sounding' track off the album... I can't wait to hear that remix... B)

/DP

Sounds different. I think the sample in track 4 is interesting. I find the hard kick drum rarely ever seems to change throughout most songs. I would have preferred if he accentuated the melodies a bit more too, as the beat seems to grow monotonous. Parts seem original. These words based on samples.

• 8 months later...

Surely hasnt passed the longevity test .. It sounded brilliant the first time i blasted it over a good system I was hoping it would sound different , grow on me etc over the period that I've had the cd but nothin .. I'm very blase about this one .. nothing special that i was hoping came out .. maybe expectation is a bitch !

I have to say this is one of my least favorite albums ever - aggressive fullon with few melodies, sound effects, and crowded soundstage - totally don't get the hype...

620208[/snapback]

I don't get this one at all as well. Gave it 2 listens and didn't find it attractive at all.

• 1 year later...