Positive Effects of bad things.

Krell

It has been some time since I fellt the urge to open a new topic on the net - I didnt have anything worth writing. (perhaps some wont find this worth writing/reading either, to them I sincerely apologize beforehand and bid you welcome to laugh at my geekyness) :-)

It is no secret that there has, for as long as I have been online(1996), been a negative attitude towards general trends and basicly everything that could be defined and talked about within the psychedelic scene.

Some of those are today and were through the years.

- MP3 Pirating.

- DAT Pirating.

- Too many labels.

- Too many artists releasing (due to too many labels).

- Complaints about low quality.

- Greedy Organizers.

- Greedy Artists.

- Greedy Labels.

- Untrustworthy Organizers.

- Untrustworthy Artists.

- Untrustworthy Labels.

- Drugs(this is not an allowed topic of discussion on some sites, keep it in mind - stay on topic).

- DJ Quality.

- Event Quality.

- Spirituality Yes / No.

- Meaning Lacking / Irrelevant.

- Genres / Music being defined and things becoming academic.

- Artists going commercial. (producing stuff that is on par with "dance" and more commercial "house".

Now - What I would like to hear about are the positive effects of those things -

They might be direct as in "Its good to know if an organizer is very bad and threatens artists, so, at least we can spread the knowledge" or "there might be too many labels for a commercial market, but more music is being released and more artists are being heard".

or

They might be indirect like "MP3 is maybe bad morally because many people steal music and make themselves criminals, but in fact many more releases get heard by people and as such more people get hooked" or "there might be a lot of bad Djs out there, but at least generally people are becomming more aware and demanding in regards to DJs".

So - Keep it positive - Even if you do not agree with each other - If you do not keep the discussion positive you have only prooved 1 thing, and that is you didnt read what I wrote or you didnt respect it anyway :-) I mean it, the intent is to focus on the good things instead of the bad things. Failure is there to learned from, so Im wondering what have we learned ? Also, what are we learning ?

Feel free to add more categories of your own :-) But - Try to let people speak for themselves, even if you disagree (write something positive instead).

And if this is just complete bullshit to you - Then please make sure your lame comment is at least funny ;-)

Best Wishes

Krell

Interesting thread.

I think there's a gap in understanding between artists and listeners that creates a good deal of badness. If listeners knew what artists went through to create, and the dreams they have when they think their stuff is really good and would be of good service to listeners, and the labels that are passionate about supporting these artists, only to get ripped off by pirates, I think it makes for some really bad energy.

I also don't like the general need to do drugs to really appreciate electronic music. In other words, I think the connection of drugs to music has done a lot of damage to the status of our music. Then again, drugs combined with music has done some good, I guess, when done mindfully, but how often does that happen?

Okay, that's it for now. :)

The positive thing about having too many labels:

Some of the small and/or unknown labels release stuff that is not the usual mainstream psy but something rather unique. It makes it harder to find it because there are so many releases, labels and artists but it also gives the scene more diversity.

here are my positive comments. i'm not generalising though, and there are always 2 sides of the coin.

MP3 Pirating

in my country the psy scene is small, the parties are small. i'm listening to music following the idea "download before you buy". we had these few psy parties in 2005 and 2 friends of mine are djs. i provided them with new releases (some CDs but mostly mp3s) for their gigs this year and their sets rocked music-wise. if i hadn't downloaded the releases, the music wouldn't have gotten heard. cause the scene is small. i got interested even a dj who's into d&b, electro, house. and some people were asking around like "hey cool track who's this?". so yeah, i'm talking about promotional effects. one of the 2 dj friends is doing well and i expect him to buy CDs. the other one is a poor student and won't buy.

Genres / Music being defined and things becoming academic

you can extend your "psy-vocabulary" by assisting to other people speaking about music defined in genres. the "newcommers" in the scene can observe from the "older" ones. then you can listen to the music and make your own judgement.

sure, there is a downside to this ... "newcommers" might be too shy to get into a conversation about defined genres. but at least they have someone to "learn" from. is this making any sense?

Greedy Organizers

the party/festival has chances to be a success, if the job is done right and with substantial effort. if everything comes out perfect for the people who pay the ticket, then all is good. i've seen organisers who made a great party, lost money cause they didn't sell enough tickets, but they were great people who deserved to win some nice money instead.

if the party is what i want, then i don't mind paying a little bit more. but if it's below my expectations, there won't be a "next time".

Hey, Krell, you remind me of my communications teacher :)

He told us to always focus on positive things first. Always! Because even in the worst things there can be found a grain of good.

Anyway...

I can only second the promotional factor of mp3 pirating and such. I wouldn't know ANYTHING of psy without mp3 AT ALL! Without mp3 I'd be a techno/trance-listening stupid chav, no joke, because that's what I was into before psy came! Mp3 saved my life, music-wise! And that is something to be forever thankful.

I am also pro academic music genre definition! When I want scandinavian melodic progressive morning trance then I want this special kind of music and nothing else. Many genres ease recommendations of similar stuff! I'd set the definitions really precise so that everybody knows what to check out when he/she likes this or that artist!

And there's even a good thing in event quality decreasing: people's expectations get lower and when you expect something bad and get something good (which is fortunately still possible) it's double yay for you (at least for me a positive surprise results in much more fun because of realizing having the luck to experience such a thing than when I expect something good and get something good). And when you expect something bad and get something bad you are not so pissed off like if you expected something good and get something bad...