VA - Left Coast Liquid (Native State records)

furthur

VA – Left Coast Liquid Vol. 1

Label: Native State Records (Canada) NSCD002

Date: 20 September 2005

Track listing:

01. 08’59” Shulman – NN3

02. 07’26” Sympath – Pond Life

03. 07’56” Bluetech – Leaving Winter Behind

04. 05’31” Rena - Autumn

05. 05’49” Nalepa - Fresh

06. 07’38” Bluetech – Oleander (Phutureprimitive Symbiotic Remix)

07. 05’28” Shakatura – Baldocious Turp

08. 05’22” Shen - Stonehouse

09. 05’10” Desert Dwellers - Parabolic

10. 06’49” Adham Shaikh – The Garden

Label’s Statement:

Streaming into a richly textured exploration of global ambient realms, Native State Records debut compilation is a flowing sound environment lacing together oceanic soundscapes with reverberating, intricate rhythms and glitch-dipped melodies.

Imbedding laid back grooves with polysignature ambience, Left Coast Liquid Vol. 1 graces global chill-out with the polished digital aesthetic that defines the label.

Compiled by Evan Bluetech, this second release from Native State is an eclectic mix of new world music and atmospheric downtempo embodying the warm and spacious elements of the West Coast. Crystal clean production values meets the inspired spirit of the emerging musical imagination, making this sonic foray into the future an instant underground classic.

Review:

Let’s go through this song by sog first.

1. Yaniv Shulman from Israel has been on the moniker since 2000, with 2 full-lengths under his belt, and joined two years ago by Omri Harpaz, another computer wizard, has given us this blissful song without a name. Here, we are engulfed in a very aquatic atmosphere right away. Sounds like children playing in an indoor pool, and slowly a melody breaks through like sun rays break through a sun roof. One can tell that the production is impeccable from the getgo. Extreme chillage material on this song without a name, as words are not fit to describe the emotions transmitted. Somewhat reminiscent of older ambient psychedelica, but with a brand new twist on it. Working with Ishq has definitely left an imprint on Shulman, raising the anticipation levels to new highs, as it takes a full 6 minutes for this one to fully break out of the beautiful nostalgic- but very happy-sounding intro. This one has everything, from flutes, to deep organic sounds, to out-of-this-world chanting. There is no way I am not dropping this in the chill space at this weekend’s party.

2. Sympath is a project I do not know much about other than it is a collaboration between Vancouver’s Noah Pred, aka Shen, and Native State’s label manager Naasko Wripple. An echo of a knife cutting through heavy fog opens this one with tribal percussion kicking in as the fog is dissipating. Very different from the previous song’s atmospheres, but blends in magnificently nevertheless. Definitely one to make you go from head-bopping to grooving on the dance-floor in those early dawn hours. As hypnotic as it can get without ever getting boring thanks to the slowly morphing layers around the driving percussion. Really great in all of its subtlety; hope to see more come out of this collaboration.

3. Evan Bluetech is a name on every chill lover’s lips these days, especially with a new album almost completed and due out on Aleph Zero. His sound is so distinct with the instrumental arrangements showcasing Evan’s musicianship. Leaving Winter Behind is perfect for an introspective moment atop a hill somewhere staring off into the distance listening to these perfectly blended sounds. Can’t really type anymore as I am carried away by a sonic wave bringing me into spring and revival. WOW

4. I am assuming that this is Rena Jones, the Bay Area string virtuoso for Candescent Orkestra and someone that has been gracing us with beautiful music ever since 97. Definitely sounds like her, superb cello playing combined with a relatively upbeat surrounding. Live instruments sound so good together with electronica, it is no surprise more and more people are giving us exactly this. Respect to Evan for choosing the order so well putting this after the previous piece, as we can still see some snow behind the dancer swaying in the wind to this highly danceable and yet very relaxing music.

5. Anyone that likes M-Audio products should feel at least some gratitude to Steve Nalepa, one of their software developpers, if I am not mistaken. Don’t know his music much, but recall seeing collaborations with Bill Laswell, so disappointment is unlikely here. Rebirth is in full swing here with moisture dropping off of newly-formed leaves, as the dew softly tickles our toes. A more IDM’ish piece here as the crackling and slight clicking flirts with the natural overtones. Nice to see “psychedelic” labels not being afraid of new sounds. A great interlude letting us collect our thoughts, or not, as we wish.

6. A remix of one West Coast masterpiece by another West Coast master. It is not unexpected to see the new king of dark chill choose this highly ominous song and make it even more menacing. As amazing as the original was, this is even better in my book. A nigthtime forest piece to be heard on a surround sound system. Here, the authors are hinting at synaesthesia and I am almost able to smell the fragrant music, but with such a name, I dare not taste the sounds, keeping my distance, witnessing the different sense-inducing elements of the song play in harmony. Majestic proof of darkness’ ability to soothe.

7. Bay Area’s Galen Butler has been releasing ethereal pieces since at least as far back as four years ago. Here, we wander into some slightly dubbier territory, reminding us that before building, we must shatter. In fact, it sounds like the process is much more simultaneous than we think. Furthermore, the process we observe here just might end up in a very steamy manner. Evan definitely wanted to cover all fronts with this compilation, blending not only genres, but sentiments as well, going from such nighttime, even forbidding if I may, material as the previous to such warm (even hot) sunny material on this one.

8. Another one by our very own Shen, making good use of deep driving percussion to offset the poppish melodies (I mean poppish in the best possible sense of the word). It feels as if though this song was not acting on my sensory apparatus, but directly on the inner organs, the drones hooking themselves into me. However with sounds this good, I do not mind them staying in me forever. It is hard to describe the impressions this can cause, do yourself a favour: listen to it.

9. If this is the same person that we used to know as Malamorph from Santa Fe, then I am very curious,as he has very experimental stuff, and already has a full-length entitled Biodiversity. If I had to stick this into a genre, I would call it experimental lounge (maybe ILM). I am sure that I have never heard this before (at least not in this life), but it sounds very familiar. Amani Friend, the main person behind this project, is very good at creating welcoming soundscapes, showing us that Desert Dwellers have a range wider that the most expansive desert. Very psychedelic in that pleasant kind of way opening up the inner child that is in us all.

10. And finally, a piece very different from Adham’s usual recent repertoire. A pioneer from BC producing music for well over a decade now and turning any open-air experience into a fairy tale experience, as I can attest to after this past summer. His next african beats infused album will be something essential too. Lets take a walk through his Garden. And what a mysterious and enchanting garden it is. It is best to lie down though and look at the cloud-filled sky, as this slow piece is the perfect companion to such an activity. Worthy of the best Ultimae compilations. Couldn’t have asked for a better closer.

What a voyage…

Not only is the music amazing, the flow is really great (and I am very hard to please in this department). It would be a huge understatement to say that there are no weak parts in this whole. In fact, each and every song here is very capable of bringing a tear to one’s eye.

This here is proves once again how strong the chill/ambient heritage of North America is, as all songs but one are by North American (specifically Left Coast) producers.

Even if some names might sound unfamiliar to some of us, none here are newcomers. Hope this will set an example fof the other labels to start looking outside the box for interesting material.

If you like to visit landscapes you have never imagined before, listen to this.

If you like to create new worlds, listen to this.

If you are a fan of inventive, original, unusual and inspired music that can take you through realms of moods, listen to this.

A strong 9.5 out of 10 from me (and just for the record, I have never given a 10, this is as close as it has gotten in a long long time).

Favourites: 1(!!!!), 2(!!), 3(!!!!),4(!!!),5(!!!),6(!!!!!),7(!!!),8(!!!!),9(!!),10(!!!).

Recommended.

s

• 4 months later...

Yes, this is a fine, fine selection of chill out tracks. I'm very impressed.

This compilation has a tracklist that builds into such a delicate and yet deep journey. There is nothing more powerful than the combination between "delicate" and "deep".

First, it was just playing in the background, low volume, while I was working. It was the remix of Bluetech's "Oleander" that really got my attention. Wow. Really nice, loaded with atmospheres, very emotional, I was instantly kidnapped and thrown into the sweetest journey. I played it again, and again, as it was making me feel good, and better. Then I "woke up" and listened to the whole compilation, with volume up.

I found variety with each tune, every artist in the tracklist has his own style, but the selection is done in such manner that the "delicate and deep" factor flows along with the tunes until the end.

Some tracks are really emotional and it's impossible not to get caught in them. Some tracks are really relaxing and it's impossible to hold on to your bad energies. And some tracks are really uplifting and it's impossible not to smile a little. These people are really tallented.

VA - Left Coast Liquid is so complicated, and yet so simple. I just love it.

Good luck Native State Records!

:)

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Posted Image

Various Artists

Left Coast Liquid Vol.1

Native State Records

Tracklist

1 Shulman - NN3 (8:59)

2 Sympath - Pond Life (7:26)

3 Bluetech - Leaving Winter Behind (7:56)

4 Rena Jones - Autumn (5:31)

5 Nalepa - Fresh (5:49)

6 Bluetech - Oleander (Phutureprimitive Symbiotic Remix) (7:38)

7 Shakatura - Baldocious Turp (5:28)

8 Shen - Stonehouse (5:22)

9 Desert Dwellers - Parabolic (5:10)

10 Adham Shaikh - The Garden (6:49)

After hearing some of the great artist albums released on native State Records, namely Rena Jones - Driftwood & Krill.minima - Nautica, I thought that it was definitely time to pick up some of their compilations. The first on my list was their first, Left Coast Liquid Vol.1. It has an impressive tracklist ranging from my Sci Fi companion Shulman to Rena Jones, whose album is still one of my favourite ever. I had high hopes for this one.

1. Shulman - NN3

Shulman here, offers us a more ambient intro the I'm used to from this project. Soft voice like synths a few spacey & glitchy sounds mixed with a very focused bass sound. All the elements come together harmoniously as the beat kicks in with less than 3 minutes remaining. The sound though reminds me of Bluetech rather than Shulman. Although it reminds me of Bluetech's work it has a definite Shulman stamp making it not sound like an imitation but more like a coincidental coming together of styles.

2. Sympath - Pond Life

Some hollow sounding tribal beats start this before these are joined by a steadier beat & underlying bass. A funky melody tries to emerge from beneath the bass but the beats are too much & it seems very subdued. The bass comes to dominate more & it seems to resonate through the mind like a small tremor. Behind it all, still very subtly is that funky feeling. The bass makes your body move 6 your mind vibrate, the synths make you feel lost & beats steady your feelings. All in all, this mixed back manages to balance out very well.

3. Bluetech - Leaving Winter Behind

Also released on Bluetech's album Sines & Singularities, this is one of the most distinguishable Bluetech tracks I have. The rhythmic melody & the short light stabs mix into the steady beat in a dream like way & this track never fails to lift my spirits. Everything oozes class & this is probably one of my favourite Bluetech tracks ever. It's happy & cold at the same time, melancholic yet hopeful. Great stuff.

4. Rena Jones - Autumn

A slightly more upbeat offering from Rena Jones than I'm used to but with just the same class & quality of her album on this same label. The cello work is very melancholic in it's feel but the quickness of the beat seems to bring the mood up. It's quite a peculiar feeling to have such melancholy & energy together but it works really well.

5. Nalepa - Fresh

The slightly melancholic feel of Rena's track has completely left & we are presented with a very bright, glitchy piece of downbeat. The feeling isn't quite there though. Whereas the other tracks seem to have some ambience in the background giving them depth, this is shallow & unlayered. What you hear on first listen is basically what you get forever. Very basic & over time not overly engaging.

6. Bluetech - Oleander (Phutureprimitive Symbiotic Remix)

You can instantly tell the difference in this track. Right from the start there is a lot of depth in the music. The bass, the ambience in the back, the long drawn out melody & the tight little sounds pinging through the music. All of it is such a trip, taking the mind away on sonic voyages. Dark, melancholic, beautiful, warm & cool at the same time and overall mysterious. This is a remix to behold. Even better than the original as not many remixes have done, Phutureprimitive have managed here)

7. Shakatura - Baldocious Turp

A more breakbeat track here. The beats just shuffle nicely as the melody reverberates through the still air, visually displacing it into ripple before me. Well not literally I'm sure but that's synaesthesia for you. The bass drives it along & the shuffling feel of the music never leaves. It's not just in the beats either but in the whole rhythm of the track. Pretty cool stuff!

8. Shen - Stonehouse

An interesting track from Shen, the style is much more punchy than previous tracks here, echoed in the length, this is much more to the point ideas rather than letting things grow. It's a nice track with a lot of very pleasant elements but it lacks depth & progression and ends up a bit pedestrian.

9. Desert Dwellers - Parabolic

A much more poppish melody, here. Very instantly gratifying but does actually stand up well after repeated listens. The melody progresses very well throughout so as the lack of depth in the track is less noticeable. There are layers here, and some sounds fit snuggly under the main melody but it's like the name suggests it's very illustrative of what it wants to be. A plane of existence easily accessible to man.

10. Adham Shaikh - The Garden

I do tend to get excited when I see the name Adham Shaikh. he has created some of the nicest & most versatile music I've heard & he doesn't disappoint here. Very different from what I was expecting but I have come to expect that from Adham Shaikh. This is more electronic than a lot of his very natural sounding stuff. As if it's been made just for this compilation, it fits in perfectly. Of course it has more natural elements, most noticeably the tribal beats & some muttered voices but all in all it's a lot more dubby than I've come to expect from him. Good stuff though & a nice way to round off the compilation.

Well this is mostly amazing! It's slightly brought down by a couple of weak, shallow tracks, Nalepa - Fresh & Shen - Stonehouse but other than that the music is all must have. So in total this is a must have compilation. Even those two weak tracks don't ruin the mood or derail the comp. It ends up being a 66 minute ride through a lot of cool, deep downtempo music.

Enjoy!

Amazing compilation!!!

Baught this cause the cover was so beautiful.... the music is 100 times better!! :D

Sweet,emotional,deep and trippy,relaxing and soothing!!!

I love it!!!

:):):):)

I agree. Not much to add, this is a near-perfect compilation. Favorite of mine! : )