Most conceptual albums

seraph

I've said this over and over again, but here goes: Ubar Tmar is one the most talanted and most overlooked artists of psy-trance. His True album is one of the most incredible releases in the psy-trance genre.

Just got to drop a line that it sure is a unique album and I'm deeply in love with it! :wub:

I think I have this so called "simon posford syndrom" but in this case my idol is takeshi isogai! :D It seems everything he makes I love :) I'd really kill to see the guy live! ^_^

302287[/snapback]

i ve seen him playing in athens around 3 years ago... i love all of takeshi's stuff and had a very nice time...*

even got to meet the man himself.. very chilled person, who surprised me by his modesty and polite ways!

*although, btw as i ve said before at the live some weirdo threw an empty water bottle to him... which was very sad to witness!

anapreciative bastard!

Global Communication - Pentamerous Metamorphosis - i actually called it 'phases' for so long cause all the tracks are alpha phase, beta, etc.

Jairamji - Kindred spirits (Daikini) - is gorgeous piece of down tempo... and there is clear idea throughout the thing of well being, it's very organic stuff...

- stress assassin - carrier track - ultra mellow dubby beats on top ambient surroundings... is not my fav. but there is a sense of unity and a concept, sure...

To add some:

Hallucinogen - Lone Deranger (not sure if this was mentioned, but is definitely a concept album)

Androcell - Emotivision

Antix - Lull

Son Kite - Colours

Vibrasphere - Lime Structure

Shulman - In Search...

Everything Ishq was involved with

Ott - Blumenkraft

and...

Dark Side of the Moon

To add some:

Hallucinogen - Lone Deranger

Son Kite - Colours

Vibrasphere - Lime Structure

Shulman - In Search...

302875[/snapback]

Yes...;)

A recent release that should be mentioned is CPC's album Über den Angst, great stuff!

302458[/snapback]

Ah yeah, kick arse psy/techno whatever album.. nothing boring here, i love this style!

I really do not understand what makes these particular albums (as posted by Seraph, for example) so 'conceptual'.

Is the music itself particularly 'conceptual'? I doubt it. Is it the titles of the songs or the samples used? Do they have any message that they are trying to eloquently impart? Most songs do try to have some theme - does that make them conceptual? I would imagine that most of the albums mentioned (and I own quite a few of them) really do not rate as having an interesting concept in them.

A Tony Bennet collection of love songs probably has a single more unifying theme than these psy trance CDs...

Perhaps this shows my age, but I have a distrust of so-called concept albums. They used to be a dime-a-dozen back in the 1970s....Pretentious bands and their precious little fans and their faux sophistication. I won't name names, but you chaps know exactly what I am talking about...

My idea of concept albums is something like (in rock, for example) Beatles - Sgt Peppers or The Kinks - Village Green. In classical it would be something like Glass's Einstein on the Beach. Or Berg's superb Wozzeck (that is what I call concept!). Shame that a shaky, cowardly US soldier shat in his pants and killed him...

If you were able to forego the 'storyline' requirement (and I do understand those whose definition of concept does require it), there is plenty of other stuff in classical such as many of the landmark pieces of the second Viennese school.Worldless electronic music has plenty of concept stuff as well - from Oval's music to Brinkman's variations on Platikman's 'Concept 1:96'. Music conceptuals are so much more fun!

Back to the storyline definition of 'concept' and to psy trance as well:

Perhaps the reason I often do not recognize 'concepts' in psy trance is not because we can not create a definition of 'concept' that will include them. We can. It is because most of these concepts are forced, artificial and, ultimately, vacuous. Sort of like Mystery of the Yeti. Or the Crystal Skulls (great music though)...

Pedro