Bad labels?

Ok, spill it out. I want to hear about all the dirt here. And please spare me Chemical Puke, Spun.World PhoneyCall and all the big supermarket labels that release kiddish pop tunes. I wanna hear about the labels that don't pay their artists a dime, those that make mastering through TV sets and those that have a quality control of a 14 y/o teenage that just popped his first E.

Hit it.

No PLUR here please, this is a filtering session. Only the fittest will survive.

Although Crystal matrix release some good tune their mastering on their comps are absolutely appalling. That goes for tracks that are equed badly, poor muffled sound. Oracle and Utopia 2 are high contenders for this.

Ketuh releases could also do with some better mastering aswell.

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

I think about F.P rec, their covers suck, always pics of foot it's getting boring, you'll told me that's normal as F.P stands for fetishist production , and the music only copycats of skazi riffs :P

the label seems to be hold by a certain P.Zagalsky... :D

I think about F.P rec, their covers suck, always pics of foot it's getting boring, you'll told me that's normal as F.P stands for fetishist production , and the music only copycats of skazi riffs  :P

the label seems to be hold by a certain P.Zagalsky...  :D

275257[/snapback]

:huh:

Candyflip never paid 12 Moons fully for his two albums on their label - he got SOME money, but not all of it. There is more about this on isratrance, search for the user Tolvan and you'll find it.

I could make a long list of those that dont pay their artists but it's top secret  :ph34r:

275392[/snapback]

If I may believe all the rumours, I can only say that is true... But I'm not sure if it's always the labels fault, I know some labels that still need alot of money from their distributor, and as long as they didn't get it, they can't pay the artists... :unsure:

Luckely Arabesque is a reliable distributor! :lol:

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

:huh:

275386[/snapback]

it's a very underground label, never seen their Killargh/it's gay/ foot fetish covers ?

:lol:

More seriously, there's something strange about Mandragore rec (french label), i got a promo of their debut compilation & was scheduled to got released in the last quarter of 2004 then beginning of 2005...

Today seems it still doesn't get released, i don't know why, i just remember reading some of the french artists (not all) involved in the project complaining about that on french Trance-Goa forum.

At least i hope they got paid :unsure: , if someone can enlighten us...

Guest .::E.P

If I may believe all the rumours, I can only say that is true... But I'm not sure if it's always the labels fault, I know some labels that still need alot of money from their distributor, and as long as they didn't get it, they can't pay the artists...  :unsure:

Luckely Arabesque is a reliable distributor!  :lol:

275408[/snapback]

That's true but I only speak out of personal experience and believe me many labels with a few exceptions dont pay before you start to raise your voiceand preasure them to pay what they own you. And if you got an contract that say that they have to pay you every 6 months + 90 days and it's not written down that they can avoid to pay you if they dont get their own money from distributors then they have to pay you and stop all the bad excuses.

I've met many dodgy labels in my time and a few professional ones.

Organic & Nova Zembla?  :D

275399[/snapback]

Oh more than those 2 labels mate ;)

I must say that the ones that been best and always pay at right time and treat their artists very well are/were:

Dragonfly/Butterfly (Most professional when it come to treating artists right)

Tribal Vision

Chill Tribe Records

T.I.P (Old version of the label)

Matsuri

Blue Room

The rest of whom I wont mention any names always tried/try to stall the payments if they at all send out statements. I cant count on my hands how many times I have had to calll/write to tell them to send statments. Some statements arrived 6-8 months too late and then I had to fight with them more than 6 months further to get paid.. Very unprofessional and direspectful seen in the light that without our music they would not have a label at all.

After my new releases will be released I will release all my own material on my own label.. It's easier :)

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

Oh more than those 2 labels mate ;)

I must say that the ones that been best and always pay at right time and treat their artists very well are/were:

Dragonfly/Butterfly (Most professional when it come to treating artists right)

Tribal Vision

Chill Tribe Records

T.I.P (Old version of the label)

Matsuri

Blue Room

The rest of whom I wont mention any names always tried/try to stall the payments if they at all send out statements.  I cant count on my hands how many times I have had to calll/write to tell them to send statments.  Some statements arrived 6-8 months too late and then I had to fight with them more than 6 months further to get paid..  Very unprofessional and direspectful seen in the light that without our music they would not have a label at all.

After my new releases will be released I will release all my own material on my own label.. It's easier :)

275468[/snapback]

I think it's getting more & more frequent and also the most logical solution but only quite already acclaimed/famous/experienced artists can afford it, so it's not too much possible for newcomers.

If I may believe all the rumours, I can only say that is true... But I'm not sure if it's always the labels fault, I know some labels that still need alot of money from their distributor, and as long as they didn't get it, they can't pay the artists...  :unsure:

275408[/snapback]

Distributors many times is very slow to pay but it's up to the label what distributor they use and what deal they make with them.

The artist make a deal with the label not with the distributor, so when the distributors pay the label is not their concern.

When I get a mechanic to fix my car and then don't pay them because my employers did not pay me it's ok?

If you don't have money to pay the artists don't run a label or make commercial parties, it's simple as that.

If the label do not fulfill the deal it's their fault, maybe for being stupid enough for starting a label without the neccessary financials or maybe for using the wrong distributor, but nevertheless the fault is theirs.

but only quite already acclaimed/famous/experienced artists can afford it, so it's not too much possible for newcomers.

275494[/snapback]

It's quite expensive for me but it's more expensive not to and to release with labels simply because you make squat with them. I rather have full control over everything and actually also make a little extra this way if possible and sell my music via more channels than a CD and a online shop as most labels seem to limit themselves to these days. This way I can also sell it directly from my own website, at physical clothes shops etc. on cafe's, parties/festivals etc. etc.

The posibilities are so much wider simply because there's 100% self control over how I can sell my music and how I choose to promote my music.

Distributors many times is very slow to pay but it's up to the label what distributor they use and what deal they make with them.

The artist make a deal with the label not with the distributor, so when the distributors pay the label is not their concern.

When I get a mechanic to fix my car and then don't pay them because my employers did not pay me it's ok?

If you don't have money to pay the artists don't run a label or make commercial parties, it's simple as that.

If the label do not fulfill the deal it's their fault, maybe for being stupid enough for starting a label without the neccessary financials or maybe for using the wrong distributor, but nevertheless the fault is theirs.

275548[/snapback]

Well yes, in theory you are 100% right, and when we started the label we had put a BIG amount aside in case something goes wrong, or we were paid late, but luckely that was no problem so far...

BUT

If I may believe Kluster Stone Age didn't get their money of 2-3 releases from Cosmophilia... you know this is a HUGE amount (like 1000 cds at least of each release?). If you want their money you can start sueing them, and then we are months/years later already... So artists should get paid, 100% agree, but when a label is ripped off by the distributor they should understand that the money comes later (when they had it from the distributor)...

And this means the main problem seems to be the distributor in most cases (some labels not, I know, and well, write their names here, fuck them). But because in the trance scene it is fobidden to talk about this kind of stuff new labels don't know who to trust and who don't...

I mean, we were already glad we found a distributor, we could only hope he paid like it was written down in the contract, but luckely he did, so our artists will always get their money, but I can understand some labels have big financial problems if they simply don't get the money from their cd-sales!

It's quite expensive for me but it's more expensive not to and to release with labels simply because you make squat with them. I rather have full control over everything and actually also make a little extra this way if possible and sell my music via more channels than a CD and a online shop as most labels seem to limit themselves to these days. This way I can also sell it directly from my own website, at physical clothes shops etc.  on cafe's, parties/festivals etc. etc.

The posibilities are so much wider simply because there's 100% self control over how I can sell my music and how I choose to promote my music.

275558[/snapback]

Sounds like a good plan, but do realise a label is also alot of work, I gues, as an artist, you make music, sell it, and that's it... With a label you'll have an extra part time job on top of your normal work... But if it pays off it's worth it for sure!

Sounds like a good plan, but do realise a label is also alot of work, I gues, as an artist, you make music, sell it, and that's it... With a label you'll have an extra part time job on top of your normal work... But if it pays off it's worth it for sure!

275599[/snapback]

Believe me I do almost all myself these days anyway so it wont be so much more work. And I've worked in the business before so I know what it's all about.. You just need to do the work it require. And most important.. Know how to actually promote the music.

Isratrance and psynews is not prober promotion in my opinion.

The biggest fault quite a few of the labes make is to release new material funded by the artists royalties because they haven't recieved the money from the distributors yet. I've seen it happen many times and always had answers like this to why i did not recieve my royalties:

"We had to use the money for our latest release, but you will get your royalties when we get our money from the distributor or sold this new release"... Meaning 8-10 months too late - if ever!

I am like wtf? So they relase new stuff with money they own me and paying advances to other artists with my money!

This happens all the time.

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

Believe me I do almost all myself these days anyway so it wont be so much more work. And I've worked in the business before so I know what it's all about.. You just need to do the work it require. And most important.. Know how to actually promote the music.

Isratrance and psynews is not prober promotion in my opinion.

275622[/snapback]

prober? (i'm a poor frengrish speaking) does that means , it could be done more , better or different.

In this case what are you thinking about, tell us :)

prober? (i'm a poor frengrish speaking) does that means , it could be done more , better or different.

In this case what are you thinking about, tell us  :)

275697[/snapback]

Proper is the correct word. ;)

It means suitable, correct, appropriate.

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

Concerning psytrance distributor choice for a label, it's quite limited indeed between:

-Arabesque

-Wirikuta

-Cosmopholia

-Wakyo (in japan)

-Arcadia (in japan)

-Boa

-Bne

-Phonokol

-ZMA

-Psyshop (it seems they have exlusivity with some labels)

-Tranceshop (i think they take care of Hom Mega)

I probably forget some others but there's probably a little dozen of distributors that's very few compared to the hundreds of psytrance & chill labels.

As the numbers of distributors are limited, this needs to think about the relation between online or traditionnal musicshops & the distributors.

For example i've heard several times that it wasn't the perfect love between Psyshop & Wirikuta...

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

Proper is the correct word.  ;)

It means suitable, correct, appropriate.

275702[/snapback]

if it's proper it changes it all :lol: it enters my frengrish limited vocabulary :lol:

Anyhow E.P what do you precognize for promotion if Isra & Psynews aren't enough

if it's proper it changes it all  :lol: it enters my frengrish limited vocabulary  :lol:

Anyhow E.P what do you precognize for promotion if Isra & Psynews aren't enough

275716[/snapback]

magazines, flyers, posters, radio promotion etc etc. launch parties - proper promoton in the real world.