Compression and EQ

I have noticed that a lot of people talk about compression and equalizing and how important it is to compress and equalize everything all the time to get a deasent sound.

Well i don't agree. So i decided to make a track completely without compressors and equalizers (not for mixing, not for soundshaping, none of these sounds have gone through a compressor or eq). I also decided not to use any premade samples (since you can't be sure if they have been processed by eqs or compressor), including samples from romplers and drum machines.

So what we have here is a track with no eq, no compressor, no samples and since we shouldn't mix on headphones i did that too. :D

Most of the sounds are made on a nordrack1, i also use a Yamaha TG77 and a Ensoniq ESQ1. (i only used the fm-part of the TG77 and i only used basic waveformes on the ESQ1) and the kick is made in soundforge. It's not mastered, 100% free from compression and eq.

> Download here <

So what do you think? Im not trying to say that we shouldn't use compressors and equalizers, but i don't think every sound has to be compressed and equalized to hell and back like most people producing pstyrance seem to think.

I have noticed that a lot of people talk about compression and equalizing and how important it is to compress and equalize everything all the time to get a deasent sound.

Well i don't agree. So i decided to make a track completely without compressors and equalizers (not for mixing, not for soundshaping, none of these sounds have gone through a compressor or eq). I also decided not to use any premade samples (since you can't be sure if they have been processed by eqs or compressor), including samples from romplers and drum machines.

So what we have here is a track with no eq, no compressor, no samples and since we shouldn't mix on headphones i did that too.  :D

Most of the sounds are made on a nordrack1, i also use a Yamaha TG77 and a Ensoniq ESQ1. (i only used the fm-part of the TG77 and i only used basic waveformes on the ESQ1) and the kick is made in soundforge. It's not mastered, 100% free from compression and eq.

> Download here <

So what do you think? Im not trying to say that we shouldn't use compressors and equalizers, but i don't think every sound has to be compressed and equalized to hell and back like most people producing pstyrance seem to think.

217919[/snapback]

Yes, but try to do fullon track without eq an compressor.

Yes, but try to do fullon track without eq an compressor.

217927[/snapback]

is that the only psytrance that counts nowadays? :huh: aren't you missing the point a little bit?

I haven't listened to the track yet, but I will sure as hell do it when I get home. :)

I have been nagging a lot lately about how incorrect view many people seem to have about compressors and EQ.

I totally agree with you Negrosex.

It's tools to use when you have a problem with the source sound and is not a must on any sound to make it sound good.

In fact I hear much more often that sounds seem destroyed by overcompressing and EQ'ing than sounds that sound like they really need some treatment.

To say that you could not make full-on without compressors and EQ is just showing a lack of understanding for the possibilties you have on synths to control amplitude

and frequency.

Someone here said that they spoke to GMS and they say they do not use any compression on the bass for example.

Envelopes on modern synths can be dead tight, and trying to get more punch out of them by compressing will only destroy the sound.

No matter what music you are making, good sound is coming from using good sounds that fit together to start with.

Sometimes things do not work out as you want or there is limitations with a sound source and you have to use corrective measures.

Exactly my thoughts.

I also think you have to think about frequency ranges etc when you design and layer the sounds. Try to use Filters applied to the instruments instead of EQing/compressing the hell out of everything... Of course EQing is really needed in some cases, if there is too much "empty" frequency space, or if there are som severe overlaps for example.

I actually use EQing and compression very rarely. In the beginning I've been told Compression and EQ stuff is so important, I was just focused on these things so that I had a very poor sound, it was just the other way round... On my newest track, I sent maybe 3 Channels through EQ, and only the clap through compressor, and I feel more content than ever with the result... I think that's mainly because my imagination of how frequencies work has become much better and I try to adapt my sounds to these frequency ranges when I design these (synth) sounds...

But after all, it's just a question of your ears :)

Agree with you guys!

As Spindrift has been saying to us (Swan X-1), we are losing the (bad) idea of compressing and EQing everything..

By our experience, over compression makes the mix to become muddy and with poor sound definition/clarity... and too-much-EQ is normally extra-work-to-ruin-whats-good! :D

I now think (as Cybernetika) that good samples and good Frequency architecture (studing the holes and the tops, seeing where are our sounds placed and where's the empty room) are the key to achieve a good mix.. and it's easier too! :) you just have to give your ears (and eyes, through spectrum analysers) and nice deep frequency training :rolleyes:

Overall compression, in mastering stage, will pump things up nicelly if the frequencies are at balance, with minimum distortion and maximum loudness.

hi here....

:blink::o very nice sound....

All this without eq and comp. :blink::o

Very nice..... you are right, the key is good frequencie spread ......first of all...

Thanx to open my mind to this fact ......

Now i will try to use more the spectrum analyser....... :P

bye

I agree that everyone is way too into compressing the hell out of everything, but then you can kind of what "productions fads" come and go on the various psy forums. Seems like every 9 months or so some people discover some new aspect of production that the rest of the music industry has known about for years and then every jumps on the band wagon until the next one comes along. My overall guide to usuing compression for me is pretty simple. Does it sound better? If yes, use it, if not, don't. Personally I think compression is in general much more vital in the recording of live instruments than it is in electronic ones, but it has its place. But you don't have to stick it on everything.

It's nice to see that so many people agree with me on this issue.

I think that all this hype around compressors and equalizers can be destructive for the beginning producers. If someone is just starting to make music and reads on forums like this that it's all about compression and eq they will probably get a pretty distorted view of how music production works.

I can just imagine a young producer sitting in front of his computer scratching his head. "How do i eq this to make it sound good?" "This bassline sounds like crap, it probably needs more compression"...

If something sounds bad or doesn't fit in the mix then just discard it, or save it and use it for another song. Don't sit for hours with a compressor or eq and try to make a crappy sound seem less crappy. The great thing about electronic music is that you can make a new sound in a few minutes.

And don't take these music pruduction forums too seriously, you don't have to compress every single channel just becauce some guy says so on an internet forum. Even if your favourite artist does it. There are no rules, just trust your ears and make great music. :)

So what we have here is a track with no eq, no compressor, no samples and since we shouldn't mix on headphones i did that too.  :D

> Download here <

217919[/snapback]

Good samples will sound good, it's that simple I think. You can't make a great track just by mixing and mastering.