just a poll

ritual om

which of you do think that the old goa sound mostly between the period of 1996-1999 had a stronger effect on you than the after 2000 period?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. which of you do think that the old goa sound mostly between the period of 1996-1999 had a stronger effect on you than the after 2000 period?

• i prefer the old sound
    • i prefer the sound and the production's direction this music has taken nowadays

Sorry to slag this topic down, but Psy started way before 1996 :( I like both, and there is not "you have to chose" for me.

There are pros and cons in both old and new music. The 303 has disapeared, but that only makes room to come up with new stuff. Maybe someone will do something mad cool with a 303 very soon, who knows? I think the scene needs evolution, as any other scene does.

People come and go from the scene, as in any scene. Some people are conservative, some are evolutionists! Nothing wrong in any of them I believe. I know people that have listened to the same music for over 40 years, and they still love it as they heard it the first day. As long as you are happy, that is what matters to me.

There is room for all of us, its just a pitty that oldschool goa trance parties are no longer arranged in the manners of the old days... I wish I had time to throw parties again, then I would make a mix of old vibes and new music, new vibes with old music, and all at one big party.

Shit, already ran out of energy, only had about 5 hours sleep. Back to bed, and then we can continue this discussion :)

nice thoughts.i agree with everything u said but the thing is that for many people that listen to psy today's music is surely better sounding because of the evolution of technology but the strusture of the music is more empty,is more meaningless...has nothing that could could make them say that's fucking awesome!(except for a few exceptions).i speak for myself(and maybe for many others).nowadays for me psy is a nice piece of kit of sounds,bass,percussion,melody(that was a slight joke) but has nothing to keep me moving.it has nothing to do with mind food.it doesn't trigger my brain.i feel that the spirit is so long gone.see u next time!

feel that the spirit is so long gone.see u next time!

Hey, I feel the same, the spirit is just not there anymore. But lets not forget that the people also are a part of the vibe. People in general have changed since I started listening to psy/trance.

Nowadays I see a lot of drugheads sitting around at the parties, and very few dance all night long. I remember MANY good parties, and I must say, the ones that I remember most, were not the ones where I remember the music. No I remember the ones best, that I met a lot of people, and where the vibe was just mad! Of course, the music was very good at these parties, but the people made it sound good.

Very intressting discussion this, I must admit :)

I'm with you DJ Nemo about not beeing able to choose which music I like better. I will definitely not vote in this poll because I love old-school but there are also a lot of new releaeses that fit me.

I also have to add something regarding the vibes at the parties. It is true that the people create the vibe. And it is also true that there are a lot of drugheads at the parties. But I guess the problem is different. I think that nowaydays (at least in my area) a psy party isn't something special. I mean there are parties every weekend, and also nearly every weekend there is at least one DJ or live act from a foreign country. As much as I know it wasn't always like that. Goa parties used to be sort of hidden from the general knowledge. It wasn't as easy as today to find a good party or a party at all. Goaheads where a sort of community (we still are, but it is somehow less familiar because there are more and more people). So nowadays people can choose out of 5 or 6 parties and after they have chosen they expect the absolut non-plus-ultra party feeling. And if there is something that doesn't fit in this criteria people start bitching about the organisators, the DJs, whatever. I think some (a lot) people go to a party and just wait for something to be wrong. They go to parties every weekend and a "normal" party with "normal" music and "normal" people and "normal" decoration doesn't entertain them enough. So they start to complain and spreading a bad vibe.

Just my 2 cents...

Tatsu, this is why I go to around 3-4 parties a year (Exept when I am playing of course) and I chose them very carefuly. Mostly I go back to Sweden to dance in some forest with around 100 other psy loving creatures.

The best parties I have been to are small, cozy and full of friendly people. OK, there are drugs, but its not like we go there for the drugs! We go to be together, to talk, to dance, to reach to another dimension and learn from eachother...

There is nothing more disturbing than anabola speedheads on a party, and unfortunately, this is the case on many parties :(

Musical - wise i prefer old sound, production - wise I like new sound better but I still ADORE old, roar, analogic sounding cause it goes perfectly with phillosophy of music made before. Maybe this so called EVOLUTION lies exactly in better production where people started to pay most of the attention on clear sounds and bunch of effects. Not that I mind that but there was before certainly more spirit and evolution I have to say. This new evolutionary thing is driving me mad, everyone keep talking about it like nothing from before ever was quality and they need to evolve something that was shit. Well, I am not in that area, I believe that most spiritual and enchanting and enlightening music was made before, especially 93-99. Those 6 years produced hundreds of synaesthetical, acid, melodic, mad, pumping, hard trance ever and I'd do everything to hear those harmonies, melodies, 303's back again these days...

.....but the thing is that for many people that listen to psy today's music is surely better sounding because of the evolution of technology but.....

200660[/snapback]

Well actually for me it's exactly the opposite... the sound today is a lot worse!! (of course there are few exeptions)

1. People used to use a lot more analog hardware synths back in the day. And analog simply sounds way better! (IMO)

2. Hardware synths are more intuitive to work with than software synths and the result is there for more humanised and free... i.e. not so stiff like todays clinical and 'shiny' production done entirely inside a computer.

3. Today any kid can download professional music software from the net for free and make 'professional' sounding music. In 90-98 you had to have hardware synths and fx-prosessors whitch were not cheap... that means you had to be very dedicated to making music to spend all your hard earned money for gear. And that means psytrance producers used to be generally older and they had some previous experience with some real music instruments... now a days most of the kids start straight away music making with only computers. That's not entirely bad thing because in future there will more and more music makers... and that means more good music... it's just that at the moment we are still not there... when the todays kids grow older and get more experience I bet we are going to hear lot of interesting music. :)

<_< first of all i totally agree with seraph.secondly djnemo i am glad that u find it an interesting discussion cause i doubt if there are a lot of people who have the same opinion.as for what u mentioned i have to set u a question:wouldn't u like a party containining both:music full of spirit and people with nice positive vibes?cause the parties i remember are exactly these;the ones that had a storming playlist and such a nice vibe fron the co-dancers.i must add that i also go to mostly 2-3 parties a year.i must also add that if one wants just to meet nice people and dance there are other activities to attend to,not only psy parties.i have been recently to parties at which modern psychedelic was played and i met a loy of people.i danced for a while but alwys i stopped cause the main thing is music.if it doesn't make u moving nothing else does(or if it does it doesn't have the same feeling,effect that makes it so damn magical).the conclusion is that this party i am telling u off was more of a meeting than of a psy party.for me a party is like an car:music is the gas and people is the engine(actually part of the engine)if there is no gas then the cars won't move:thatis people won't dance.it doesn't mean they won't have a good time though.

as for what tatsu said,my friend i am sure that if the old sound was back u wouldn't have to search in 100 releases to find something interesting but in every 20 releases u would find something extraordinary.the nubers that i refer to are just imaginative. :P

i agree with most of the stuff shpongled said.but i must add something else:i think that if simon or pleiadians handled this new technology as they did once we wouldn't believe our ears...! :rolleyes:

create some hard pumping music for the heart and for the brain all you out there and keep the spirit alive ;)

I think what most people seem to forget is that it's the same in all genres nowadays.

In the end of the 80's until the mid 90's there was loads of new genres developing, and loads of truely inspired artists.

Times have changed, the inspirational wibe has gone down.

Nowadays it's just a lot harder to create something that sounds new and fresh.

The technology have very little to with why the music sound generally less inspired today.

All this talk about analog sounding so much better, or that it being very expensive to make music should be the reason behind I personally don't belive a second.

Sure, it's ironic that by the time technolgy allowed you to do anything you imagined with much greater ease and less expense, it felt like it was all done anyway.

Before people had to struggle more to get the sound they wanted. Nowadays the struggle is to know what sound you wan't.

Not because of the technology, but because of the stage we are in music evolution in general.

It really doesn't matter what equipment you use as for how inspired it sounds.

For me trance is at least as alive today as Dn'B, acid, house, hip-hop, trip-hop, techno, EBM, industrial and all the other genres that got established during the end of the 80's beginning of 90's.

If everyone was making music that sounded like the hits from 95-97 still I really think i would be really bored with the scene many years ago.

I don't totally agree with neither the minimal wave that was, or the full-on or now the dark-psy. But i'm sure happy that everthing haven't sounded the same for almost 10yrs.

The inspirational vibe will come back...for me we are back in a situation similar to the 70's when not so much really new came about except punk (not the most inspired music maybe, mostly attitude based, like much dark-psy today) and glam rock (that would be the cheezy full on guys today i guess). We will progress and have a new wave of inspiration eventually.

Personally I get accused sometimes of making very old-school music, which doesen't really bother me. I think one of the worst things is when you hear that the producer really tries hard to make something that doesn't sound like anything else. It gives a kind of claustrophobic feel to the music.

But it's almost equally disturbing when someone tries to reproduce the sound of days gone past.

I hope more ppl go with the flow and do what they feel like, and don't bother so much about new-school or old-school. If it kicks butt on the dancefloor it's really good enough for me. And there is music like that coming back nowadays in my opinion, new and oldish sounding. Less intellect and pretensions is what we need, and more ppl enjoying themself in the studio.

as for what tatsu said,my friend i am sure that if the old sound was back u wouldn't have to search in 100 releases to find something interesting but in every 20 releases u would find something extraordinary.the nubers that i refer to are just imaginative. :P

200746[/snapback]

I guess you must have mistaked me for another poster. I didn't write any numbers of releases that fit me. At the moment there is enough good stuff coming out for me, even if I like the old sound a lot. I just commented the bad vibes at parties.

@DJ Nemo:

I don't mind people using drugs at parties. I never had any problems with drugged up people, no matter what they take. It's more like it's funny to listen to their stories... :) But maybe this is because I have it like you with parties, I went only tho two psy parties this year (and maybe 2 or 3 trance parties) and I've enjoyed them a lot. I thought the people were friendly, the decoration was good and so on. maybe I would think otherwise if I'd still go to a party every weekend. I guess I'm getting a bit old, I absolutely don't need going out every weekend anymore.

The Old Goa sound had the capability of taking a person into time travel.........which today's psy ain't capable of, it does'nt mean that its bad but i use to get sucked in the time-warp when listening to old goa which happens rarely with todays tracks..

Hari Om ;)

I think every year it gets worst!!! Every single release from 2004 is boring, senseless, and are a complete lack of quality and waste of production / money, this year is almost like a curse for psytrance and i hope the next year we see what is real evolution in music and not commercial trash like we used to hear along the year, it's pathetic, it's awful, it's almost like a nightmare, i still miss the sounds from 2002 and i will remain thinking that 2002 was the best year for psytrance and every year it just gets more hellish, i will remain with this idea until we really see that the artists begin making real evolution in their music, i hope that day comes sometime.

Very interesting point of view. For me 2002 has been the year that bored me a lot with its releases. And this hear has been a very good one, at least if I look at it from the psy side of life. What kind of stuff do you like listen to? I think it is hard and very bad for you to not even like one single release.

Well, i forgot, the only release that is worth listening / buying and that really shows a evolution of sound must be for : X-Dream - We Interface, btw i used to listen to Wizzy Noise / X-Dream in 2002 both bands released an album at the same time that year, and for my taste were the best! That's why i think that 2002 was the best year for psytrance, and now the only releases that catch my attention were :

Juno Reactor - Labyrinth

X-Dream - We Interface